Anyone looking for a new sight...

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 07 January 2007 - 10:54 PM

... owes it to themselves to wait until after the ATA show! I spoke with Al Coon at Copper John about 2 months ago and he told me about some of their new stuff coming out. Well, I was on AT and I see that they are finally starting to release some of the details of the new products. So, I feel safe in doing this.

I was told that the new Dead Nuts sight will be new from the ground up. Not only will it have micro adjust vertical and horizontal gang adjustments, but individual micro adjust pins as well. The round pin guard (which they still have the patent on, by the way) will be smaller to better fit inside typical peep sizes. Finally, the fiber optics in the pins will be lengthened and coiled around the housing to increase light gathering. (The longer the fiber, the brighter the pin.)

I am tremendously excited about this coming year for Copper John. I believe these sights will rival anything on the market and with better prices than most for a sight in the same class. :bigthumb:

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#2 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 15 January 2007 - 11:12 PM

Posted Image

I'm in love. Micro adjust windage, elevation, and individual micro adjust pins. Smaller pin guard with brighter ring and extended coil fiber optics for brightness. I can't imagine anything that could be done to improve on this. I'm sure to get one in the dovetail/3rd axis variety. So, I'll let everyone know how it does.

sig_admin.png

#3 Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 08:25 AM

Can't see your pic, Jer, but this may be what I'm looking for on my new target bow. How far can you extend it past the riser? I'm thinking strongly about setting up my target bow for the Bowhunter Release IBO class.
"The Lord bless and keep you. The Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you. The Lord turn His face toward you and give you peace." Num 6:24-26

#4 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 08:38 AM

Jeremiah this is what I was looking for when my last CJ sight fell apart on me. I'm sure the micro adjustments should give the bowhunter spot on shooting. Pins ought to be real bright with all the light exposure to the fibers. Thanks for getting the picture up and posted. ;)

The individual pin adjustment ? Is it the same as the older CJ models? :huh:

Edited by Rowdy Yates, 16 January 2007 - 11:37 AM.

"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#5 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 10:16 AM

Can't see your pic, Jer, but this may be what I'm looking for on my new target bow.  How far can you extend it past the riser?  I'm thinking strongly about setting up my target bow for the Bowhunter Release IBO class.

They will be making a dovetail bar version similar to the Dead Nuts III. I don't have my bow/tape measure here. But, I'd say mine easily extends 10". The dovetail bar makes it adjustable from 10" to 2" with the turn of a knob. They will have a lens kit for the new sights as well.

sig_admin.png

#6 mudduck

mudduck

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:Interested in almost everything, unless it bores me, then I'm not interested anymore

Posted 16 January 2007 - 10:44 AM

Although I am not a big fan of multiple pin sights, this sight does look nice. It looks as though this sight attaches directly to the bow, is there enough vertical pin adjustment to accomadate slower speed bows? Price?

#7 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 05:19 PM

Although I am not a big fan of multiple pin sights, this sight does look nice. It looks as though this sight attaches directly to the bow, is there enough vertical pin adjustment to accomadate slower speed bows? Price?

As with all CJ sights, there is a vertical gang adjustment as well as individual pin adjustment. I can't imagine not having enough unless you're truly dealing with a very slow bow (under 200 f.p.s.) trying to shoot over 30 yards.

Price, you'll have to wait until the ATA show official release like everyone else to find that out. Keep an eye on CopperJohn.com.

sig_admin.png

#8 Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 08:27 AM

Just looked at the CJ pro III - tell me about third axis leveling for shooting up and down hills :coffee:
"The Lord bless and keep you. The Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you. The Lord turn His face toward you and give you peace." Num 6:24-26

#9 PaCritter

PaCritter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 07:34 PM

Looks nice ! Thanks for the info Jeremiah :thumbsup:

#10 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 08:02 PM

Just looked at the CJ pro III - tell me about third axis leveling for shooting up and down hills :coffee:

Third axis is a little hard to explain without a visual. (Which I don't have yet.) But, I'll try to do my best. 3rd axis adjustment usually refers to an adjustable joint in the sight bracket which allows the pin guard assembly to be rotated closer toward or farther away from the front of the bow riser. The reason for this is because the pin guard assembly is not always necessarily square to the bow. (Just because the bow riser and sight are supposedly machined properly/squarely doesn't mean they always are.) With a sight that does not allow for 3rd axis adjustment, the bubble level in the sight may literally move out of center to one side or the other when aiming uphill or downhill despite the fact that the bow is not being canted to one side or another. This false reading of the level will cause many to actually cant the bow to one side or the other while shooting up or down hill. Canting the bow to one side or the other tends to make the arrow go in the direction of the cant. So, if you, or anyone you know, has ever suffered from odd left/right misses while shooting at deer or during 3D, you may very well have an unsquare 3rd axis.

Here's a write-up on the subject by Spot-Hogg...
http://www.spot-hogg.com/newsletter1.shtml

There is some debate on whether the 3rd axis should be set with a leveling device or actually on the bow while at full draw. Personally, I set mine in a vise to start. (I haven't come up with a really good way of adjusting it at full draw without help.) Regardless, I really believe it is an option worth having. All of my bows have 3rd axis sights. :peace:

sig_admin.png

#11 Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 09:36 AM

Wow - that's a really good explanation. Why didn't CJ put that in their technical instructions? I guess you could adjust it on the bow with the bow in a vice per their instructions (sort of) - would that help? It still doesn't give it to you at full draw, but that's better than I have now.

As a matter of fact, I have noticed my shots a little off (side-to-side) on steep grade, just thought I was having difficulty holding true with the level. Hmmm. Now I sound like Jessica Simpson doing her 1080i thing, "...but I wont it."

#12 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 02:08 PM

Wow - that's a really good explanation. Why didn't CJ put that in their technical instructions? I guess you could adjust it on the bow with the bow in a vice per their instructions (sort of) - would that help? It still doesn't give it to you at full draw, but that's better than I have now.

As a matter of fact, I have noticed my shots a little off (side-to-side) on steep grade, just thought I was having difficulty holding true with the level. Hmmm. Now I sound like Jessica Simpson doing her 1080i thing, "...but I wont it."

Everything you ever wanted to know about 3rd Axis Leveling, but were afraid to ask.

sig_admin.png

#13 Geoff / TBow

Geoff / TBow

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 04:02 PM

Jer,

Here's one suggestion that you can pass along to the folks at CJ's to improve their sights:

I have a Coper John Deadnuts sight and like it tremendously.....with one exception. The fibre optics have broken on three of my pins and I've had top buy new pins and replace them. On the pins I've replaced, I've had one of the fibre optic lead pop out of the pin hole and I've had to glue it back in as it no longer "snaps" snuggly in place as it was when it was new. The glue has degreased the ability of the fibre optics to transmit light to the extent when it was new and untouched. Very frustrating!

Even looking at the picture of the new sight that you've posted, I notice that the fibre optic leads are still somewhat exposed on the back of the pins, especially in hunting situations when you're crawling on the ground or in heavy underbrush. The circular pin guard does not offer that level of protection when branches are jutting in and out of the guard area and the fibre optic leads are so very fragile. I can appreciate that the fibre optics must be exposed to gather the required light, but if they're broken, it kind'a defeats the purpose of the whole thing.

If the fibre optics are being wrapped around the pin guard to enhance the light gathering capability, is it possible to now protect the fibre optics on the back of the pins, or else cover them with the same plastic tubing that seems to be used around the circular pin guard?

If I was purely shooting target or on a 3D range, then this problem would not be as significant. But as most of my archery experiences are in hunting situations, in predominantly heavy brush areas, then durability ranks right up there....IMHO!

Geoff / TBow
Every day you`re fortunate enough to wake up breathing, is cause for celebration!

#14 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 04:22 PM

Jer,

Here's one suggestion that you can pass along to the folks at CJ's to improve their sights:

I have a Coper John Deadnuts sight and like it tremendously.....with one exception. The fibre optics have broken on three of my pins and I've had top buy new pins and replace them. On the pins I've replaced, I've had one of the fibre optic lead pop out of the pin hole and I've had to glue it back in as it no longer "snaps" snuggly in place as it was when it was new. The glue has degreased the ability of the fibre optics to transmit light to the extent when it was new and untouched. Very frustrating!

Even looking at the picture of the new sight that you've posted, I notice that the fibre optic leads are still somewhat exposed on the back of the pins, especially in hunting situations when you're crawling on the ground or in heavy underbrush. The circular pin guard does not offer that level of protection when branches are jutting in and out of the guard area and the fibre optic leads are so very fragile. I can appreciate that the fibre optics must be exposed to gather the required light, but if they're broken, it kind'a defeats the purpose of the whole thing.

If the fibre optics are being wrapped around the pin guard to enhance the light gathering capability, is it possible to now protect the fibre optics on the back of the pins, or else cover them with the same plastic tubing that seems to be used around the circular pin guard?

If I was purely shooting target or on a 3D range, then this problem would not be as significant. But as most of my archery experiences are in hunting situations, in predominantly heavy brush areas, then durability ranks right up there....IMHO!

Geoff / TBow

Two things...

1) CJ already has you covered with their C.U.P. It works like a flip open lens cap on a rifle scope and completely protects the fiber optics. I can't imagine hunting without one.

2) When a fiber breaks there is no reason to replace the entire pin. One can buy bulk fiber by the foot (or longer) and replace them in seconds. To keep the fibers in place the end is simply melted with a lighter to make it "mushroom" once it is run through the hole and in place. (So, you can scrape off the glue and break out a Zippo. :) ) If you can not find fibers in your area you can order them from FitzFiber. You can even order the clear tubing and do a longer fiber modification as I did on my '05 Pro III. Or, you can send it to Fitz and have them do it.

sig_admin.png

#15 Geoff / TBow

Geoff / TBow

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 04:40 PM

Jer,

I don't have the flip open cover on my pin guard, but will consider one. If I had my preference however, I'd like to keep the pins exposed at all times to alleviate one less movement that I'd have to take in the event that I was "still" hunting and happened upon a deer without warning. And it has happened to me before.

Once I hit the bush, I'm usually out all day. If a pin or fibre optic breaks while I'm out hunting, I don't carry around a lot of gear to make the kind of repairs that you mentioned, although I do carry some stuff with me.

I like my gear to be as tough as it can be within reason. Although I take care of my equipment and maintain it regularly, I don't baby it when I hit the woods.

I've considered trying to put some plastic tubing over the fibre optic leads over my pins, or better yet, if I can find some clear heat shrink, that'd even be better.

Geoff / TBow
Every day you`re fortunate enough to wake up breathing, is cause for celebration!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users