18 replies to this topic

#1 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 05:30 PM

First off ... no the barrel did not blow. So get that out of your mind.. :lol:

I took out my .54 caliber CVA Mountain Stalker today. I was shooting roundball at 50 yards with some excellent results/accuracy. I was only shooting 70 grains of Swiss 3f powder. I then tried some powerbelts but with terrible results. As I was swabbing the barrel clean of fowling to try some sabots next, I noticed the lock did not look right. The front part of the lock plate was sticking out too far from the composite stock. So I checked it. Sure enough, the the lock was loose. This is a simple fix of course, you simply tighten the lock bolt that runs through the rifle into the lock plate. But, when I tried to tighten the lock bolt, I noticed it would not tighten for some reason.

I then pulled the lock off and checked the back side. I suspected the lock bolt was broken. Well to my surprise, on the back side of the lock where the bolt threads into the lock/nut itself, it had split just a small amount. But enough so that the bolt simply turned in there with out engaging the threads.

So now we will get to see what kind of customer service BPI/CVA has monday when I call them. I think it will need a new lock, as the nut/part that attached to the bolt is held there with a simple weld of sorts. I sure hope they have parts around. This is a good rifle and I am not ready to give it up...

Time will tell. :(

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#2 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 06:07 PM

What a bummer bro. I sure hope you can get it fixed ok.

#3 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 11:24 AM

Posted on Feb 11 2007, 06:30 PM
  First off ... no the barrel did not blow. So get that out of your mind.. 

I took out my .54 caliber CVA Mountain Stalker today

How old is the gun cayugad? I wonder what kind of warranty comes with it.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#4 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 12:16 PM

Good luck on getting that rifle back functional again. Man we cannot have one of the mares or stallions in the stable out of action. I have never heard of a problem such as you describe. Check to see the lock is seated well because maybe it was in a little bind.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#5 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 01:41 PM

Posted on Feb 11 2007, 06:30 PM
? First off ... no the barrel did not blow. So get that out of your mind..?

I took out my .54 caliber CVA Mountain Stalker today

How old is the gun cayugad? I wonder what kind of warranty comes with it.

The rifle is only three years old approximately. I've shot it maybe a hundred times is all. It is actually a real good shooter for being a $39.95 rifle. I've shot three deer with it so far and the furthest one had managed to run off was about 25 yards. .54 caliber roundballs are good loads.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#6 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 02:41 PM

Good luck on getting that rifle back functional again. Man we cannot have one of the mares or stallions in the stable out of action. I have never heard of a problem such as you describe. Check to see the lock is seated well because maybe it was in a little bind.

Just an update: Called CVA and talked to Eric. A very nice and helpful person. I explained the problem and he advised to mail them the lock so they could take a look at it. It is on its way out tonight in the US mail. Now we wait.

#7 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 02:45 PM

So far so good. Just keep that wounded rifle away from the rest of the stable in case it is infectious.

#8 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 06:27 PM

So far so good.  Just keep that wounded rifle away from the rest of the stable in case it is infectious.

I thought I heard them having a "Get Well Party" last night for it after I went to bed. Had to tell them no shooting in the house... :lol: :lol: :lol:

I guess it will need to take a vacation for now. Good thing I have a couple more to shoot with. I almost got a new black powder shotgun, but just could not talk myself into it. It was a Knight TK2000 NIB and the price was right, but then I sat and thought about how much I would actually shoot it, and talked myself out of it. I am more looking towards something custom, flint, large bore.... :lol:

#9 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 09:57 PM

I have heard those Knight TK 2000s shoot really well even outperforms a modern turkey gun with a tighter pattern. Of coursse me being bitten very severly with the turkey bug I have thought a time or two about that shotgun.

Oooh a custom rifle huh. Now that is something else.

#10 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 01:24 PM

Decisions, decisions! Gee which to buy :huh: That's a tough one bud. i'd love to have either one. :lol:

#11 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 08:39 PM

I personally know one person that hunts turkey with his Knight TK2000 and he swears by it. He's a big time turkey hunter. You know, the kind that would hunt turkey over deer or anything else. He lives for it. He bought the Knight simply because he "read" you got extended range with them over a modern shotgun.

He mounted a RED DOT on his, and swears he took a bird at 41 yards and it never twitched a feather after he shot. Although like I said, I know him personally and he is known to stretch a good story. But he does shoot a lot of turkey.

I hunt with the .62 caliber and that is a real challenge. I load the 20 gauge plastic wads and 100 grains of #5 and it will smear a coffee can at 25 yards big time. It is a Green Mountain Barrel mounted in a Renegade stock.

#12 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 01:25 PM

Well today the UPS man pulled in and I was of course on the shooting range. He said he had a small package this time. It was the lock to my Mountain Stalker.

I finished with that rifle and then put the Mountain Staker together. This lock fit perfect. All they did was sent me a brand new lock. The trigger pull on this one is actually a little better then the one I sent off, so I am more then happy.

So I will give that a range day maybe tomorrow....

I just wanted you all to know how well BPI/CVA came through with customer service. A+ people. Thanks much CVA.

#13 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 02:03 PM

:clap: Thanks for sharing that great news cayugad - that's great news and shows american made stands for something. :bigthumb: :bigthumb:
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#14 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 05:56 PM

Rowdy I agree.. all to often lots of rifles get a bad rap for one reason or another. Also many brag on customer service. Well I have had to use CVA/BPI customer service now five times and have never been charged a cent. This new lock was a simple fix on their part. The nice thing is there is a new hammer on it and all the lock guts as well. So since the barrel shines as nice as the day I bought the thing, I technically have a new rifle again. I like new rifles... :D

#15 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 12:39 PM

I still cannot bring myself to own a CVA. I borrowed a CVA flintlock a bunch of years ago and after even replacing parts I just could not get it to go off. My son-in-law has had a whole litany of problems with several brand new CVAs. One of those rifles should never have left the factory.

Very happy for you that you are getting such good service from them.

Edited by PA RIDGE RUNNER, 15 March 2007 - 12:41 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users