8 replies to this topic

#1 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 08:59 AM

I was going to buy some wax for my bow string and started to look around and found more than just bow string wax. What do you guys or gals buy for your setup? Or what is your thought on this stuff? Any of it better or to stay away from?

Bohning Xccelerator String Wax
All-natural scent-free string wax and conditioner greatly reduces string friction and abrasion. Lubricates and rejuvenates your bow string.

Dalton High-Speed Bow Wax Conditioner
Applies easily and reduces friction between cable glide and cables, as well as conditions bowstring. 1-oz. tube. Unscented

Brownell Bowstring Wax
High-tech bowstring wax is unscented with just the right amount of tack and increases your string life. Protects against broken fibers

Seal-Tite Bowstring Wax
The Seal-Tite bowstring wax is a silicone-based formula for treating new high-strength bowstring materials. Handy 1-oz. push-out tube for easy application.

Tex-Tite Bowstring Wax
Using the Tex-Tite bowstring wax increases string life. Specially formulated for synthetic bowstrings. Handy 1-oz. push-out tube for easy application

Black Lightning? Wax Lubricant
This is an all-purpose wax lubricant with graphite and silicone for maximum viscosity and protection for bowstrings and all other points of contact. Odorless, non-toxic and waterproof, it penetrates and coats to reduce friction and wear.

Winner's Choice Ultimate String-Care Kit
The Winner's Choice Ultimate String-Care Kit contains both a cleaner and a conditioner to maximize your string's longevity. The cleaner removes gritty contaminants and old wax before you apply the conditioner. Conditioner is an unscented high-viscosity treatment that penetrates and lubricates the string fibers for the ultimate in long-term protection. Includes a 1-oz. bottle of Ultimate String Cleaner and a 1-oz. dispenser of Ultimate String Conditioner.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#2 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 11:04 AM

First and foremost!

Never put "Natural Wax" on a fast synthetic string (ie. Dyneema, Spectra, Vectran) You absolutely require a silicon based wax for these strings. Use of natural wax on these strings will even void some warrantees (though hardly anyone enforces that clause)

Secondly, waxing your string too often wears it out faster. The wax also hides the increased wear so you don't realize the damage you're doing. If you feel you need to wax your string after every couple practice sessions. You're causing the damage waxing not shooting.

The primary purpose of wax on fast synthetic strings is not to protect it from moisture. Moisture effects these strings very little. On Dacron, moisture causes accelerated stretch and wear. So that's where the wax/moisture protection notion came from. Wax on the new fast synthetics is for lubrication between the fibers. This is needed because friction between these fibers is what wears these strings out. Shooting an unwaxed fast synthetic string that has not been waxed or waxed poorly is like driving a car without oil in the engine.

Because of this difference in wax requirements. Just gooping on wax and sealing the outside of the string doesn't cut it on fast synthetics. You need to try and work the wax in between the fibers. You'll be amazed at how easily squeezing the blobs of wax between your thumb and fore finger will drive the wax into the string (but note you really do have to squeeze it). You'll also be amazed how long a waxing will last if you do it right ;)
Posted Image

#3 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 05 January 2007 - 01:10 PM

Well, Leo already touched on what to do. So, I'll hit the products.

I've used each product you have listed. Frankly, all of them work well. All of them are also silicone-based. So, basically, any of them will suffice. I'm pretty sure Dalton makes the wax for Winner's Choice, so you can combine those two.

Of all listed, the WC kit is my favorite. The cleaner is really nothing more than an alcohol applicator. But, it works. I pull pure black grit out of the strings I've used it on that appeared clean and in good shape to the eye. You have to remember, wax attracts dirt. It's a necessary evil, if you will. As Leo mentioned, friction is the enemy. When dirt is introduced into the string fibers it only makes wear even worse/more rapid. A good cleaning, then followed the by the wax (conditioner) is the best approach I've found to get the longest life from a string. My least favorite wax listed above, Seal-Tite. Don't get me wrong, it is a quality product. But, I have found that while it is great on strings made of 8125 material it will prematurely fuzz a string made of 452X material. (Made that mistake a few years back when Mathews went to 452X standard on their bows. The first time I waxed my new bow string I had fibers fuzzing off! I've tested it on others over the years just to see if it was a fluke and the results were always the same.) I would just rather keep a wax around that is friendly to all modern fibers. The WC stuff is... Black Lightning is... Tex-Tite seems to be as well.

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#4 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 05 January 2007 - 04:45 PM

I use the Bohning wax. At first I didn't even know I needed it untill I went to Cabelas to check on my broken site. The guy takes the bow out of the case and goes have you ever put string wax on this thing, its as dry as a bone. I asked why do I need wax and he said your string will wear out and start fraying which could be a safety hazard later. I just shut up and went to get the wax lol. I like the wax I have but I haven't tried anything else.
-Eric

#5 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 01:13 PM

Thanks Leo and Jeremiah for great replies. B)
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#6 ricfirefighter

ricfirefighter

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 07:52 PM

boy if i only new i thought wax was for your legs and conditioner was for your head????? :lol: who new they were for the bow :smackhead:

#7 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 10:39 AM

boy if i only new i thought wax was for your legs and conditioner was for your head?????

Wax for the hair or head??? :talktohand: I haven't seen anyone do that since I had a butch hair cut back in the 50's and 60's. Makes it stand at attention. :rofl:

I'm not going there with waxing the legs :zipped: :evilgrin:

Edited by Rowdy Yates, 09 January 2007 - 10:40 AM.

#8 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 04:30 PM

I use Tex-Tite and it works great for me. I get a lot of use out of my string with no problems.

#9 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 03:33 PM

Well I bought the Dalton High-Speed Bow Wax Conditioner and comes in a plastic container that looks like it would go under your arms to control something else :rofl: But it goes on real easy and it's real slick feeling once it's worked into the string unlike wax feels sticky and tacty. Nice stuff for the money.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users