17 replies to this topic

#1 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 02:43 PM

Now is the time to set up some hunting trips for 2007 and the speed goat of the plains is on my all time hit list.

I'd like to bow hunt the pronge horn this summer and what outfitter do you guys recommend that's setup for bowhunting. :huh:
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#2 bonecollector34

bonecollector34

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 08:49 PM

I cannot speak for any other State but Wyoming.

We had a better then normal winter with alot of snow hitting the prairie. That may lead to more water then normal and bowhunting can get very difficult if they have water everywhere.

Getting a goat during the drought, is a peice of cake. Set up on the lone water hole for miles around and wait--they'll come. This year, that may not be the case.

Wyoming hunters and non-residents hunters can easily do a hunt here w/o a guide. No offense to any guides. We have a ton of walk-in areas and public land to hunt. Far more then you will ever be able to hunt in a season.

Bowhunting antelope isn't as popular here, so you will have alot of space to yourself, most like to hunt em with rifles..

Good luck

Fatty

Martyupdatedsignature2-1.jpg
Prostaff.jpg

#3 ricfirefighter

ricfirefighter

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 11:09 PM

wyo has more but SD has enough lots of public land dont think an outfitter would be needed dont think you could go wrong with either state :D

#4 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 09:04 AM

Thanks Marty and Ric. for your advice. For us easterner the pronge horn holds a fascination of the whole of the west.

My problem to solve is to do this with a bow and arrow. Rifles are not permited in Ohio for big games so I don't even own one. My son does and I could use one of his. I'd have to start getting proficient now for a late summer hunt. I could slug gun one but then it just wouldn't feel right.

Next problem, I really don't know Colorado, Wyoming, New Mex., Arizona or the Dakotas that well to drop in and start hunting public land. I've been in those States and they are beautiful and huge compared to how Ohio is all cut up into smaller farms and such. I would probably have to drive out and drag my stuff out to setup on a water some where. Flying is simplier. An outfitter can put me on the game and put me up for the (limited amount of time) five days of hunting is going to be key to bagging one. I like to sight see the country and I guess I will rent a car and drive into the lodge somewhere out there. I'm out to kill one of those lopes and hopefully put one on the wall. I also want to do an out of State over the counter license instead of a draw or lottery.

And not all outfitters are setup for a bowhunter. So maybe once I have this one under my belt I'll try a public lands hunt for them.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#5 Larry $

Larry $

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 09:13 AM

For Colorado try Donny Carr with Golden Eagle Outfitters. Here's the web site address - http://www.goldeneagleoutfitters.net/index.html

He's guided a couple of youth antelope hunts for some friends of ours with a 100% success rate. Melody and I weren't able to attend either of them, but we heard alot of good stuff about Donny and his outfit.
Elk: it's what's for dinner!

#6 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 09:48 AM

Thank you Larry I'll look him up :yes:

#7 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 10:37 AM

If you do decide on a quided hunt, in Wyoming, check out Scott and Angie Denny with Table Mountain Outfitter's. A goat with 16" horns, or better, is not uncommon for them. :yes:

#8 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 10:54 AM

Spirithawk thanks I forgot about their connection to this group. I'll go check out their hunts.

#9 bonecollector34

bonecollector34

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 02:34 PM

Your Right Mark

Outfitters are fantastic when time is an issue. I have been on several guided hunts. Look at the prices and see if it is worth it in the long run.

Wyoming is all draw for buck antelope, not impossible to draw though.

Table Mountain is close to here, but I believe North and East of Cheyenne. I have never heard anything bad about them but as a resident I won't need em for assitance.

If you can make it near Laramie, I would happily loan ya a rifle, got several good ones. I took a WI hunter several years ago on his 1st goat hunt, he had never held a rifle before that day. We got him a nice one but it took alot of work because he wanted to be inside 100 yards on one--easiler said then done..

Proghorn are addictive to hunt, you'll be hooked buddy

fatty

Prostaff.jpg

#10 mzlloader

mzlloader

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 628 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 02:44 PM

Rowdy

Arizona is all draw, your chance of draw slim, but if you do you will have a chance at some 80 inch class bucks, and I happen to know a Guide Personlly that could help you out LOL

here is a link to the az game and fish

http://www.azgfd.gov/h_f/hunting_rules.shtml

a tag and lic will run you 152.50 for hunting lic, and 485.00 for the tag, a little on the spendy side, as far as non res go. if you want to try shoot me an email and I will send you some unit info to apply for,

R L
Trophy Hunting: Its not about the Size of the Trophy, But the Memories and Experince Of the Hunt That count, SCOUTS OUT,

www.arizonaoutfitter.com

#11 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 08:15 AM

Thanks RL. Arizona grows them big and fast. I would bet you could put me on them too. I'll look into it a little closer and get back to you.

#12 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 08:25 AM

I read in Eastman's Bowhunting Mag. last night about the draw in Wyoming and that's like a bribe or something else like it. Sounds like Wyoming has the Lopes like Arizona. Might be able to get in with an outfitter with private land access and plenty of area zone tags from the draw.

Or southern Colorado has a bow friendly outfitter that the tags are over the counter and he's got some trophy size goats every year.

I've emailed several outfitters around Gillette but I have not heard back yet. Probably too busy I reckon with article on Realtree web site and Eastman's.

#13 bonecollector34

bonecollector34

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 11:23 AM

Good Luck Rowdy

But again let me re-emphisize, Wyoming can easily be done without a outfitter, but that is your choice..

There are thousands more antelope in Wyoming then people. No other state can touch our number of pronghorn and Carbon county, where I hunt, is still in the #1 or #2 spot for all time Boone and Crockett entries in the United States.

Fatty

Edited by bonecollector34, 29 December 2006 - 01:56 PM.

Prostaff.jpg

#14 Whip

Whip

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • Interests:Long walks in the woods carrying heavy equpment in poor weather. I live to hunt...other than that I am a full-time PhD student in entomology.

Posted 15 January 2007 - 07:54 PM

Come to Nebraska. Over the counter archery tags, unlimited to nonresidents, and way cheaper than other states. The majority of our goats are within 30 miles of the Wyoming border. Hardly any hunting pressure.

Edited by Whip, 15 January 2007 - 07:59 PM.

Sean Whipple
PSE staff
It's not a passion, it's an obsession. ~Mossy Oak

#15 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 10:24 AM

Come to Nebraska. Over the counter archery tags, unlimited to nonresidents, and way cheaper than other states. The majority of our goats are within 30 miles of the Wyoming border. Hardly any hunting pressure.

Whip great idea and really never crossed my mind. Maybe if things go well with this years antelope hunt in Colorado I'll be hooking up with you and Marty to give that part of the country a stalk. My thanks to you two. ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users