Photo

Tree Steps & Climbing Sticks ?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Poll: What is your choice, steps or sticks and what style? (20 member(s) have cast votes)

What is your choice, steps or sticks and what style?

1. 1. Screw-in non folding (3 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

2. 2.Screw-in single fold (1 votes [5.56%])

Percentage of vote: 5.56%

3. 3. Screw-in double fold (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. 4. Strap on steps (1 votes [5.56%])

Percentage of vote: 5.56%

5. 5. Climbing (sticks or ladder sections) (13 votes [72.22%])

Percentage of vote: 72.22%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 RobertR

RobertR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 312 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 12:30 PM

I have use them all except strap on steps. I prefer single fold screw- in steps over the doulble fold or solid screw-in steps because they are easier to get out. As for climbing sticks and ladder type sections I like the ladder type because they give you a better hand hold but the stick type is not as obvious and has a lower profile.
On the other side of the coin the solid screw-in steps are bigger and give you more to step on compared to folding steps.

Edited by RobertR, 13 January 2007 - 12:31 PM.

Posted Image
I'M NOT AFRAID OF COMMITMENT I'VE BEEN HUNTING AND FISHING MY WHOLE LIFE!
Montana Hunting Discovering Montana

#2 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 12:47 PM

I have limited experience with any of these but the few times I've used screw in type steps they were not in very tight and rusty. Plus I've heard nightmare stories from other guys getting hurt using them.

Ladders I've used by Summit and their strap on steps and they worked great and went up easy. Tried Lone Wolfs strap on steps too and they worked pretty good.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#3 RobertR

RobertR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 312 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 02:16 PM

Rowdy there are a few reasons why one would get hurt using screw-in steps of any kind.
First being not screwed in far enough and not being screwed in the thinnest part of the bark and not between the cracks in the bark.
The only reason for them being loose is not being screwed in right and being left in the tree for to long or excessive weight and basically striping the step out. If a screw-in step is left in tree for to long lets say six months it begins to rot around the screw.
If I use a stand location the coming year without taking the stand down I either take the steps out or unscrew them and reposition the steps in a new spot. One other thing if a stand is left in a tree for the coming season be sure to loosen the chain, strap or what ever secures the stand to the tree because when the tree starts the new growing season it will tighten the chain or strap and even rip the stitching out on a nylon strap.
Posted Image
I'M NOT AFRAID OF COMMITMENT I'VE BEEN HUNTING AND FISHING MY WHOLE LIFE!
Montana Hunting Discovering Montana

#4 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 02:47 PM

I've used screw in steps before and they always make me a little uneasy. There's no way I know of that lets me know if one is about to let go. Most folks I know who use them contend just tighten them up at twist if they feel loose. I am sure that works but only to a point. When you strip out the hole you're done.
Posted Image

#5 paturbo

paturbo

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 05:36 PM

I have used the screw in steps and have not had any problem with them, except that they are a pain to put in and take out. So I have opted for the ladder stands and ladder sections, I have found these much easier to use. Just my humble two cents worth.

Md

#6 sticknstring

sticknstring

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 12:04 PM

I think i've used all mentioned here-but rely on the screw ins the most. On public land hunts they r illegal-therefore I use a tripod stand or strap-on steps. I usually set up in live-oak trees-the most prolific tree here and they do NOT lose their leaves in winter making for excellent cover for a bowstand. Oaks are very hard wood-if you screw in all the way, most likely won't come out on you. I've always stepp lightly initially and brace myself for worst scenario. I think there is more possibility for accident due to the fact of "wet& muddy" rubber soles SLIPPING on the cold metal steps . This has always been more of a concern and reality for me when using screw ins.

#7 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 05:21 PM

Like Dave, I've used the screw ins in the past but now opt for ladder stands. I just like the comfort, stability and room of the "Buddy" type stands.

#8 sschneid73

sschneid73

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 10:22 AM

I have probably over 100 types of screw ins. I also own 4 ladder stands which I prefer for all the above reasons. I do use the hang on stands still with the screw in steps but as I get older I much prefer safty over getting hurt.

Steve

#9 Rage N Retard

Rage N Retard

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 05:57 PM

I use lock on's & climbing sticks makes for a easy set up.
AFTER FULLDRAW IT'S ALL OVER EXCEPT THE BLEEDING!!!

#10 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 06:09 AM

Screw in steps are illegal on public land in PA and most private landowners won't allow hunters to use them either. Each time a screw in type is used, it damages a tree. Every hole is a starting point for disease, it gives insects easier access into the inner core of the tree, and it hurts the possible timber value for the landowner. Not trying to get anyone in a defensive mode, but climbing sticks held in place by rachet straps are a better choice when considering all aspects....tree/landowner/hunter. :peace:
Posted Image

#11 Geoff / TBow

Geoff / TBow

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 04:25 PM

Screw-in steps are not illegal in my area, and they are my preference. I use the one piece steps and not the folding. I prefer the screw-in steps over the climbing stick type devices or ladder stands, as I like to be able to be mobile and don't like the cumbersome aspect of carrying around a lot of bulky gear.

When I head out deer or moose hunting in the fall, I'm usually out all day, and may not even make a trip back to my vehicle until the day is over. Tree steps (stored handily in my fanny pack and duct taped together so's not to make any noise) and lightweight portable treestands allow me to still hunt while still packing my stand gear with me.

I find it easier to install and remove the tree steps, if I use a 1/2" or 3/4" PVC conduit cut 4" to 6" long. It makes it a lot easier on the hands and gloves and I'm able to put more pressure inwardly on the step when screwing it in. By using the conduit, the steps seam to spin in with less effort on my part.

The points of the steps must also be elongated, gradually tapered (not stubby) and come to a very sharp point. They'll start a lot easier in any tree. Be careful in softwoods such as poplars and the like and avoid screwing steps into cracks or splits in trees just to make it easier to screw them in.

Geoff / TBow
Every day you`re fortunate enough to wake up breathing, is cause for celebration!

#12 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 02:32 PM

One thing to consider is that if you hunt on state land most Conservation Departments won't allow screw in steps. Something to keep in mind.

#13 FrankSr

FrankSr

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 03:51 PM

I have used the one-piece screw-ins and the folding ones. But the landowner requested that we not use them anymore. That includes the screw-in bow hanger. So I have been trying to come up with a way to hang my bow without spending alot of money. Tried a block of wood with a bowhanger screwed into it and a single ratchet strap. But it twisted and slid down the tree when I put the bow on it.

#14 irinman2424

irinman2424

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 05:03 PM

Frank Im getting ready to make some that will handle a ratchet without twisting Ill show you one when Im done if you want one Ill make you one too
I believe in fillet and release!

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users