• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 7pointbuck

7pointbuck

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  • Interests:bowhunting, muzzleloading, riding atvs, fishing, going to church, and my family and friends!

Posted 01 January 2007 - 12:19 PM

hey guys,

any of you whom have taken or hunted Axis deer,what is the average body size of a mature buck? and how was the meat on these?

Bill

Edited by 7pointbuck, 01 January 2007 - 03:30 PM.

"My Freezer is a wildlife preserve!!!"

#2 bonecollector34

bonecollector34

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 01 January 2007 - 03:35 PM

Bill I am not sure how big these guys get. I killed a really nice mature axis that scored in at 150 SCI and I would say he was about 200lbs.

The meat is second to none..

Fatty

Martyupdatedsignature2-1.jpg
Prostaff.jpg

#3 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 03:54 PM

Almost every show that hunts those critter and I'd like too say the meat is the best venison they have ever had.
They are on my eventual list to hunt one just for the meat.

There's a Florida big game ranch, the Brady Ranch, that sells the meat over their internet website and they rate pretty darn high in protein and low in fat calories compared to other meat.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#4 bonecollector34

bonecollector34

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 04:33 PM

I still have a quarter of one in my freezer, they really are very very good eating and I am not big on venision.

The Brady Ranch has the largest estate herd of Axis deer in North America, they know it and are quite proud of that as you can see in their prices.

Their 2 day hunt runs $2450 to start with trophy fees starting in after 30". Their Water Buffalo hunts are terribly over priced as well. $3350 for a 1 day hunt and he has to score under 85" or additional $1000 bucks.

I don't know how these people stay in business? I think people are just to lazy to actually look around before they hunt.

I was going to hunt with the Brady Ranch for my Axis deer and Water Buffalo, talked to them several times. My animals there would have cost me $7500 instead I spent 20 minutes talking to another outfitter and got same class animals for $3000 less in price.. Hmmm No brainer..

Shop shop shop people, do your homework and know what these animals are really worth and then look some more. There are alot of these outfits everywhere. The good ones will work to get you there. Leave the high dollar outfits for the people who have more $$$ then scense..

$.02 fatty

Prostaff.jpg

#5 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 07:20 PM

Marty I totally agree on shopping it out and compare. IMHO you're right - the Brady deal is no deal. The ODC has had several hunts filmed there and it does not look that great (lodging and meals) and the guys who have hunted it usually hunt the big dollar ranches.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#6 sticknstring

sticknstring

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 09:59 PM

A buck will generally weigh 160-200+. A mature doe around here comes in at 120-140. I've hunted the Brady afew times. I had friends contracted by the ranch to catch hogs. I've taken my team of dogs in on occasion. A beautiful & remarkable place! I would never pay to hunt there though!!
As Marty says..shop, shop, shop!!
As far as table fare...I've killed 3 does this season. They are amazing! You drop them in the cooler with ice on them. Next morning the ice is still clear/white! Doesn't shed the smell/blood whitetail meat does ! I passed up on 2 bucks this past week(still in velvet)-hopefully I can make it happen before Jan.21(our lease cutoff for the season).

#7 bonecollector34

bonecollector34

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 11:55 PM

I spoke with Richard on his axis.

I think there are going to be 2 seprate groups heading to Action Outdoors this Spring. One group in April and one during memorial day in May.

Richard said for our groups he would offer a good mature axis buck(just under 30") and a 27-28 Corsican for $1200 total. Breakdown being $350 for the Corsican and $850 for the axis deer. No shoot no pay.

I looked into scores for the rams and that would put em right in the 115-120" range, well into the SCI record book.

Food for thought, get ahold of me or Will if interested. We are taking maybe 1 or 2 hunters in April and a couple more in May.

Comparisions:

BAR E-- Texas package(1 exotic/1 goat) $900 few and far between decent sized ones. Richard supplies some animals to them, usually smaller in size. Also, 2 to remain unnamed, hunters on here stated if your going for axis you could be disappointed but lots of little rams and hogs.

WILDERNESS LODGE--- Corsican $625/ Axis $1450-1950

777 RANCH--- Axis $2500/ Corsican $1800

TT Texas Wildlife ranch--- Extra for guide fees and lodging/ Axis $1500/ Corsican $500

Best Hunting Co---Axis $1250 under 30"/ Corsican $500 under 28"

NOTE: Please serious inquires only on this, it is getting close to go time. People dropping out the last minute creates additional problems. No offense just really want to take the guys who really want to go..

Fatty

Edited by bonecollector34, 07 January 2007 - 02:01 PM.

Prostaff.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users