13 replies to this topic

#1 sticknstring

sticknstring

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 08:39 PM

This bullet is very unforgiving on deer sized game. I shoot 100 gr. factory .257 weatherby mag ammo. Last year, I bought a Mark V in 257, very fustrated with the performance of "X" bullet. Leo made the suggestions of shooting spirepoints. I had bad experience with ballistic tips and thought a spire would not be any better.
Wrong, they are Evil! I've never seen results like these . All the deer I shot with this rifle this year(4), have been broad side, double lungers. NONe of these took one step! I was fully expecting to see the death jump/kick, and watch them run. They have all fallen where they stand-the lungs hanging out the exit hole. Evil!...thanx Leo!

#2 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 09:22 PM

Yes even modern firearms have their likes and dislikes just like muzzleloaders. There is nothing more satisfying than when you finally find that magic combo. Congratulations. Bet that rifle went from junk to a real shooting cadillac.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#3 sticknstring

sticknstring

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 24 December 2006 - 03:13 PM

You are right PA! An expensive hunk of junk to a shiny cadillac! :lol:

#4 REDGREEN

REDGREEN

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,461 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing,wood carving, waking up with a pulse

Posted 31 December 2006 - 11:20 PM

Weatherby factory ammunition is loaded with Hornady spire points. I have been loading the 140 grain Hornady spirepoint in the 270 Weatherby, and they perform real well. I have only recovered 2 of them from deer on a broadside shot. Try the 120 grain Speer hotcores as well. They perform real well in the 25 06. I don't think that you will be disappointed. :D

#5 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 11:41 AM

This bullet is very unforgiving on deer sized game. I shoot 100 gr. factory .257 weatherby mag ammo. Last year, I bought a Mark V in 257, very fustrated with the performance of "X" bullet. Leo made the suggestions of shooting spirepoints. I had bad experience with ballistic tips and thought a spire would not be any better.
Wrong, they are Evil! I've never seen results like these . All the deer I shot with this rifle this year(4), have been broad side, double lungers. NONe of these took one step! I was fully expecting to see the death jump/kick, and watch them run. They have all fallen where they stand-the lungs hanging out  the exit hole. Evil!...thanx Leo!

Told ya so :)

Those Weatherby/Hornady factory loads have been around a long time. Nothing I've ever tried comes close to the consistant "Death Ray" results this combo produces. I'm sure now that you've used them the "Death Ray" analogy will be truly appreciated.

The smaller than 30cal Hornady bullets really shine when pushed over 3100fps. Be warned though don't expect the same performance from anything larger than 30cal or at lesser velocities. Over 30cal the Hornady's have a less than stellar reputation.

You might be able to work up more accurate loads. I've done it. Barnes, BTs and Partitions, cooked up very accurate loads for all of them. Years ago I was foolish enough to believe that I had to have under 1.5MOA at 300yds (4.5" 5 shot group) on such a high velocity rifle to be happy. I reasoned since my handloads were most accurate and the bullets of "Ultra" premium design they must be better. Truth is they were only better on paper. Yes shot placement is very important but terminal bullet performance kills. If you have one without the other you have a long day ahead of you. And believe me I have had some long days with well placed shots.

At super fast velocities solid copper barnes transfer very little energy in the impact, they do expand but I believe they typically do one of two things. They either shed their petals almost instantly and become as effective as pencil erasers driving thru the game. Or they expand so much slower than they are traveling that they don't achieve full expansion until right before they exit. The BTs are as expected explosive and are far better penetrators than they are typically credited for. This is especially true if you stick with the heaviest for caliber BT's. IMO BT's are the best choice if you plan on doing culling work and only taking head/neck shots. But for heart/lung shots the results are UGLY (putting it mild). The light for caliber partitions at WBY velocities are not a good idea. Expect their performance to be essentially equivalent to a 30% lighter bullet shot 30% slower. The heaviest partitions perform very well but it takes alot of handloading effect to just barely beat the accuracy of the factory loads. WBY does offer factory loaded partitions so if you need them they aren't worth the effort of handloading.

Weatherby/hornady factory loads are absolutely the most consistantly devestating lethal medicine I've ever sent down the pipe at any deer. The reason they are still offered along with the "ultimate bullet dejour" (ie Barnes TSX) is that they flat work and repeatedly outperform bullets that are supposedly better.

Edited by Leo, 10 January 2007 - 11:48 AM.

Posted Image

#6 silvertip-co

silvertip-co

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fly fishing, long range shooting, hiking, camping, panning gold, reloading

Posted 01 March 2007 - 09:42 AM

You just needed the correct tangent ogive. And Leo guided you to it.

Promised myself a LH German Wby for retirement. Glad to hear yours works like LIGHTNING.
SVENSKA50@HOTMAIL.COM

NRA LIFE MEMBER

#7 silvertip-co

silvertip-co

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fly fishing, long range shooting, hiking, camping, panning gold, reloading

Posted 01 March 2007 - 10:29 AM

You just needed the correct tangent ogive.

I meant secant ogive. My mistake.

I need to work on my refreshing my physics...
SVENSKA50@HOTMAIL.COM

NRA LIFE MEMBER

#8 silvertip-co

silvertip-co

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 06:48 AM

You just needed the correct secant ogive.

Which reminds me I now need to do some research on Scirocco and SST bullets / ammo for the 7mm RemMag I just got.
SVENSKA50@HOTMAIL.COM

NRA LIFE MEMBER

#9 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 09:12 AM

Silvertip Eric and I have played with Nosler 120 gr ballistic tips, Hornady 154 spire pts and last year in preparation for Elkatraz I was looking through my bullet supply and found some 160 gr partition bullets. Well I loaded up some and headed to the range. Man those Nosler Partitions gave me less than MOA at 100 yds. I went back to the bench and loaded up some more and shot at 200 yds and still had MOA group.

The 7mm Mag is known for it's accuracy potential and ours sure prove that point. My rifle is rather lightweight but has accounted for several deer with the 154 gr Hornadys. So far I have not killed anything but paper with the 160 gr loads.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#10 sticknstring

sticknstring

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 12:17 PM

My brother swears by scirroccos! He won't shoot anything else. They do a number on w.t. The bullets i have seen recovered are the prettiest mushrooms in the woods!!

#11 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 09:28 PM

For those who didn't notice. Tony was kind enough to lend me his 257WBY for my axis hunt in Texas. The spire points hammered that deer at almost 130 yards and turned him to soup on the inside.

Axis deer are SUPER tough. The deer went further than I would have expected. He went 40yds. Trust me that's a long way after one of these connects. Impressive performance on deer size animals.

Thanks again Tony. I'll gladly loan you my big black BPS for a Turkey here if you ever are over this way.
Posted Image

#12 sticknstring

sticknstring

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 03:05 PM

I may take you up on that Leo-maybe you can teach me a thing or two about hunting turkeys!

#13 iamyourhuckleberry

iamyourhuckleberry

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 944 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 05:52 PM

Tony,

When I had time to reload and that was my preferred method of take, My Ruger M77 (7mm mag) spit nothing but Hornady spirepoints (both 154 $ 175 grainers). Both bulluts were incredibly accurate. However, I was getting terrible meat damage shooting the lighter bullets. I pretty much exclusively shoot the heavier bullets now.

Daniel Boone always spit on his front sight to get his rifle to shoot better. I'm glad you now have the right combo to make your rifle killer!
Posted Image

Lurking in McDonalds near you!

Confidence makes the hunter, PSE makes the bow.

#14 silvertip-co

silvertip-co

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 09:34 PM

Tony,

When I had time to reload and that was my preferred method of take, My Ruger M77 (7mm mag) spit nothing but Hornady spirepoints (both 154 $ 175 grainers). Both bulluts were incredibly accurate. However, I was getting terrible meat damage shooting the lighter bullets. I pretty much exclusively shoot the heavier bullets now.

Daniel Boone always spit on his front sight to get his rifle to shoot better. I'm glad you now have the right combo to make your rifle killer!

I think Illl try some SST 154 or Scirrocco's in my new BLR 7remmag. Ill look inot the 175's Huck but I was wanting it to shot flat flat flat. I thot if I got the right bullet it might shoot sorta like the gravity defying 7mm STW.

^_^
SVENSKA50@HOTMAIL.COM

NRA LIFE MEMBER

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users