• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 06:25 PM

Wisconsin finally broke the frozen tundra cycle and we had a warm day today. It got up to 10 above. So I grabbed my White Rifle, shooting sticks, and range box and headed outside. What a shock, while the temps were a little warmer, the wind was out of the north off Lake Superior and it was terrible outside. But I was determined to shoot.

Posted Image

I wanted to see how KIK 3f black powder worked in the rifle. That would be the top left bulls eye. The first shot was low, but the rest were not bad considering I was at 50 yards off a shooting stick and shivering...

I then changed powders to Swiss 3f (top right bulls eye) and shot six more rounds. By now the action on the rifle was STIFF. I have to break the rifle down, swab the barrel with pure 91% isopropyl alcohol and wipe it all down. I then changed powders to Triple Se7en 3f.

I shot at the center target with the Triple Se7en 3f. The first shot out of the swabbed barrel was a dead center bull. Then with out any swabbing I just kept firing as fast as I could load and shoot. I think I shot eight or nine times.

I then changed over to Triple Se7en 2f powder and upped the powder charge to 85 grains, just to push things a bit. I only fired four rounds and the action was getting stiff and fowled up again, so I decided to change rifles.

I then got out a renegade and shot about ten shots with simple KIK 3f and a round ball. I wanted to test a cleaning experiment and see if I could duplicate it. But was not able to. The roundball I was shooting at a stump way back in the woods. I am determined to cut the thing in half one of these days.

The cleaning experiment I wanted to duplicate is.. people claim if you clean with the soap and water in a traditional rifle, and pour boiling water down the barrel to rinse it, it causes flash rusting. I told them I never had that problem, but was determined to duplicate their results. I was not able to. I cleaned the Renegade as normal, poured boiling water down it. A couple patches to dry it, and swabbed the bore with Birchwood Casey Sheath, and never saw a hint of flash rust. Looks like I am doomed to shoot some more and try all over again. :o)
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#2 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 06:58 PM

Looks like you shivered them right in there. As usual that is some good shooting. It actually warmed up here into the 20s. But a carpet removal project had precedence over any thought of shooting today. I must get out and try the new Vpeep rear sight from RMC Sports that I recently put on my RMC accusporter.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#3 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 07:16 PM

I have looked at that peep a lot. I will be interested in your observations of it. Also try sighting that thing sometime in low light and see how well it shows in shadows. I have a rifle that I think would do real well with something like that.

As for something more important then shooting.. would painting the family room fit that? Guess I better get to that one of these COLD days.. :lol:
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#4 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 10:39 PM

Well got that old carpet out and the underlayment out and all the staples pulled so as soon as I get that mess off the back porch that job is done. I sat down to just see what the weather was to be tomorrow and it looks like winter is not giving up on central PA supposed to snow some more and winds about 20 mph and temps in the teens and low 20s. But then again I have to get all dressed up to get rid of the carpet so I may take a shot or two or three. Maybe I could just take the rifle out already loaded then bring it back in to reload it. I think I just talked myself into a shot or two, snow depending.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#5 REDGREEN

REDGREEN

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,461 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing,wood carving, waking up with a pulse

Posted 09 February 2007 - 09:23 AM

:blink: Looks like you have the shiver down to a science there. Question is, when it gets real warm out there, can you duplicate that shiver? Joking aside, that isn't bad. Looks like minute of squirrel to me. :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users