12 replies to this topic

#1 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 09:37 AM

WHITEFISH ? I used in it Canada last year in Ontario and Saskatchewan and both places the pike loved this spoon. They hit this better than my other spoons so eventually got smart and just used it. This spoon helped catch the largest pike I have seen so I'm hooked on it's design. Rate it right up there with some of the all time classic lures for pike and walleye.

The Whitefish offers an impressive variety of weights, sizes and finishes allowing you to match the size and color of prey larger predators are feeding on. One of the many assets of the Whitefish is its versatility. Ideal for trolling and casting. Size C60 is an excellent jigging spoon on open or hard waters. The size C70 at 4?" is a perfect imitation of most mature baitfish species. The larger C80 and C90 sizes are popular great lakes salmon lures as well as proven big lake trout and northern pike favorites. They are regularly used as bait or smaller attractors or dodgers. Their unique shape offers less resistance and the brilliant flash of the precious metal finish attracts fish from greater distances.

http://www.williams.ca/whitefish.htm

Posted Image

Edited by Rowdy Yates, 27 December 2006 - 09:38 AM.

"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#2 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 05:26 PM

Red/yellow/white is a great color combo for northerns.

Let me point out though in my experience when yellow is working it's the best but sometimes, don't really know why, fish absolutely shun yellow. So be advised better have some that are only red/white in your box in case that happens.

Another good tip on spoons is a red treble with a bucktail on it replacing the factory hook will increase strikes and hook ups tremendously. Almost all factory hooks are JUNK. Go at least one size bigger than the factory hook. Trust me, red hooks WORK they absolutely aren't just a marketing gimmick.
Posted Image

#3 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 02:42 PM

Almost all factory hooks are JUNK. Go at least one size bigger than the factory hook. Trust me, red hooks WORK they absolutely aren't just a marketing gimmick.

Leo most factory hooks are junk no question and I would bet the red hook thing works but I haven't tested it.

Leo what make of treble hooks would you go with in a 5/0 or 6/0 hook? The ones on these spoons are around a 4/0 hook.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#4 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 10:50 AM

Almost all factory hooks are JUNK. Go at least one size bigger than the factory hook. Trust me, red hooks WORK they absolutely aren't just a marketing gimmick.

Leo most factory hooks are junk no question and I would bet the red hook thing works but I haven't tested it.

Leo what make of treble hooks would you go with in a 5/0 or 6/0 hook? The ones on these spoons are around a 4/0 hook.

Daichi or Gamagatsu ;)
Posted Image

#5 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 28 March 2007 - 08:02 AM

I got my Williams spoons ( cabelas ought to be thanking you guys for these reviews and my purchases )

I'm not enough of a fisherman to start changing hooks cause this one isnt something over that one that is better.....errr ok if you say so. ( now if Rowdy wants to start making modifications on stuff in my tackle box...thats fine too )

But June 1st is rolling up on us quick...I can't wait... big northers, big walleye....shore lunches in norther canada and ARCHERY BEAR HUNTING.... oh yea... did I mention I got my Williams spoons ;)
its gonna be an awesome trip.
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#6 REDGREEN

REDGREEN

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,461 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing,wood carving, waking up with a pulse

Posted 28 March 2007 - 11:20 AM

I carry 2 of them in my tackle box at all times. When I lose one, it is replaced as soon as I get back to civilization. I use the big silver ones that are 6" long, and they work well. Try the redheaded Rapala's as well, and the perch pattern. You won't be disappointed.

#7 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 28 March 2007 - 08:48 PM

I purchased a red/white and a yellow/red both in 4 1/4 and 5 1/4 lengths.

now I need the 6? ( my wifes gonna shoot someone LOL )

Edited by McBruce, 28 March 2007 - 08:49 PM.

McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#8 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 03:00 PM

I purchased a red/white and a yellow/red both in 4 1/4 and 5 1/4 lengths.

now I need the 6? ( my wifes gonna shoot someone LOL )

McBruce to catch big you use big lures! :yes: Up there I used big lures and caught big fish and the little guys got hooked up too on the 6"ers'.

Oh and Randy doesn't know me only by Rowdy right so I might be safe for a while.

#9 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 11:05 PM

your lucky...she shoots better then most...just doesnt want to hunt LOL

ok time to place an order for some 6 inchers ;)
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#10 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 11:20 PM

I'd say marks photos from canada show the williams spoons did pretty good for him :)

I should have stuck with them longer, I was using weedless spoons with twister tails on them.
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#11 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 11:48 AM

I'd say marks photos from canada show the williams spoons did pretty good for him :)

I should have stuck with them longer, I was using weedless spoons with twister tails on them.

These two spoons I used most on the last day and what Bruce is referring to. I replaced the original silver steel hooks with the red ones Like leo suggested and you can see the red has been roughed up quiet abit by the hunt for big fish.

Posted Image

Edited by Rowdy Yates, 23 June 2007 - 03:46 PM.

#12 Joe

Joe

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 11:10 AM

The spoons that I like best are the Kastmasters but I don't use spoons very often.
MR300WM

#13 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 29 July 2007 - 05:49 PM

These two spoons I used most on the last day and what Bruce is referring to. I replaced the original silver steel hooks with the red ones Like leo suggested and you can see the red has been roughed up quiet abit by the hunt for big fish.

Posted Image

Hey Rowdy, red hooks sure seem to work for me also. I have them on all of my spoons and most of my crankbaits. I like to use them for panfish with wax worms and minnows. I always put them on the spoons that I put together too.
-Eric

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users