8 replies to this topic

#1 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 09:26 AM

I have not seen them out yet but I guess Mathews is making a budget line of bows called Mission Archery. Like Hoyt and Bowtech has there sub line up. This ought to be interesting to watch how the three compete for this lower cost or entry level bow business. Although Diamond bows does have a bow around $700 now.

http://missionarchery.com/

Has anyone here looked these over yet?

Edited by Rowdy Yates, 12 January 2007 - 09:27 AM.

"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#2 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 11:23 AM

The only comment I'll make is this.

It's about time Mathews figured out it needed to do this.
Posted Image

#3 mudduck

mudduck

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:Interested in almost everything, unless it bores me, then I'm not interested anymore

Posted 12 January 2007 - 12:02 PM

Mathews currently lists the FX2 at 449.00. I wonder if the Mission bow line will be significantly below that? http://mathewsinc.com/mathews-bows-FX2-44-...asp#description

#4 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 12 January 2007 - 12:36 PM

Mathews currently lists the FX2 at 449.00. I wonder if the Mission bow line will be significantly below that?? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?  http://mathewsinc.com/mathews-bows-FX2-44-...asp#description

Mission Archery

Nope... The prices I saw on Mission's three models were $339, $449, and $559. The price difference in the three models comes from the amount of machining (material removed etc) done to the risers. The riser on the top model is also camo dipped (the other two are black). Add to this the fact that Mathews will still only sell these bows through their network of largely spaced out pro shops (no Cabela's, Bass Pro, Sportsman's Warehouse, etc) and I see a small collection of bows that probably won't sell too well at all. (Unless Mathews discontinues any bow under $600 or so in their line-up. Which wouldn't surprise me, actually.)

Bottom line: We had two types of customers when I worked at Endless (authorized Mathews dealer). Those who wanted to buy the newest Mathews no matter what and those who wanted to buy something along the lines of a PSE Nova package. (Something completely set up for $299 total.) These are a far cry from either. Perhaps it will create a new market. (Obviously this is what Mathews is banking on.) But, I don't see it happening without more exposure/availability. That's just my opinion.

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#5 Larry $

Larry $

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 12:56 PM

Sounds kind of like GM trying to market a Cadillac Geo. :huh:
Elk: it's what's for dinner!

#6 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 03:38 PM

Jeremiah did you have a chance yet to actually shoot any of these Mission bows?

I was wondering if you did and what your impression was afterwards.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#7 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 12 January 2007 - 07:38 PM

Jeremiah did you have a chance yet to actually shoot any of these Mission bows?

I was wondering if you did and what your impression was afterwards.

No. I generally find the ability to walk/stand without ambulatory aids to be beneficial for me when going to try out new bows. So, until I can do that I won't be. If I were to take a wild guess I would say that they will shoot like a cross between an FX and an MQ32.

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#8 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 08:19 PM

Mathews currently lists the FX2 at 449.00. I wonder if the Mission bow line will be significantly below that?                                                                                                                  http://mathewsinc.com/mathews-bows-FX2-44-...asp#description

Mission Archery

Nope... The prices I saw on Mission's three models were $339, $449, and $559. The price difference in the three models comes from the amount of machining (material removed etc) done to the risers. The riser on the top model is also camo dipped (the other two are black). Add to this the fact that Mathews will still only sell these bows through their network of largely spaced out pro shops (no Cabela's, Bass Pro, Sportsman's Warehouse, etc) and I see a small collection of bows that probably won't sell too well at all. (Unless Mathews discontinues any bow under $600 or so in their line-up. Which wouldn't surprise me, actually.)

Bottom line: We had two types of customers when I worked at Endless (authorized Mathews dealer). Those who wanted to buy the newest Mathews no matter what and those who wanted to buy something along the lines of a PSE Nova package. (Something completely set up for $299 total.) These are a far cry from either. Perhaps it will create a new market. (Obviously this is what Mathews is banking on.) But, I don't see it happening without more exposure/availability. That's just my opinion.

Thanks for the extra info Jeremiah.

If this is indeed the case what I said doesn't apply. Mathews needs an outlet for older technology bows like Hoyt and Bowtech that does indeed go through the major outdoor franchises. Another "Dealers Only" brand for the company, on essentially older technology bows IMHO was a dumb dumb move :(

Like Jeremiah I don't believe the company will sell enough bows to justify it's existence.

This is a classic marketing boo boo I've seen all too many times unfortunately. Companies often try to grow by making "baby steps" into a new market. Companies often don't recognize that a product does not in itself create a new market. If you neglect that fact marketing only into arenas that have the same customer base, all you do is complete with yourself. This is called a cannibalistic productline. These things can bankrupt a company.

Edited by Leo, 12 January 2007 - 08:41 PM.

Posted Image

#9 Chrud

Chrud

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 514 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors, racing and sports.

Posted 13 January 2007 - 08:21 AM

Cool idea. I don't know how well they sell. I understand what Jeremiah is saying...I like to get more expensive bows and my brother and cousin are the Nova type folks.

I think they will sell. They won't fly off the shelves, but they'll do fine. I think the MAX-4 HD camo looks really cool on them! :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users