7 replies to this topic

#1 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 09:58 AM

It?s an old question for most forums that keeps popping up. I?m like Uncle Ted I like to try different release aids. It doesn?t help my wallet any but I like trying out new styles especially those friends and fellow bowhunters recommend. So many are great out today and they keep improving them. And I have seen the damage when one comes apart at full draw and wasn?t pretty. (don?t bash just keep it positive)

So what release do you use if you use one? Trigger style and or back tension? And why? Spot and 3D different than the one you use for bowhunting?
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#2 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 05 April 2006 - 10:40 AM

Well Rowdy, i use a trigger style caliper release, and it works well for me, it's made by Tru Fire, and it's the model that is adorned with the green real tree pattern, (not sure what model specifically) i have tried a back tension, but i just didn't like the feel, plus it fired LONG before i got adjusted to where i needed to be, missed the entire target by about 3 ft diagonally ... i have also had 3 finger thumb trigger releases, but i tended to punch those, and throw my shots off, i use the one i currently have because i can get a smooth controlled release
Semper Fi

#3 Larry $

Larry $

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 01:14 PM

I tried a few different back tensions and just didn't like them for hunting. Then bought and used a 4-finger CJ Eagle. Didn't do too bad with that but still wasn't comfortable. I'm now using a Carter 2-shot and will probably stick with it for a loooooooooooong time. The 2-shot is one SWEET release! I would compare the feel of shooting my bow with the Carter to shooting my Kimber .45.

Edited by Larry $, 05 April 2006 - 01:16 PM.

Elk: it's what's for dinner!

#4 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 01:51 PM

I just use the ones I was born with. My fingers. ;) :lol: Never could get the hang of a mechanical release but my son can't shoot without one.

#5 WayneBizzle

WayneBizzle

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 01:58 PM

I prefer mechanical releases, but haven't experimented with different types. Still using the one I started with.
Posted Image

#6 mudduck

mudduck

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:Interested in almost everything, unless it bores me, then I'm not interested anymore

Posted 05 April 2006 - 02:21 PM

I use a trigger style release, a Fletch Hunter Shorty. Main reason is that it securely holds any string loop size. Wrist strap allows me to pull back with an open hand-which I like- and then just lay your index finger on the trigger and shoot. Posted Image

#7 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 05 April 2006 - 02:49 PM

I use a Sure-Fire Patriot that I got the day I bought my bow. Its not the smallest for fanciest but for 20 bucks it appealed to me. And to my wallet

Run
-Eric

#8 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 06 April 2006 - 04:59 AM

Ok, this is the closest one i can find to what i use, the biggest difference is that mine has the green realtree pattern on it in leau of the brown
Posted Image
Semper Fi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users