• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 7pointbuck

7pointbuck

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  • Interests:bowhunting, muzzleloading, riding atvs, fishing, going to church, and my family and friends!

Posted 25 January 2007 - 05:20 AM

i am wanting to purchase a new ground blind to take with me to texas and also turkey hunt here in north carolina in the spring. i am wanting to stay under a hundred bucks. i have been looking at the ameristep doghouse blinds, any of you bowhunted out of these, can you draw from a stool or do you have to drop to your knees? the shoot through mesh, does it affect your arrows travel at all? thanks for the tips!

Bill

Edited by 7pointbuck, 25 January 2007 - 05:21 AM.

"My Freezer is a wildlife preserve!!!"

#2 huntfromthesoul

huntfromthesoul

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 08:05 AM

I had a doghouse a few years back and I simply hated it after the first day in it. I needed to stand up a little bit to get a shot a a buck with my rifle and when I did my gun barrel hit the top of the window and I couldn't get a shot off. Now .... I have sence changed my mind on the tent blinds as I call them. I think if I had spent a little more time in the blind I would have been set up a little differently. I kinda wish I still had it. Especially for turkey hunting. I think the most important thing is to practice. Especially if your going to shoot a bow from it. Like I said I kinda wish I still had mine and I might look into buying another. As for the screens you can shoot through I have no experence. Hope this helps. Matt
I choose to live simple so those who can't can simply live

#3 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 08:20 AM

Bill in tent blinds - My .02 - I have owned 4 and now own 2. IMHO you get what you spend and don't try to bowhunt out of small tent blind. You need more room than you would guess (you're no small guy) and I was cramped in a doghouse. You'll need more openings to shoot out of like the front and a side with the back closed off so your not seen moving. IMHO save your money and buy one large enough and of better quality and you can then take your daughter out with you this spring.

http://www.hunting-fishing-camping.com/cab...nds0033219.html
This is one I have and it's based alot on Double Bull Blinds with plenty of room. Easy to setup and take down compared to many of the others.

Edited by Rowdy Yates, 25 January 2007 - 08:36 AM.

"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#4 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 08:54 AM

I need at least a 68" square blind with straight sides to draw a bow in.

Things to note:

1. You can not shoot expandable broadheads thru the mesh. That is for fixed blade heads only.

2. The elbow on your drawing arm MUST NOT touch the wall of the blind when you shoot your bow. Not only will this make noise and movement that could spook game. This can really mess up your shot.

3. If you are bow hunting you need a chair in the blind without armrests. You will be taking shots while sitting so practice them ;)
Posted Image

#5 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 25 January 2007 - 09:17 AM

All I'll say to the Doghouse is don't do it! With your dollar amount restriction, the Brickhouse is the only way to go. (Double Bull would be the best solution. But, like I said, you've put a cap on it. ;) )

Now, when you read specs on the Doghouse and Brickhouse you're going to say to yourself, "What is Jeremiah talking about? They're both the same size!". I assure you, however, that the listed specs are misleading at best. You see, the Doghouse is shaped like a dome. The 60" x 60" dimensions they list are as measured by the base of the blind. Unfortunately, by the time you get up to the middle of the blind where you need the room for your drawn bow the Doghouse is about a foot narrower than the base dimensions. I own a Doghouse and the top limb of even a short axle to axle bow actually hits the wall/ceiling of the blind upon release thanks to the tapered dome shape. (Not to mention my elbow touches the blind on the draw.)

By contrast, the Brickhouse is a hub style blind. As with the Doghouse, the 60" dimensions are taken at the base of the blind. However, thanks to the hub design the blind is actually larger through the middle region where you need it most. (The pictures on their website don't do it justice.) I am a 30" draw length and neither the bow or my elbow comes close to the walls of the Brickhouse. It is the same dimensions as a Double Bull blind and they are made for bowhunting. (We actually had an Ameristep Brickhouse and Double Bull Matrix set up next to each other at the store for a couple months and ended up selling a ton of the Brickhouse because people could see they were identical in size etc.)

As to shoot through mesh, the boys at Double Bull shot Rocket mechanical heads through their mesh for years. Personally, I'm not a fan of the idea and when asked, "You've never had any problems doing that?" their response was, "Sure, we've had some issues on occassion." So, I'm not sure I'd rush to try it. With whatever you shoot, obviously practice with it exactly how you are going to hunt with it before you ever take it hunting.

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#6 Whip

Whip

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • Interests:Long walks in the woods carrying heavy equpment in poor weather. I live to hunt...other than that I am a full-time PhD student in entomology.

Posted 25 January 2007 - 11:59 AM

Get a double bull, without a doubt. You can draw from a stool without a problem. I am 6'4'', and I can draw my bow (31'') and have room to spare in my DB Matrix 360. Shooting through the mesh is fine with fized blades and most expandables....the only ones you shouldn't shoot through the mesh are the expandables with the L-shaped blades to assist opening. I would get a Matrix 360, they are pricey, but they will put the other blinds to shame.
Sean Whipple
PSE staff
It's not a passion, it's an obsession. ~Mossy Oak

#7 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 01:23 PM

On the Ameristep blinds I need to point out something that almost everyone misses.

The Doghouse and Doghouse TSC ARE NOT THE SAME BLIND!!

Most folks think the screens are the only difference. They base this on the fact Ameristep sells a conversion kit so the screens will work on the Doghouse.

The Doghouse TSC is a 68 x 68 blind vs the plain Doghouse 60 x 60. That 8 inches makes a HUGE difference. The TSC model is also got much much straighter sides. It's crucially important if you plan on bowhunting out of the doghouse blind to only consider the TSC model.

The Brickhouse looks like a great blind to me, but I know I'd miss the extra floor space. I can actually stretch out in my DH TSC and sleep (and have). Since I'm 6' 5" tall you can imagine that thing has to have LOTS of room to allow me to do that.

One thing I always tell folks. If you get a blind. The stakes that come with it are adequate for one or two day setups only. If you plan on keeping the blind in the same place for awhile (and for deer hunting you have to). Buy some full size nylon tent stakes and pound those in with a mallet in place of all those little wire stakes. Weighing down the floor and tying off to a tree or stump is a good idea too. Trust me, It's incredible how far a good wind can move one of those things thru the woods. First time it happened to me, we thought it was stolen. We found it almost a quarter of a mile away thru heavy timber. My buddies got pitched the same way two weeks later. Then we wised up. We've had them out as long as five months with no problems.

Edited by Leo, 25 January 2007 - 01:24 PM.

Posted Image

#8 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 04:08 PM

Bill beware of the model that Leo uses as it draws black widow spiders, maybe it is the extra space. :lol:

I have hunted out of a portable blind several times but only with a muzzleloader not a bow. With a muzzleloader you absolutely must have the end of the barrel outside at the shot. If not all the spiders and the humans inside will be smoked out. As I recall the one I used must have been a rival co imitation of the dog house. Set up and use was fine. I sure did have a problem getting that thing folded up and back into the carry bag in the dark without the benefit of the instructions.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#9 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 04:49 PM

I sure did have a problem getting that thing folded up and back into the carry bag in the dark without the benefit of the instructions.

And I knew it wasn't me - man I had the same problem folding that darn thing up to fit in the carrying bag.

The hub type are so much easier.

Edited by Rowdy Yates, 25 January 2007 - 04:49 PM.

"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#10 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 25 January 2007 - 05:06 PM

I have the original Doghouse and the Doghouse TSC. (Bought the TSC a year after the original.) To me, it still isn't near as roomy as the Brickhouse. Plus, I hate the fiber poles in the Doghouses. (Especially in the TSC since they go all the way to the floor.)

My $.02

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#11 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 10:33 AM

I don't doubt the Brickhouse has more room above the floorline than the DH TSC. I'm sure it does, that's an inherent advantage of Hub Style blinds. IMO Hub style is the way to go for bowhunting. But since I need alot of floorspace to stretch out on occasionally, the DH TSC has that advantage for me personally.

It depends on your needs. If you like the Doghouse, the TSC model is better. If you particularly want a bowhunting blind go with a hub style like the Brickhouse. I consider 60 x 60 the minimum size for a bow hunting blind if the sides go straight up. The more the sides slant in the larger the floor needs to be.
Posted Image

#12 RisingSunOutdoors

RisingSunOutdoors

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 03:59 PM

I have 3 Brickhouse blinds and they are roomy enough for two and I can stretch out if I need to...

Me and my wife hunted out of the DogHouse blinds before...our backs were killing up on the frist evening hunt. The small window is pretty short so a smal bucket was needed to shoot from.

After some unperminant modifications I was comfortable and could easily draw my bow.
AKA:Swat791..
I forgot where everyone went to and now I found ya'll!!!

Donnie

Rising Sun Outdoors

#13 Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 06:26 PM

I've killed a bunch of turkeys out of my doghouse, but it's tight - really tight. I saw an Ameristep (don't recall the model) at Gander Mountain that looks very much like the DB. It assembles much the same. The difference I saw was the Ameristep used velcro on the windows instead of hooks. The price was $140. I'm definitely considering getting one - it's the same size and shape as the DB.
"The Lord bless and keep you. The Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you. The Lord turn His face toward you and give you peace." Num 6:24-26

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users