8 replies to this topic

#1 Geoff / TBow

Geoff / TBow

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 10:35 AM

I started muzzleloading this year, and to be quite honest, I'm as novice as they come, but I did enjoy it tremendously.

When I bought my new muzzleloader, the dealer gave me a bullet kit that included sabot type bullets. They're for a .50 calibre, but the bullets are .45s. Some of my friends are considering going to the PowerBelt bullets next year, and I was wondering what the pros and cons of both types are.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Geoff / TBow
Every day you`re fortunate enough to wake up breathing, is cause for celebration!

#2 paturbo

paturbo

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 11:39 AM

I have used both sabbots and Power Belts. For me I found that the sabbots we a little harder to load after a few shots. Accuracy was good. For the power belts they seem to reload a lot easier for me and I don't have to clean the barrel after 3 or 4 shots to get them to reload. I use the power belts exclussively now. They are very accurate in my muzzle loader and I have taken several deer with them. I have had only one deer to travel over 50 yards after the initial hit. The bullet expands great on the hit Give them a try I think you will like them.

MD

#3 Geoff / TBow

Geoff / TBow

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 12:29 PM

md,

Thanks for the info. The expansion info was going to be my next question. My friends who used the sabots this year and were fortunate to take deer, didn't have good experience with expansion. Small hole and very little blood trail. That's one of the reasons for trying the PowerBelts next year.

What tip works best on the PowerBelts for expansion?

Thanks again.
Every day you`re fortunate enough to wake up breathing, is cause for celebration!

#4 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 03:39 PM

Geof Although many people really like the powerbelts I am not a real big fan of them. Your Rifle is American made and most likely has a bore size very slightly larger than .500. It more than likely is From .502 to .504. This bore size is great for the sabotted bullets but is a quite loose fit for the powerbelts. Loose fit = accuracy problems at least in my trials. I have a very tight bored Traditions but still could not get the powerbelts to shoot a decent group. Also many folks have experienced the powerbelts fragmenting in deer and not giving an exit wound. In my american barreled rifles the powerbelt was a slip fit. So loose in fact that my solid aluminum range rod would push it down the barrel by just it's own weight. I feared that the powerbelt would move off the powder charge on it's own when hunting, a really big no no. Even with the tight bored rifle I never got the groups that other claimed to get. Also the heavier the charge I tried the worse the group. Those things are expensive at about a dollar a bullet. If I shot them as much as I shoot other bullets I would be broke.

I am currently using the Hornady 300 gr xtp bullet and a harvester crush rib sabot. These fit nice and snug and shoot a great pattern out to at least 100 yds. I have killed one deer with this bullet and recovered the bullet. It entered the fleshy part at the rear front shoulder. It took out 1 lung traveled back through the gut exiting the lower flank and imbedded in the lower rear ham. That bullet started out at .45 cal traveled approx 2 - 2 1/2 feet through the deer without hitting bone and expanded to about .64 caliber to a near perfect mushroom.

I have also used the 240 gr xtp bullets and got good results with passthroughs on both deer I shot with them.

I have used full bore conicals like the maxiball and got better accuracy than I did with powerbelts.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#5 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 08:30 PM

Many people have used powerbelts with excellent results. Then there are other people that swear they shot deer with a powerbelt, knew they hit it good, and the deer or elk ran off and never was recovered.

Others tell of shooting with a powerbelt, and when they open the deer, the bullet is still inside and fragmented. Of course the internal damage is massive. But if your shooting powerbelts. I personally would stay away from shoulder bones. Try and tuck the powerbelt behind the shoulder into the organs where it can expand and do its damage.

I personally have a rifle that shoots powerbelts perfect. With the 245 grain powerbelt, it will lay them in the bull all day long at 100 yards. But what I hate about powerbelts is the price. They are a simple slip fit conical with a plastic button. Yet they are $1.00 each in some cases. That is not right, no matter how well they shoot.

If you and your friends want to shoot powerbelts, good luck. What many people do is work up their main load on a clean barrel with 300 grain XTP's and then use the powerbelt as they emergency back up load should they need it.

Sabots are going to have more speed, and will produce excellent down range energy, like the powerbelts. A lot of it is shot placement. Always remember your shot placement.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#6 paturbo

paturbo

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 10:54 PM

I use 90 grains of American Pioneer powder in my muzzleloader and the Power Belts seem to shoot excellent. 3 shot group at 75 yards can be covered with a quarter. The buck that I took this season went straight down and the bullet went clean thru him. I did shoot him in the base of the neck but that is the shot that I prefer. The power belt left a big hole in the neck where it exited. Maybe I'm one of those guys who is having luck with them.

MD

#7 bonecollector34

bonecollector34

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 08:50 AM

I use 245 grain powerbelts for everything. In all the animals we have taken it has performed flawless. With the exception of my water buffalo, all have been great 1 shot harvests. The Water Buffalo required 2!

Fatty

Martyupdatedsignature2-1.jpg
Prostaff.jpg

#8 KENTUCKY NICK

KENTUCKY NICK

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 05:06 AM

I started muzzleloading this year, and to be quite honest, I'm as novice as they come, but I did enjoy it tremendously.

When I bought my new muzzleloader, the dealer gave me a bullet kit that included sabot type bullets. They're for a .50 calibre, but the bullets are .45s. Some of my friends are considering going to the PowerBelt bullets next year, and I was wondering what the pros and cons of both types are.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Geoff / TBow

Power Belts are great, I have used them for the last 4 years and have not missed a shot. As said before if you don't mind the price of about $1.00 each. I only use them to check for accuracy befor the hunt and one shot on the hunt. I use others for the fun stuff. :lol:

#9 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 10:18 AM

I believe that it depends on your muzzleloader. I have a Traditions sidelock percussion that I shot powerbelts out of. I also tried them in my Knight Bighorn but they were way too loose a fit and terrible accuracy resulted. I hunt deer using a 45 cal Hornady 300 Gr XTP in my Knight Bighorn. I recovered my bullet from my last deer and it had expanded to 64 cal in a perfect mushroom. I have great accuracy with this set up too. I have only killed one deer with the powerbelt bullet and it ran about 40 yds before expiring from a double lung and top of the heart hit at about 80-85 yds and had a passthrough on that shot. I have read much about powerbelts fragmenting and no exit hole.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users