• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 17 December 2006 - 05:24 PM

:D I was at camp cutting firewood yesterday when the landowner we lease from showed up. He ordered me to put away the chainsaw, grab my shotgun, and team up with him on some grouse. So I obliged him and his GSP"Kelly" for a couple hours of brush popping. We flushed 5 in one spot within 30 minutes....he got 2 with 2 shots. I got 1 and removed a few feathers from another which regained altitude and crossed the road beyond recovery. LOL I got a total of 6 more quick shots at the brown buzz bombers but never got the elusive 2nd bird. We figured that about 13-16 birds were flushed about a total of 24 times counting the reflushes. The birds wouldn't hold on point and most ran ahead before flying but it sure was fun and he wants to try again next Saturday. At the end of the hunt he laughed about hunting all over this season and only getting 1 grouse before coming up to his own property and hitting the motherlode. LOL, he kept asking where we were and which direction back to the trucks. *his wife came up to camp the last day of rifle season and got a deer while hunting with Paul/Eric/& Woodhick....so I'll bet we see more of them next season! ;)...I think I better put away the shotgun and use the 06 cause I seem to shoot better with crosshairs than beads! :wacko:

Edited by Phil, 17 December 2006 - 05:26 PM.

Posted Image

#2 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 17 December 2006 - 05:48 PM

Sure sounds like Denny and His wife are cultivating a renewed love affair for the property. I can vouch for the broad smiles on both of their faces when they left camp with venison on the carrier. We did bump a bunch of grouse during our pushes for deer.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#3 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 10:14 AM

Phil good shooting. The grouse in Ohio have been few and far between the past years.

I'd rather yell birds than run a chain saw any day. Thanks for sharing that one.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#4 Ironranger

Ironranger

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 24 February 2007 - 10:42 PM

Those Aspen Rockets are sure fun!! Sounds like a great time in the field. The grouse are on their upswing here in MN and were good this past fall. I'm assuming you are on the same plane of the cycle as us in MN Phil but I could be wrong. We normally see increase in population with peaks towards the bottom third of each decade. Grouse should be even better next fall and hopefully it will be a dry/warm spring for a good hatch.

#5 Eric

Eric

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 09:15 AM

You know Tim the last time we had an abundance of grouse was back in the late 80's early 90's. I will admit this year I have seen more birds and getting the crap scared out of us when they take out right under your feet. :lol: :lol:
AKA PA Spike King
Casters Hunting Club
Real Men Shoot Flintlocks
International Harvester Tractors
2008 Realtree Turkey Contest Team Champs!

#6 paturbo

paturbo

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 12:12 AM

Sounds like you had a great time Phil. At least you got out of work and got to do some fun. We have very little grouse around here.

MD

#7 bonecollector34

bonecollector34

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 07:35 AM

We see a pile of em where i hunt mule deer. That seem to like the steep terrain on the Western side of the state

Fatty

Martyupdatedsignature2-1.jpg
Prostaff.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users