Photo

Best Production Rifle?

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

Poll: Best Prodution Rifle Maker (55 member(s) have cast votes)

Best Prodution Rifle Maker

1. Browning (3 votes [5.45%])

Percentage of vote: 5.45%

2. Ruger (6 votes [10.91%])

Percentage of vote: 10.91%

3. Winchester (7 votes [12.73%])

Percentage of vote: 12.73%

4. Remington (14 votes [25.45%])

Percentage of vote: 25.45%

5. Weatherby (4 votes [7.27%])

Percentage of vote: 7.27%

6. Kimber (3 votes [5.45%])

7. Marlin (2 votes [3.64%])

Percentage of vote: 3.64%

8. New England Firearms (1 votes [1.82%])

Percentage of vote: 1.82%

9. Savage (6 votes [10.91%])

Percentage of vote: 10.91%

10. Thompson Center (3 votes [5.45%])

11. Sako (2 votes [3.64%])

Percentage of vote: 3.64%

12. CZ (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

13. Sigarms - Sig Sauer (0 votes [0.00%])

14. Tikka (4 votes [7.27%])

Percentage of vote: 7.27%

15. Henry (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 08:12 PM

There has to be something other than sales falling off with Winchester. I have seen other polls and Winchester ranks right up there in the favorite category. I am with you dennis I have always liked Winchesters too. Kinda looks like I will be hunting with a collectors item though.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#17 johnf

johnf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 July 2006 - 10:56 PM

Hey guys. The question isn't really specific enough. I voted NEF for one reason. Best rifle for the money. If I had more to spend I would probibly go with kimber or weatherby. I've got 2 NEF's 243 and 25-06 both shoot sub moa at 100 yards with factory ammo. There are a lot of high $$ rifles that can't do that.

#18 silvertip-co

silvertip-co

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fly fishing, long range shooting, hiking, camping, panning gold, reloading

Posted 04 July 2006 - 07:27 PM

Hey guys. The question isn't really specific enough. I voted NEF for one reason. Best rifle for the money. If I had more to spend I would probibly go with kimber or weatherby. I've got 2 NEF's 243 and 25-06 both shoot sub moa at 100 yards with factory ammo. There are a lot of high $$ rifles that can't do that.

The sad thing is the new high dollar rifles have a hard time making <2.5" groups. Guys buy them and the factories sell them, but I think it's a crime.
The new Rem 798 and 799 can only do 2.5". ANd they seem proud of it.
My ol 24" bbl Rem 721 will shoot 1" groups all day for a good hold as many other good off the shelf ol guns will too.
SVENSKA50@HOTMAIL.COM

NRA LIFE MEMBER

#19 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 01:55 PM

You take the Ruger 10-22, Mark II, # 1, and mini 14 and that's a lot of top notch guns for one company, especially these days, and that's leaving a few out. :yes:

#20 7pointbuck

7pointbuck

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  • Interests:bowhunting, muzzleloading, riding atvs, fishing, going to church, and my family and friends!

Posted 28 August 2006 - 09:18 PM

the marlin 336,remington 700,savage 110`s all super in my book. good poll, thanks!
Bill
"My Freezer is a wildlife preserve!!!"

#21 Joe

Joe

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 08:19 AM

I just think that Remington is a very good value. I have never had any troubles with mine and I have one of the so called jam-o-matics, 7400 that has not given me any problems.
MR300WM

#22 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 07:30 PM

Ya know? Actually I think the best rifle produced is the one that you manage to own that gets you out hunting, no matter what brand it is. ;) :yes:

#23 paturbo

paturbo

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 10:32 PM

All I own are Remingtons and Brownings.

MD

#24 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 10:27 PM

My son owns some different models made by Savage rifles and right out of the box they are on and I think very well made for the money. :yes:
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#25 Geoff / TBow

Geoff / TBow

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 02:55 PM

I've been watching a series on television that rates items from #10 to #1. I've seen them rate tanks, helicopters, motorcycles and weapons. FYI: The top rated weapon was "MAN".

Anyhow, back to the show. They don't neccesarily pick what most would deem the best, just because they had happened to own one or use one many moons ago. They established a list of criteria that they applied the items under review against.

For instance, in rating a rifle, you will need a list of issues to apply your evaluation against. Bear in mind also, that the question at hand isn't, "What is the best rifle?". It's, "What is the best PRODUCTION rifle?". You'll need to evaluate issues like:

1. Mass production vs quality control
2. Availability to the masses
3. Cost @ what type of quality
4. Accuracy
5. Durability
6. Warranty
7. Dealership availabilty
8. Company reputation
9. Customer feedback
10.Options available ie: Blued, SS, nickel plated, variable length barrels, stock materials such as walnut, laminate, synthetic, etc., etc.

Well you get the jest. I'm sure there's a heap more items that could be placed on the list of issues to be reviewed.

Anyhow, back to the show. You'd be amazed at what items were rated as #1. In the helicopters, it was the Robinson R-22. It was the smallest of all those in the top 10, yet it's mass production and the afordability to the general public, put it over the top, even over Appache attach helicopters and Bell's 212 or Hueys. And in the motorcycles, it wasn't the renowned Harley/Davidson, or British Triumphs, or an amercan built Indian or even an Italian Dicati. It was Honda's 50cc that so popularized putting the world on 2 wheels in the 60s and 70s. It virtually changed the image of who rode a morotcycle world wide.

So getting back to the production rifle rating. Don't neccesarily think that it'd be Weatherby or a custom made Tikka or even a John Browning Belgium made. You're likely gon'na have to look a little deeper than the depths of your own gun locker to sypher this one out. Even then, it'll be the things that guys like us will debate over a beer every now and then. BTW: In the weapons review on television, the AK-47 topped out the firearms, and was only beaten out by MAN.

Geoff / TBow
Every day you`re fortunate enough to wake up breathing, is cause for celebration!

#26 Whip

Whip

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • Interests:Long walks in the woods carrying heavy equpment in poor weather. I live to hunt...other than that I am a full-time PhD student in entomology.

Posted 15 January 2007 - 07:47 PM

Weatherby Mark V......hands down. Next is the Kimber super america line, then Tikka's whitetail classic (made by Sako anyhow). If we were talking bang for the buck, I'd have to go with Ruger M77 MKII.
Sean Whipple
PSE staff
It's not a passion, it's an obsession. ~Mossy Oak

#27 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 10:39 PM

That is kind of a hard question for me because I never owned one of them real expensive production rifles. I have shot Weatherby, Sako, Browning, and Savage, but when I bought my 7mm Mag, the rifle that had the quality I wanted and the price range I wanted to stay in was a Ruger M77 MKII. I have never been unhappy with that rifle and it has performed perfect for me.

This rifle might surprise some of you, but a friend of mine bought a Browning BAR in 7mm Mag. I had my doubts about a semi automatic high power rifle like that, but when I shot it.. WOW!! what a nice rifle to shoot. And accurate to boot. So it is hard to say, "this production rifle is the best." I guess it is the rifle you are most comfortable with and have the most confidence in.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#28 Monk

Monk

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 06:54 PM

My first rifle was a Remington 700ADL, in .308win. My baby is a Remington 700 Classic, in 7mm Rem. Mag. I've always been partial for Remingtons... 870, 1100, 11-87, too! :woodsplit:
"Old age is like everything else. To make a success of it, you've got to start young."
Theodore Roosevelt

#29 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 08:19 PM

When I was shopping for my rifle, I had it down to a Ruger M77 or a Remington 700 BDL (my friend shoots one) and it was going to be a 7mm mag. All of us were going elk hunting out west, and the 7mm mag was THE rifle to own at that time. Ruger at the time had some kind of promotion going or something because the store that carried both the Ruger & Remington made me such a sweet deal on the Ruger I went that route. The Remington is a favorite rifle of mine as well. And another guy I hunts with swears by his Winchester Model 70 rifles. So it is all a matter of what you like I guess.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#30 Leep

Leep

Moving Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 11:05 PM

I'm goin gto be getting a new elk rifle. I decided on the Savage Weather Warror 16-116 in a stainless barrel and action with a factory muzzle break in the 300 win mag.
It comes with a synthetis pillared stock. You have to step up a couple notches and a lot more money to get the same thing in a Rem. And, you can't get the muzzle break either.
And, the Savage is now the only mass produced rifle (I'm pretty sure from reading) that still offers a button style rifling. the others use hammer rifling which produces a lot more stress on the barrel and you have to either heat it and cool it, or some are putting them in very cold temperatures in an effort to make the barrel true the whole length. Buttor rifling doesn't require this and cause much les stress on the steel.
I've been doing alot of research on barrelling and was surprised to find this out. The cutting method is still the best as it cause almost no stress and is very uniform, but there aren't that many of the huge machines left that can do this and it'sa lot longer process. A lot of custom barrel makers use the cut method because they proudce the kind of barrels that professional shooters demand...
But, I will go for the next best, the Savage with the button rilfing. Even there you want the pull through method rather than the push through method as there is a small chance that you will get inconsistiencies with the push method..
Leep:
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users