3 replies to this topic

#1 FrankSr

FrankSr

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 07:31 PM

Which is the best? Which ones to avoid? Tired of buying casings that have been cleaned but still look dirty.

#2 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 08:24 PM

Frank I bought one of those vibrating ones that literally churn the medium and the brass in a circular motion from outside to inside over and over. I use the walnut hull medium and add a capful of Berrys brass bright when I start to tumble them. I sometimes tumble them all night but usually they look pretty good after 3 or 4 hours. I always deprime my cases before tumbling them but I don't think any amount of tumbling will adequately clean out the primer pocket. I still use the sticky case lube on a pad and about 15 minutes in the tumbler cleans that off too. I just went down and looked, mine is a Berrys brand. Black base blue bowl and clear plastic lid. I could put several hundred handgun cases in it. The only problem and it is universal is you must be sure that all the medium is cleared out of the cases. It sometimes sticks in the flash hole. I just have a paper clip opened out and push it through the flash hole.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#3 REDGREEN

REDGREEN

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,461 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing,wood carving, waking up with a pulse

Posted 03 April 2006 - 09:12 PM

The vibrating ones are definately the best. My neighbour has one of the ones that turn like a cement mixer, and he hates it with a passion. Sometimes it turns, sometimes it don't. RCBS, Thumblers, they are all good.As to media, whatever you like best, walnut shell or corncob. The outlet where you buy it will have the polishing compound to activate the media. I usually let it run all night, dig them out of the media, poke out the primer pocket and flash hole, wipe them down and then charge them.

#4 Fred

Fred

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • Interests:Trucks and driving goat trails, Hunting, Fishing. Prospecting/gold panning

Posted 04 April 2006 - 01:11 AM

I used to have one of those horrible rolling tumblers too. I now have the Thumblers Vibrator( for about 12 yrs) and it works much better. I found that the corn cob media gets caught in the primer pocket all the time and will be trying out the Walnut shell stuff since a friend picked me up a big bag of it. I knew a fellow years ago who used to dry out his used coffee grounds and used them for tumbling. Seemed to work ok and is pretty cheap! Fred
Quondo Omni Flunkus Moritati

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users