Photo

CVA Electronic Ignition System

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

Poll: For or Against Electronic Ign. System om Muzzleloader? (11 member(s) have cast votes)

For or Against Electronic Ign. System om Muzzleloader?

1. 1) For (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. 2) Against (8 votes [72.73%])

Percentage of vote: 72.73%

3. 3) no opinion (3 votes [27.27%])

Percentage of vote: 27.27%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,334 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 03:30 PM

Here?s one to weigh in on: Three years ago, Remington came out with an electronic ignition system for centerfire cartridges that replaced the conventional one with a trigger that closed a circuit and zapped a current into an electronic primer, which ignited the powder charge. The Etronx system worked very well, but did not succeed commercially for reasons known only beyond my pay grade.

Now, CVA has come up with some very similar to Etronix system in a black-powder rifle. The .50 muzzle-loader, called Electra, dispenses with the beloved 209 shotgun primer, and relies instead upon electronic circuitry that sends them volts right into the powder charge. So what you get is a no-movement trigger, lightning-fast ignition, more uniform powder burning, and less mess to clean up.

Electra is powered by a 9-volt lithium battery that is good for 500 shots. That noise you hear is Jim Bridger whirling in his grave.

Now there are two ways to view this:
Electra is an amazing step forward in black powder shooting, and deserves to be a monstrous success.

Electra runs counter to the whole idea of using a muzzleloader, where you're supposed to be using a primitive weapon. Why not have done with it and develop cartridges for the thing?

Which side are you on?
To me it takes the charm out of hunting with a muzzleloader when they get too modern. Not against someone else using it, but just not for me.

Edited by Spirithawk, 19 June 2007 - 04:38 PM.

#2 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,657 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 06:13 PM

Wonder if they will have a battery strength indicater in it too. Imagine cleaning up your electronic muzzleloader by immersing it in hot soapy water and scrubbing it clean. Naa I'll just stick with a piece of stone.

Does anyone realize that the priming cap was invented in the very early 1800's and even that did not catch on in any big way for over 50 years during the civil war.

Edited by PA RIDGE RUNNER, 10 January 2007 - 06:16 PM.

If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#3 Eric

Eric

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 09:06 PM

:(X :no: :no: Not for me. I think I will just stick with what I use. :yes:
AKA PA Spike King
Casters Hunting Club
Real Men Shoot Flintlocks
International Harvester Tractors
2008 Realtree Turkey Contest Team Champs!

#4 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,834 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 10 January 2007 - 09:10 PM

Seems like an interesting concept but I think I'd rather use the old fashioned guns.
-Eric

#5 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 868 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 03:47 PM

While I a someone that does not care what a person hunts with, there comes a point where you have to draw a line in the sand. Technology has advanced muzzleloaders a great deal. That's why some States are now backing down on their "what's allowed list" and restricting some rifles and projectiles. Something like this only adds fuel to the flame.

I guess the next step is lasers or something at 2000 yards...

I am not against too much but electronic ignition.. that's for a car not a rifle.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#6 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,657 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 04:34 PM

Over the years I have read a little about experiments with caseless ammo. The attempts are centered around a type of cartridge that when fired is totally consumed with the shot. Of course it has never succeeded. Oh they have developed several that actually work but have yet to address the problems associated with moisture and the like.

Hey we muzzleloaders have been using caseless ammo for centuries and we are still plagued with the moisture problem.

Actually there has not been much of any advances in even modern rifles since the late 1800s.

Except for the inline which isn't much of a change there hasen't been any quantum leap there either.

#7 mzlloader

mzlloader

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 628 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 09:37 PM

I wonder what the states like colorado will do where you cant have an electronit device on your bow, will it be allowed on your mzzle loader just a thought,
Trophy Hunting: Its not about the Size of the Trophy, But the Memories and Experince Of the Hunt That count, SCOUTS OUT,

www.arizonaoutfitter.com

#8 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,334 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 07:39 PM

Good point RL. I'm like you guys. If you're going to go that far then why use a muzzle loader at all? To me the whole charm of muzzle loader hunting is the simplicity of the weapons and hunting with a weapon that has the same challenges of those our ancestors used. Take all that away and what's the point? Sure you can hunt an extra season but when I feel there's no challenge I'll quit hunting.

#9 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,657 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 09:20 PM

To get my mind off things for a little while I have been reading a book Titled "The Gun and its Development" by W. W. Greener. This book was written in 1910 and lo and beholld on page 510/511 Mr Greener states that a bunch of years previous to 1910 a French baron had an electric muzzleloading gun made. This would have been about 1870 or so. It even shows an illustration of the battery in the stock. So I guess CVA isnt inventing anything new at all.

#10 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,334 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 12:11 PM

Makes a person wonder if there's really such a thing as an original idea anymore. :lol:

#11 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,657 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 05:26 PM

Spirithawk other things mentioned in that chapter are things like barrel porting and screw in chokes for shotguns and silencers.

#12 Eric

Eric

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 09:13 PM

Yeah and you all thought we were ahead of our times. :no: :lol: :lol:
AKA PA Spike King
Casters Hunting Club
Real Men Shoot Flintlocks
International Harvester Tractors
2008 Realtree Turkey Contest Team Champs!

#13 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,137 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 03:39 PM

Aw heck! Let's just put a playstation controller on the stock and be done with it :lol:

An electronic ignition system is not without it's challenges and fallacies.

Ever had a car that doesn't start every time you turn the ignition? ;)

Edited by Leo, 02 February 2007 - 03:39 PM.

Posted Image

#14 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,334 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 06:43 PM

Next thing you know you'll have to take your rifle into the neighborhood garage to get a tune up before hunting season. ;) :lol:

#15 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 868 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 08:12 PM

The worst part of something like electronic ignition systems is it gives the wrong information/message to those that want to do away with inline muzzleloaders from the muzzleloading season. All to often on forums you see the debate that inlines should be with the center fires. I don't want to get that started as it leads nowhere but to hard feelings. This is just more fuel to the fire.

We have to contend with manufacturers that want to sell their products by claiming you can shoot 200+ yards with the velocity of a center fire rifle. While some loads might push some of those limits, what kind of message does that send? How many of us would attempt such a shot? With a scope, maybe.. if I could find a place without trees to practice like the devil, shooting 200 yards and know what the rifle would do. Then there is the difference between target range and hunting range shooting.

Most hunters I talk to about muzzleloaders shoot 80-110 grains of powder. Why? Because that is where the accuracy is and where the recoil on some rifles not so brutal that it makes you flinch. Manufacturers have made their sales pitch too good. I own several inline rifles. Not one of them shoots a magnum load. But isn't it more appealing to own a MAGNUM rifle. Just kind of sounds better. Even if you don't use it.

When Fish & Game departments hear; center fire velocity, 200+ yard capable, and now electronic ignition.. what do you think they are going to do? This innovation might look real good to CVA but to me its the writing on the wall. I do not endorse such a thing, nor would I ever purchase such a thing. Even if the price was affordable. Flip a switch and fire a rifle. Next they will add a plug in cord so you an set the rifle in a solid gun vice and shoot the rifle remote control.

Lets remember what this sport is. I urge everyone.. don't purchase such a thing, nor endorse it. Make the company realize it is a bad idea and pull it from the shelves...

sorry for the rant.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users