Windows Vista

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 16 January 2007 - 05:12 PM

Who's going to take the plunge?

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#2 MuleDeer

MuleDeer

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 11:22 PM

I have done it. Only do it when you have lots of free time. I did an upgrade on my laptop and it took about 5 hours. I still have lots of little things to work on, drivers and such, but so far so good. This web site does have display issue with text. Oh well in a week or so I will think it is the norm. :surfer:

#3 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 16 January 2007 - 11:40 PM

I will probably do it as well... It's only a matter of when. (Right now I certainly have the time, just not the money. LOL)

There are two little letters that still scare me though every time I see a new version of Windows... M E

LOL... Though I doubt anything could ever be that big of a flop I must admit I still think about it from time to time. I've really enjoyed XP and would hate to find myself with something less stable. So, let me know how it works out.

sig_admin.png

#4 MuleDeer

MuleDeer

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 11:18 AM

I wouldn't pay for it now either. But since I have an MSDN license through work I couldn't resist. I installed Vista Ultimate. I will let you know if Ultimate is a good thing or a bad thing.

#5 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 02:27 PM

The only MAJOR gripe I have with XP. When I upgraded to it years ago I got blindsided by a couple of hardware compatibility issues I didn't expect. These were unfortunately unresolvable.

I had to get a new scanner and a new printer. Which BTW didn't show up in the pre-installation compatibility scans. So the upgrade cost me a lot more than I expected.

That being said, XP was certainly a pretty good apology for ME ( :eek: ) But then again you had to pay for that apology :wacko:

Like Jeremiah, my appetite to be an early adopter on new Windows releases has probably been spoiled for quite awhile.
Posted Image

#6 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 05:19 PM

Apparently drivers for both Soundblaster and Logitech are still Beta.

That doesn't give me a warm fuzzy :no:
Posted Image

#7 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 06:17 PM

Apparently drivers for both Soundblaster and Logitech are still Beta.

That doesn't give me a warm fuzzy :no:

ROFL!

I've had more problems with Creative Labs (SoundBlaster) over the years than I care to think about. (The best was incompatibility with the editing software we used at DWP.) Oh well... I don't know anyone who makes a better card. So, I guess there isn't much that can be done. But, it wouldn't surprise me if they let me down again. (How convenient my Audigy just died last week and I am in the market for a new card. :doh: )

I've heard early reviews of Vista are saying, "It's real pretty, but has no substantial new features really worth upgrading for." I do love the, frankly, Mac OSX look though... Might still be enough to get me to leap.
*oooOooohhwww... Preeettyyy...* :rolleyes:

sig_admin.png

#8 MuleDeer

MuleDeer

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 07:06 PM

Make sure your graphics card has enough horse power to run Windows Aero. Without it you miss out on the bells and whistles.

#9 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 07:54 PM

Make sure your graphics card has enough horse power to run Windows Aero. Without it you miss out on the bells and whistles.

Fortunately for me I just upgraded that about 7 months ago... Radeon X850 Pro should be plenty for it. If I do upgrade it will be just for that (Aero). Knowing me I probably will do it. But, I'm really trying to wait. :rolleyes:

sig_admin.png

#10 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 05:01 PM

Honestly, Windows history of Tanking ever other release since Win95 gives me pause.

1. Windows 95 (Decent)
2. Windows 98 (Uh oh)
3. Windows 98 SE (see they fixed it! :o )
4. Windows ME (CRAPTACULAR!!!)
5. Windows XP (Much better, oops obsoleted a lot of hardware need a Service Pack 1 AND 2. We won't charge this time. :rolleyes: )
6. Everyones finally got XP working so time for WINDOWS VISTA!

Eventually hardware support for XP will disappear completely and we won't have a choice :( But as long as it ain't broke ;)
Posted Image

#11 VicMc

VicMc

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 06:30 AM

Me being a gamer heres just a little tidbit to add;

Here's a real comparison with applications and games....

http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/01/29/xp-vs-vista/

While this will eventually change, Vista runs UT2004 32% slower than XP currently does! Not sure how it will do yet on my Counterstrike Source and BF2142 yet. lol

Now this is not taking into consideration the incompatibility issues that may sprang up, but either wy I see a substantial hit on the ol' wallet coming. :)

"Good Luck and Good Hunting"

#12 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 08:56 PM

Some interesting stuff on that site Vic! Thanks

Most interesting to me was the interesting tidbit that several older programs won't run on Vista.

You have to buy the new updated versions to get things running again. IMO, that's practically extortion. :o
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users