• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#16 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 10:19 AM

I finally sent for my copy yesterday. I can't wait till it gets here.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#17 iamyourhuckleberry

iamyourhuckleberry

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 944 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 08:17 AM

Has anyone else received their dvd yet? :huh:
Posted Image

Lurking in McDonalds near you!

Confidence makes the hunter, PSE makes the bow.

#18 Larry $

Larry $

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 05:07 PM

I got 2 awesome things in the mail today. The first was our copy of the DVD which we're going to try to watch over the weekend. Can't wait! The second thing was the contract from the outfitter for my elk hunt with my twin brother this coming October. Can't wait!!!!
Elk: it's what's for dinner!

#19 Tenn. Ridgerunner

Tenn. Ridgerunner

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 01:20 PM

Rowdy sounds like you are not going to Africa anytime soon. However you maybe able to convice her to go with you and let her do a photo safari while you hunt. ;) ;)
There is nothing more enjoyable than the sound of the woods waking up in the morning.

#20 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 03:14 PM

Rowdy sounds like you are not going to Africa anytime soon. However you maybe able to convice her to go with you and let her do a photo safari while you hunt.  ;)  ;)

Little known fact.

PHOTO SAFARIS are MORE expensive than actual hunts :yes:

Part of your hunting safari cost is defrayed by the outfitter selling the meat of the animals you actually harvest. You get to eat some of the meat while you are there. The staff gets some, and they distribute surplus amongst their family. They don't freeze it, they eat what they get when they get it. Some of the staffs family is rather large. Eight families is a lot of folks. What is left over gets SOLD. You can not bring any meat back with you nor do you OWN IT. You own the hide and horns and that's it.

As a result, Photo only safaris have GROSSLY inflated daily fees. They don't take you to the most interesting spots because folks are actively hunting them. Hunting is what makes them the most money. The photo only safari guys barely eak out a living.

There are cool places to go like Kruger park where no hunting is allowed. You'll see some really cool stuff there, and really sad stuff if you're paying attention. It's a photo safari must do. Essentially you are resolved to that one park, landscape or roadside photos. And in my opinion that alone makes photo only safaris a major rip off.

The sad thing is, on a photo only safari, it is highly unlikely you will get, even with top notch great equipment, some photos that are as dramatic or close up as the ones on the DVD. Photographing animals from the back of a Safari photo tour wagon just is not going to allow it. The animals know you are there and they react accordingly.

Now sitting inside a waterhole bow blind with you is a different story entirely. You get a break on daily fees on the non-hunting occupant because one person is actually hunting. And surprise, since your goal is to avoid detection, the animals behave naturally. Photo opps come to you not the other way around.

If you want to support South Africa and their wildlife, HUNT IT. That's the country's product that benefits the people and land the most. Simply put, for a renewable resource to remain viable it must be renewed. If everybody only photographed stuff over there, they would never need more than one big kudu or big whatever. Just take those tourists to "Big Moe"... next stop. If some folks had their way under the misconception they are protecting these animals, that's all we'd have :(

Honestly, it really bothers me when "hunters" ask me, "Why would anyone ever shoot one of those?"

My answer is always, "Because I want there to be more of them."

"Survival of the cutest" is not a law of nature though it is a mantra far too many have picked up. It is so very hard for some to understand. Not hunting an animal diminishes it's value to the human race and hurts it's chances for survival not help it. I take the view that if folks don't support hunting some animals they must really hate them :(.

This picture I took of a steenbok, taken from a bow blind is on the DVD. Yes I didn't harvest one while I was there. My guide did ;) A steenbok wasn't in the budget for me. The fact remains. No way you could have taken this photo on a drive by clicking exhibition. And the photo only crowd is not gonna sit eight hours in a blind for this. Simply because they have no idea, what might happen and what the good Lord may give them.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#21 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 03:56 PM

And my wife doesn't know how to use a camera thank goodness! I thought about the idea of bringing her along but there's no shopping to be done there and she'd be totally bored :o :o :rofl: and I've learned the hard way not to get her bored on a vacation on one of these adventures of mine.

Leo your video of that little buck being arrowed was way cool. Like you explained the steenbok is roughly the size of cat moves ever so quickly jumping the string.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#22 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 05:56 PM

Just got done watching mine.....AWESOME !
You folks sure had an adventure ! Excellent shooting & video work :bigthumb:
Whitetails don't have anything on the speed the African critters move!

Edited by Phil, 22 January 2007 - 05:57 PM.

Posted Image

#23 iamyourhuckleberry

iamyourhuckleberry

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 944 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 07:12 PM

Three things to add to the previous statements.

1) Phil is 100% correct, African animals flat out move! It is amazing how quickly they come and go. For the record, I shot a bunch of arrows in my pursuit to harvest a steenbok-I think nine total. They are a small target, and they rarely hold still long enough to set a yardage pin on them. I stayed clear of the water holes when I hunted mine. I really wanted the added challenge.

2) I disagree alittle with Leo's photo safaris statement-as it pertains to getting good quality photos. There are small outfits that take great pride in taking the time to get quality photographs. If you elect to do a photo safari, do your homework...be willing to deal with a bunch of idiots destroying your opportunities. It's amazing how the photo vulchers prey on your perfect setup. If they spot you, your done. Make sure you have plenty of time set aside to get plenty of shots and shoot plenty of film. I agree with Leo about hunting/photographing over water holes-this style of safari puts you in complete control.

3) Who says there's nothing to do for the ladies? Many of the safari outfitters have staff specifically there to take the girls out and about. No, there are no malls and such, but the road side stands can be a hoot! When I stayed with La Rochelle, The ladies were treated to daily spa activities-it was part of the hunt package the husbands negoiated. What everyone must remember about Africa is this..."you are treated extactly the way you want to be treated-like royality". If you want something, you only need to ask. Anything and everything can be arranged.

Flyfisher's wife, Karen, is ready to move to Africa. I would have never thought that! She enjoyed her trip that much!
Posted Image

#24 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 22 January 2007 - 07:16 PM

Hey Huck, did you get my check yet? If not, It'll probably get to you soon. All these good reviews are making me antsy :)- :yahoo:
-Eric

#25 iamyourhuckleberry

iamyourhuckleberry

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 944 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 07:26 PM

Eric,

Your dvd went out early Saturday morning. Watch for it. Remember to let us know what you think! :yes:
Posted Image

#26 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 22 January 2007 - 08:21 PM

Thanks Huck
-Eric

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users