#1 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 03:47 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8MlzJDcOv8

I saw this on another web site and you might have seen too. It appears to be a TV bowhunting personality you might recognize deer hunting out west. Takes an extremely long shot with his bow at mule deer. The distance is mentioned during the hunt before the shot was taken.

I thought I'd share it here and get your feed back. It has been edited for sure for the show he does for his archery equipment line. And what TV show isn't edited.

Edited by Rowdy Yates, 08 February 2007 - 04:22 PM.

"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#2 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 08 February 2007 - 04:00 PM

That's one heck of a shot for sure. Too bad he doesn't say what poundage he is shooting. I can't see even a 70# draw weight being effective at 100 yards. This is just my opinion and most likely it will change after reading some of the others posts but if you're blessed enough to be that good of a shot and consistently hit something that far away, I don't really see a reason why you shouldn't be able to shoot that far at a game animal. My two cents
-Eric

#3 mzlloader

mzlloader

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 628 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 04:25 PM

Well what I am about to say will no dought raise some eye brows.

But I personnaly know severl guys That practice at 100 yards, they have pins that go from 30 to 100 yards on their bows, and consistly shoot a 5 inch group at 100 yards, they shoot yotes, jackrabbits all year long to stay in shape, as a couple of you know who have been in this lower desert its tough to get close to some of those mosters.

I personally have a 70 yard pin on mine, and can shoot a sub 5 inch group at that distance, and would not hesitate to shoot one at 70 yards, That little buck I just shot in jan was 61 yards with the range finder, but I would not shoot past 70 because I have not practiced at that range,

With the way bows a shooting now, I dont see a problem it, but most people will, I can rember going thru the same debate when inline muzzle loaders started to hit the market, now guys myself inclueded are shooting out to 250 yards. when it comes down to it, its in the hands of the shooter if they practice practice practice at what ever distance and consistly hit the spot, then good, but what it also does is make look like any one can do it, and you will have that guy shooting at game that is way out of range for them,

last year I would not let sherri shoot her smoke pole past 125 yards this year with more practice she is good for 150 yards, next year we will see,

Ok I will get off my stool for now, rember its just my opinon, and my .02 cents

R L
Trophy Hunting: Its not about the Size of the Trophy, But the Memories and Experince Of the Hunt That count, SCOUTS OUT,

www.arizonaoutfitter.com

#4 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 08 February 2007 - 06:57 PM

A simple trip to the Jackson's Archery Ballistic Chart with your bow specs will tell you exactly what your gear can and can't do. (And there's no excuse for not knowing!) The question then becomes what can you do? Of course, I will also throw in the questions what will the terrain and elements limit me to?

Naturally, the ballistic chart does not take into account for wind and whether or not the bow is well-tuned. So, you need to be aware of all of these factors.

My personal comfort zone (based in part by where I live) is 40 to 50 max. (Yes, I've been able to find places in Western PA open enough to even see 40 yards during archery season. Took a doe a few years back that never knew what hit her. :yes: )

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#5 mudduck

mudduck

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:Interested in almost everything, unless it bores me, then I'm not interested anymore

Posted 08 February 2007 - 08:36 PM

It's no secret, and I have mentioned it before in old posts, I used to practice out to 120yds. Not to shoot animals at that distance, but rather, to build strenght and technique so that 40 and under shots were routine. On a calm day, and I really stress CALM, 9inch groups at 100yds are possible, but again, only under ideal conditions, and absolutely, positively, knowing the exact yardage. Claims of consistant accuracy at those ranges in all conditions are ridiculous. If one feels compelled to shoot deer at ranges of 100yds or more, then shoot that sucker with a gun and not risk a lousy hit with a weapon that was not intended for that type of hunting. Just my .02 cents worth.

#6 Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 08:03 AM

C'mon Huck! Where are you? This is your favorite subject!

:popcorn:
"The Lord bless and keep you. The Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you. The Lord turn His face toward you and give you peace." Num 6:24-26

#7 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 10:31 AM

When I mentioned it is edited and you can see it was and the title says "first kill with X force (bow)" then to me is it pure advertising and is it real? And not staged? I question when you here someone say 103 -103 yards and a pause and cutaway to Pete drawing back his bow and another cutaway to taking a shot. It's advertising and nothing more. Most TV shows are reenactments unless you see the hunter shoot and the animal hit in the same frame. Real or not it's meant to sell a product(s). This little video looks good and nothing more and the shot might have been 103 or might have been 13, this is my take of it.

I have no issue with the yardage if it truly was that. Like RL mentioned some guys practice and shoot that yardage with regularity. Personally I don?t so I wouldn?t even go there. I have watched round target archery events where the target is that far off. The better archers have no problem hitting the bulls-eye with slower bows. So why not with a bowhunting setup? :P
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#8 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 10:55 AM

A 70lb bow slinging a 465grn arrow at 280fps has more than enough juice at 100yds to get the job done on a deer. You can run the math on it yourself on the link Jeremiah posted.

So frankly, the equipment is capable.

I not gonna judge someones ethics on taking a long shot just because it's one I feel I couldn't make. That's not fair or warranted.

With the set up above. You have to deal with an arrow drop of 20ft at 100yds. That's a lot of air. To me it's more interesting to find out how he did it, than critizising him for doing it. He may have an interesting tip that will help me alot at shorter ranges.
Posted Image

#9 mudduck

mudduck

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:Interested in almost everything, unless it bores me, then I'm not interested anymore

Posted 09 February 2007 - 11:23 AM

I'm critical of the above video for a couple of things that really jumped out at me, although as Rowdy said, it may have been edited/changed. First off when he was told the range was 103yds, we were looking at a doe in the frame, so I assume the doe was used to range the distance{at least according to what the video leads us to believe}. When the buck walks in, he sure didn't appear to be the same distance that the doe was, but I suppose its possible, however, and this is big to me anyway, the buck was walking when the shot was taken. Now, not only does one have to know the yardage exactly, but one also must throw into the equation about how far to LEAD the deer. I really doubt that any state has limitations on how far one can attempt a shot, thats up to each individual. Of course, if the individual in the video misses or gut shoots the animal, we never get to see the video, but , in real life, if it happens to us, we have to deal with the consequences. I was also noticing the wind in the video, couldnt tell which direction it was coming from, it too, could be a factor. It looked like he was using a mechanical broadhead which most likely helped.

Edited by mudduck, 09 February 2007 - 11:38 AM.

#10 huntfromthesoul

huntfromthesoul

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 01:46 PM

I'd like to know the whole story on the vid. As for taking shoots that far out I guess if you feel confident and you can get good penitration then go for it.
I choose to live simple so those who can't can simply live

#11 7pointbuck

7pointbuck

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  • Interests:bowhunting, muzzleloading, riding atvs, fishing, going to church, and my family and friends!

Posted 17 February 2007 - 10:23 PM

well,personally goes against the art of bowhunting and what it is all about in my opinion.sure he fortunately killed the deer, but really set himself up for a multitude of things that could have gone wrong...resulting in a wounded and suffering animal.a shot like that is nothing to brag about in my .02

Bill

Edited by 7pointbuck, 17 February 2007 - 10:43 PM.

"My Freezer is a wildlife preserve!!!"

#12 bonecollector34

bonecollector34

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 12:43 PM

It can be done, but like what was mentioned---does anyone wanna hear about it?

Bowhunting is about stealth, outsmarting your quarry and the rich heritage and art of bowhunting.

I would be alot more intrested in hearing about someone placing a world class stalk, coupled with alittle luck and taking a Cape Buffalo at 6 yards then someone flinging an arrow clear out there in rifle range...

Yes, again, it can be done but does it hurt the sport of ethical bowhunting in the longe run?

$.02

Fatty

Edited by bonecollector34, 18 February 2007 - 12:45 PM.

Martyupdatedsignature2-1.jpg
Prostaff.jpg

#13 huntfromthesoul

huntfromthesoul

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 04:35 PM

Gotta agree with the last couple posts. I guess you could accuse me of riding the fence on this one.
I choose to live simple so those who can't can simply live

#14 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 04:21 PM

My son Jason is consistantly dead on accurate at 50 to 60 yards shooting a 80lb Mathews. I'd say a lot depends on how good you are and if your bow slings your arrows with enough oomph to get good penetration at long ranges. As good as Jason is, at longer ranges, almost all of his shots are still taken at under 40 yards. I'd think longer bow shots would be like longer rifle shots. A lot would depend on the terrain you hunt. Heck, in these parts you're lucky to even see a deer at more than 30 yards. :lol: We do hunt food plots some, where you can see a long ways, but even then we let the deer get up close and personal before taking a shot. In my mind, no matter where you hunt, an up close and personal shot will always be more satisfying. My ancestors use to have a saying. It took more courage and skill to fight an enemy up close and personal than to kill one at a long distance with a rifle. As they would say," Anyone could do that so what was there to be proud of? " I'd say that applies pretty well here too. The differance being a good shot on one hand, but a better hunter on the other. :yes:

Edited by Spirithawk, 28 February 2007 - 04:24 PM.

#15 nontypical3

nontypical3

Moving Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 10:31 AM

If one feels compelled to shoot deer at ranges of 100yds or more, then shoot that sucker with a gun and not risk a lousy hit with a weapon that was not intended for that type of hunting. Just my .02 cents worth.

Thats what I was thinking. IMO I think that there is just to much room for error with a bow at that distance (for me anyway)

I like to see what I'm going to be eatn' :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users