4 replies to this topic

#1 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 07:23 PM

Just wondering if any of you all ever coon hunt and if so what is your favorite breed of hound? I'm partial to Red Bones and Blue Ticks but have to admit that the best coon dog I ever saw was a Black and Tan. Sure do miss walking the hills and hollows listening to that sweet hound music of the dogs trailing and treeing, watching my son's eyes get big when they had one treed or watching a good dog figure out what tree a smart old boar coon doged too. If you've never been, it's a real exsperience that will last a life time for sure. :yes:

#2 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 08:13 PM

I have been out with another guy but that was many years ago. For the life of me I cannot recall what his dog was other than good. I believe on the last hunt we did together I believe he had 2 dogs an older one and a young dog. You are right that was sure some midnight music.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#3 hunter1963

hunter1963

Moving Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 08:29 PM

about 20 yrs ago coon hunted all the time had walker dogs
most people around here had walkers.

#4 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 12:51 AM

I had a Black & Tan male and a Bluetick female when I was a newlywed :blink: . All those nights filled with exciting chases through the darkness with flashlights, the howling/squawling/baying wore me out......and that before I ever got out the farmhouse door to chase ol' ringtail! :bash:
.....I only meant that my bride didn't care for the couple little mice dashing around the floor when she had to use the bathroom at bedtime.

...I use to love chasing the hounds but that was tough hunting in our neck of the mountians! A hunter sure paid his dues to keep up with the dogs! :yes:

Edited by Phil, 22 December 2006 - 12:52 AM.

Posted Image

#5 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 09:22 AM

I use to hunt, with an old fella named Robert, among the hills and along the banks of the Meremac River, here in the Ozarks. I was always amazed at how that old fella, he was in his 60's, could not only cover ground but could stand in the pitch black night, hear the dogs, which seemed a mile away :huh: , and tell you right where they were, right down to which tree it seemed. :blink: I'll never forget the night a young Blue Tick, he'd just got, treed a possum. I never new that old man to cuss but he sure had a few choice words for that particular hound that night. :yes: :lol: He took a lot of pride in his Coon Hounds and treeing possums was not in their job discription. :no: Any type of hunting has it's apeal but I think you all will agree that there's something extra special about coon hunting with good hounds. Gives me goose bumps just thinking about it. Throw in a youngun or two to introduce them to hunting and you've one sure fire magical recipe. I can still see that spark, and far away look, in my son's eye when ever the subject of coon hunting pops up. I remember Robert breeding a Black and Tan with some breed of Bull Dog once. He wanted a dog that not only would hunt coons but could hold it's own in a fight with coyotes too, which were a real problem back then. Talk about hounds with an attitude. :rolleyes: :lol: :rofl: :rofl: Got a couple good dogs out of the exsperiment but the others were dumb as a bag of hammers and twice as hard headed. :lol: Did keep the coyotes in check though. :yes:

Edited by Spirithawk, 22 December 2006 - 09:25 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users