• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 7pointbuck

7pointbuck

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  • Interests:bowhunting, muzzleloading, riding atvs, fishing, going to church, and my family and friends!

Posted 06 April 2006 - 06:57 PM

there are alot of the old autoloaders and pumps that just shoot the 2 and 3/4 loads. do you feel these are adequate out to 30 yards, i know it all depends on your pattern from your particular weapon. i have never shot under a 3 inch, but i was just curious if there were anyone left who hunted with these loads. .

Bill
"My Freezer is a wildlife preserve!!!"

#2 WayneBizzle

WayneBizzle

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 08:23 PM

Sorry 7point, all I've ever shot are the 3".
Posted Image

#3 J Gabel

J Gabel

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 09:25 PM

Yep, I still shot em.
Nice pattern out to 35 with mine.

#4 RicF

RicF

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 09:47 PM

7pointbuck
I switched to Hevishot 3 in #5 or 6's.
They are outstanding and pattern just great.
PATIENCE - Kills Turkeys !!

Ric's Hunting Page

Posted Image

#5 Fred

Fred

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • Interests:Trucks and driving goat trails, Hunting, Fishing. Prospecting/gold panning

Posted 09 April 2006 - 12:13 AM

I will be useing them this spring for Turkey and I should imagine that Ex will borrow some of them from me. Fred
Quondo Omni Flunkus Moritati

#6 WayneBizzle

WayneBizzle

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 07:47 AM

Wishing you and ex the best of luck Fred. Go get 'em.
Posted Image

#7 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 10:48 AM

7point bunches of turkeys have been shot with 2 3/4 inch shotgun shells. When you really look at it the 2 3/4, 3, and 3 1/2 inchers all shoot pretty much the same speed. the only real difference is the amount of shot in each. A 2 3/4 of course has the least number of pellets but can be made to shoot a good tight pattern. If we admit it most of our turkeys could have been killed just as easily with a 2 3/4 incher as a 3 or 3 1/2.

Why do I use a 3 inch mag then. Confidence. I feel much more confident shooting at 35 to 40 yds with my 3 incher than I did with my 2 3/4. Of course most turkeys are shot at 20 to 30 yds anyway and at that range my 3 incher must be aimed because of the extremely tight pattern.

No matter what the chamber will accept anyone that hunts turkeys should have a setup expressly for that bird with as tight a pattern we can get, that is the confidence factor.

Edited by PA RIDGE RUNNER, 09 April 2006 - 10:50 AM.

If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#8 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 03:19 PM

I'm gonna be perfectly honest here.

As long as I can shoot the 3 1/2" I will not go back to 2 3/4" shells for Turkeys.

It's true you can choke 2 3/4" shells to pattern as tight, and the pellets got plenty of oomph but the number of pellets just isn't there. Only pellets that penetrate gord or spine drop the bird. Everything else is a flesh wound.

With a really tight patterning gun it's flat hard to hit the birds closer than 35yds. You can do it but better practice some. Blast some pattern targets at 25, 30 and 35yds. Only count the pellets that hit gord and spine (these are the only ones that really count).

In general where the neck joins the body is the best aiming point but when the bird gets real close (inside 15yds) aim just above the beard in the body. That gobbler noggin and neck moves way too much to aim at when he's at point blank range. You can either believe me or find out the hard way ;)
Posted Image

#9 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 05:14 PM

In my case, I've killed more turkeys with the 2 3/4" but I like the 3 1/2' shells just fine. This season though, due to health probs, I'll go with the 2 3/4" because they kick less. Still debating the issue of whether I am going to use a 20 ga. or a 12. I'll probably go with the 20 because it's lighter to carry.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users