24 replies to this topic

#1 Whistle Pig

Whistle Pig

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 05:37 PM

I have not yet checked the laws in carry a handgun from state to state, or the concealed carry permit laws...right now I'm trying to figure out what to tote.
Posted Image
To me, this says (to a cougar) "I'll take it like a man!"

This says,
Posted Image
"Bang"

The other thing is though, the knife could always cut toilet paper to you after the encounter!
Posted Image

#2 mzlloader

mzlloader

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 628 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 05:53 PM

WOW I might need to hang a sign on the dinner tent, PLEASE CHECK WEAPONS AT THE DOOR, that way I wont have to worry if dinner is not to everyones likeing :( :( :( :(
Trophy Hunting: Its not about the Size of the Trophy, But the Memories and Experince Of the Hunt That count, SCOUTS OUT,

www.arizonaoutfitter.com

#3 Whistle Pig

Whistle Pig

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 07:59 PM

I won't take it in the chow tent then, I don't wanna risk getting cold cocked in the back of the head. Who knows what that would do to a flat lander at that altitude. ;)
Posted Image

#4 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 25 March 2005 - 12:36 PM

I've experinced that encounter and I'm still here to tell the tail, and I wasn't carring a back up.

I'll leave it up to you to ponder the rest of the story :)

by the way the mtn lion was at 12 ft ( stepped it off, 4 paces )
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#5 BrandonT

BrandonT

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 208 posts
  • Interests:Anything outdoors!

Posted 31 March 2005 - 07:59 PM

And harvested it with a knife! That takes some guts Bruce! ;) :D
BrandonT

#6 WayneBizzle

WayneBizzle

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 03:46 PM

I noticed the sub-title to the topic and thought maybe it was a new Kung-Fu movie :P
Posted Image

#7 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 22 April 2005 - 12:19 AM

No knife BT :) but it would have made the story better.

The main item of concern when elk hunting, if you are using calls, is to keep in mind that a lost cow call or a calf call, is also the dinner bell to the bears and cougars. Keep that in mind when using them.
Also having Larry $ as your hunting partner will almost insure a bear encounter.

In most cases you will be able to back out of a situation just learn to breath and keep your wits about you. Over all, the bears and cougars will be staying clear of you.
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#8 Larry $

Larry $

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 06:28 AM

But I still carry a .45 when I'm in the woods.
Elk: it's what's for dinner!

#9 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts

Posted 23 April 2005 - 01:08 AM

only cause you are a bear magnet LOL.
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#10 sschneid73

sschneid73

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 23 April 2005 - 09:03 AM

Well I have a plan if I have a close encounter. I will just planly tell the rascal that I am over 50 and my brother in law is much younger and tasteier. :lol: I think that ought to cover my behind.

Steve

#11 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 31 March 2006 - 05:57 AM

Hmmmm is this advanced warning for me to bring my 9mm along with me as a safety back-up? LOL Hmmm does CO allow a side-arm as protection from predatory animals?

I'm not too shabby with my stick flinger, but, i would much rather pump 9 rds. of 9mm ammo into a mt. lions head than shoot a stick at it if one is charging at me.

Edited by TerryfromAR, 31 March 2006 - 05:59 AM.

Semper Fi

#12 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 10:00 AM

you are allowed to carry, legal and in plain view.
that means if its raining and put a pancho on, if your pancho covers your side arm, you are now carring concelled. you can be sighted for that.

if you use your side arm to defend yourself. be prepaired for an investigation that could lead you to believe, guilty untill proven innocent.

it is legal to protect yourself, but the DOW is going to want to see where the confrontation occured, proof that your life was truley at risk ( you will only come away clean ) if you can prove it was a life threatening situation.

don't pump 9 rounds into a cat specialy if its hit once and turning to run away.
side and rear entrance wounds on the animal will show excessive force and you have now illigally taken wild life.

In the mtns i've had both encounters with bears and with cats. both cases a calm head and moving slowly and diagonaly way played a big role in not going down the road of fining out just wear the leagal bounderies were.
topping a ridge and having a large sow black bear top from the other side and there you are 20 yards or less nose to nose and she is pawing the ground ( looked like an umpirer cleaning home plate )
it was rifle elk season....I lowered my 300 win mag on her and started moving off to my right in a diagnoal away from her. I didnt turn and run I stayed facing her and after some distance was put between us...she did the same.
we each went on our way.

simply pay close attention while your out in the field :) you'll be fine.
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#13 paturbo

paturbo

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 01:33 PM

I can't see the photo's. So I can't tell if RL is worring for nothing. :lol:

RL is my girlfriend coming to Elkatrez III :)

MD

#14 Ironranger

Ironranger

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 08:53 PM

So BruceMC, I take it we adapt and use the same policy for Kitties that my hometowners use in Northern MN for wolves...The Three "S" rule...Shoot...Shovel...Shut Up... :o)

#15 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 10:44 PM

LOL IR I didnt say that...but if you shoot, I don't want to know, unless its ONE shot center of teh chest with powder burns on the fur.
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users