Photo

Shooting By Instinct

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Poll: Can You Shoot Accuratly With No Sights (19 member(s) have cast votes)

Can You Shoot Accuratly With No Sights

1. 1)Can Shoot by instinct with no sights, and hit your target consistantly (11 votes [57.89%])

Percentage of vote: 57.89%

2. 2) Can shoot by instinct , but just not consistant (2 votes [10.53%])

Percentage of vote: 10.53%

3. 3)Can't at all (2 votes [10.53%])

Percentage of vote: 10.53%

4. 4) Never tried (4 votes [21.05%])

Percentage of vote: 21.05%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 08:09 PM

First let me say I'm in no way knocking sights but I do believe that it can be very benificial to learn how to shoot by instinct. My son just can't do it but really he's never tried very hard to learn. I've seen him lose a day or more of hunting because we got afield and he discovered a mishap with his sights. I was just wandering how many of you all have tried and what your success rate was or if it's fast becoming a lost art? That's how I grew up shooting a bow and have decided to go back to shooting that way.

Edited by Spirithawk, 31 January 2007 - 08:10 PM.

#2 Woody

Woody

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 09:28 PM

Hey Norm, Kinda neat that you brought this up. That's how I got started in bowhunting with a recurve, instictive shooting. To this day I still only shoot a single pin or cross hairs, right now I am shooting cross hair but going back to a single vertical pin. It has to do with my eysight, not just old age :). Personally I feel it does improve my shooting. Just my .02 cents.
Posted Image
Woody, and the Queen
Woody's Knives and Leather

#3 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 09:51 PM

I voted in the past tense. I use to throw a nerf soccer ball out in the yard and shoot my 64" 39lb.pull recurve until I could hit it with every shot. I harvested 7 deer with that bow and another with a 50" 55lb. recurve before switching over to a compound. Seth still shoots a recurve and harvested a nice buck a few years back. I just may "regress" to the days of gadget free archery one day soon. :yes:
Posted Image

#4 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 31 January 2007 - 09:58 PM

wow lets go back to 6th grade and boyscouts.
our scout master was Mr Crabtree... he owned an insurance office.
down in the basmeent of his office was an archery range.
A friend of his Mr Redmond won some sort of national title back...man in the late 60's early 70's I belive....
Mr Crabtree and Mr Redmond would take us down to the range and teach us to shoot ( instictive ) with old fiberglass recurves.

find your anchor point...look down the shaft of the arrow...3 fingers...release :)

yep that is where I first learned about archery.

a few years later, shooting a borrowed recurve from a friend, I got my first deer.
it took a while to get back into the sport and now its 5 pin sites...and such...
but the ole recurves are still fun once in a while :)
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#5 mudduck

mudduck

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:Interested in almost everything, unless it bores me, then I'm not interested anymore

Posted 31 January 2007 - 10:04 PM

Kinda Hard to shoot instinctive when shooting a compound.

#6 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 10:18 PM

Not really Jeff. Not as hard as you might think. Just takes practice but I've seen some that it came easy to and others, like my son, that will never learn. I don't site down the arrow. I look at the point I want to hit and let it fly. Kinda like pointing a finger, you don't look at your finger you just look where your pointing. I've heard it said many times over the years that the most dangerous shot with a weapon is someone who's frightened, who has never shot before, and who simply points and fires because they don't know to use sights. They may not be able to repeat it, because then they start thinking about it, but that first shot is often dead on. There's many a police file that backs that up. That works with bows just as well as with a gun. With practice you'd be surprised that the kind of weapon really doesn't matter.

Edited by Spirithawk, 31 January 2007 - 10:24 PM.

#7 mudduck

mudduck

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:Interested in almost everything, unless it bores me, then I'm not interested anymore

Posted 01 February 2007 - 08:53 AM

Norm, maybe I didn't understand your question, but to me, instinctive shooting means drawing ones bow and releasing the arrow immediately without the conscious act of aiming. I have seen people shoot compounds without sights, but they come to full draw and actually aim the arrow at the target, to me, thats not instinctive. The time required to become proficient with that method, in the rare instance that might occur, just seems counter-productive, when it would be just as simple to pack a back-up sight. I really think you either go down one path or the other.

#8 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 09:11 AM

Per the Fitzgerald's (TV stars) :lol: shooting instinctive with compounds can be done but they do it like I do using a sight. Yeah they use fingures and all but they come back to full draw aim with two eyes open to fix spot for impact and release. Now the long bow users like Tred Barta (another TV star) :lol: draws fast and releases fast with his longbow. Huge difference too me. Tred Barta is instintive in truer sense of the style in my humble opinion. :yes:

Edited by Rowdy Yates, 01 February 2007 - 11:11 AM.

"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#9 mzlloader

mzlloader

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 628 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 09:28 AM

I shot no sights for a long long time, both recurve and compound, It was not until the late 80s while stationd In Va that I started to shoot 3d shoots that I switched to sights, I still shoot instinctive a little just because its fun, One of these days I am going to go after a desert mulie with recurve,

R L
Trophy Hunting: Its not about the Size of the Trophy, But the Memories and Experince Of the Hunt That count, SCOUTS OUT,

www.arizonaoutfitter.com

#10 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 10:51 AM

It's how I first learned. Like others. I used to.

For me I seem to be only able to shoot well instinctively "off the fist". That means put the arrow directly on the shelf moleskin or leather. Feather fletchings only. Put an arrow rest on the same bow and I just can't seem to do as well.

To develop the skill and keep you got to simply shoot the heck out of your equipment. It's like consistently sinking 3ptrs, it takes lots of practice.
Posted Image

#11 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 11:34 AM

No, Jeff you're 100% right about what I consider Instinctive shooting. Though many sight down the arrow, that's not the only way to do it and I don't consider that instinct. I would usually draw and release the instant I came to full draw, but I could hold and still hit pretty good.There is simply no substitute for practice. As a youngster I shot every day, no exception. To me a big key to being effective is simply relaxing and not giving it any thought. Just do it. The more you think about a shot, the more likely you're going to miss. I always shot a compound the same as I did a long bow. If you can point, shoot, and hit the target, why bother sighting down the arrow? That just complicated things. To me instinct shooting means just that, shooting by instinct, no sighting down anything. Maybe it always worked for me, even with a compound, simply because I was too dumb to know why it shouldn't. I use to shoot pool basically the same way and I beat many a so called pool shark. I made shots that most never tried simply because it never occurred to me that theoretically it wasn't suppose to work that way. But it did! My son would watch me shoot and just shake his head. He'd grab the bow from me and miss the whole target. I think it's because he tries too hard and doesn't relax, which brings up another point. When things start getting too complicated, they soon become less fun. My point is to just get out and give instinct shooting a try. Have fun with it. It could make you a better shot even if you do use sights. I'm not saying it's a necessity, just that if you can acomplish it, it opens up a whole new pleasurable exsperience with bow hunting and can come in handy. For instance, I tried my hand at using sights on the first compound I ever owned. While hunting I drew back on a nice 8pt. only to find that a spider web, I must have walked through, had clogged my peep sight. I couldn't see anything through it at all. No way to clear it, I was allready at full draw with the deer looking at me back over his shoulder. I didn't panic. I simply looked where I wanted the arrow to go, and not at the pins, and released. Result, one dead deer. Instinctive shooting paid for itself that day for sure.

Edited by Spirithawk, 01 February 2007 - 11:56 AM.

#12 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 01 February 2007 - 11:43 AM

20 yards and in and it's dead every time. Snap shooter all the way!

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#13 bonecollector34

bonecollector34

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 10:32 AM

The longbow hunters have always amazed me on their accuracy

fatty

Martyupdatedsignature2-1.jpg