Photo

Tim Hardaway

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you think Tim Hardaway should be punished for his non-PC comments regarding Gays? (23 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you think Tim Hardaway should be punished for his non-PC comments regarding Gays?

1. Yes (2 votes [10.00%])

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

2. No (18 votes [90.00%])

Percentage of vote: 90.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Charles

Charles

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 09:27 AM

Just wanted to know what you all thought about the Tim Hardaway/G@y issue and what should be done to people willing to speakout against the G@y movement.

I do think he was wrong to say he 'Hated' them but not wrong to say it was a bad thing.

Edited by Charles, 16 February 2007 - 09:28 AM.

5-November-2008 - Today is the first day of the down fall of American as we know it.

#2 Fossil

Fossil

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts
  • Interests:Hunting,fishing and rockhounding..............

Posted 16 February 2007 - 09:45 AM

(ha ha) his choice :yes: .........
Posted Image

God,family and friends-What else is there..................

#3 bonecollector34

bonecollector34

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 10:13 AM

To each their own, as long as he isn't directly physically hurting anyone. He has freedom of speech as well.

Fatty

Martyupdatedsignature2-1.jpg
Prostaff.jpg

#4 mudduck

mudduck

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:Interested in almost everything, unless it bores me, then I'm not interested anymore

Posted 16 February 2007 - 10:34 AM

http://www.790theticket.com/audioplayer.ph...Stugotz&id=2087 Professional Athletes would be one of the last groups {as a whole} whom I would expect to jump up on a soap box and lecture us on the subject of morality, case in point- Wilt Chamberlain and his 20,000 conquests. Tim was hired by the NBA to be in Vegas on their behalf, The decision to remove him for expressing opinions which may be contrary to the leagues views are up to them.

#5 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 10:57 AM

Thanks Jeff for the audio! I hadn't heard it and wasn't even aware of it. You make a great point about the source. And I'm like Marty - if no harm no problem and he has his right to express his opinion. ^_^
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#6 huntfromthesoul

huntfromthesoul

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 11:01 AM

He has the right to express his opinions just as gays have the right to express theirs.
I choose to live simple so those who can't can simply live

#7 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 12:40 PM

God says it is ok to hate the sin but to love the sinner.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#8 Ironranger

Ironranger

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 03:12 PM

Jeff, you hit the nail on the head there!! They sure don't look within themselves when it comes to this sort of thing. The media idolizes these pro athletes and then when one of them actually chooses to have an opinion they tear them a new ______ and spit them out to the media dogs. Yea, look at Wilt or Magic Johnson or many other pro's who have faltered in one way or another. They're people and people make mistakes but boy, when they do, the media turns on them with a vengeance. I agree that "Saying he hated them" probably wasn't the brightest thing to say but I guess maybe freedom of speech really isn't as alive in this country as some have told us. That is unless your speech fall in line with what the media believes...

#9 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 04:56 PM

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=7455105 NPR just had interesting followup to this story. Hardaway had to make his apologize to his teammate. He also has received alot of stern discussiion from sponsors and fans over his interview.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#10 Chrud

Chrud

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 514 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors, racing and sports.

Posted 17 February 2007 - 07:33 AM

I think it is bullcrap that he is being banned because of his beliefs/opinions.

#11 teetee_in_WV

teetee_in_WV

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 08:07 AM

Seems the g@ys are the only ones allowed to have freedom of speach. I don't know about you guys, but I am tired of walking on eggshells trying to be politically correct.

Steve

#12 mudduck

mudduck

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:Interested in almost everything, unless it bores me, then I'm not interested anymore

Posted 17 February 2007 - 09:37 AM

I'm sorry, I guess I thought the question was about whether or not the NBA was justified in removing him as their spokesman for his comments. If you owned a corporation, and hired a spokesman, and the spokesman, being honest, said publicly that he hated Blacks, Jews, and Retards, would you keep him as a spokesman? He was just being honest and practicing his "free speech". Remember Al Campanis? Worked for the Dodger organization? Said he didn't think Blacks had the skills to work in the "Front Office". Rememember Cindy Sheehan, camped out in a ditch near the Presidents Ranch? Spoke out against the war? Natalie Maines, Dixie Chicks, Spoke out against the Prez while in Britain? John Rocker, Atlanta Braves. Freedom of speech? Howard Cosell, Jimmy the Greek. Again, I thought the question was about whether or not the NBA was justified in their actions and I voted yes, as ANY other corporation would do. I had no idea that this thread was intended to justify anyones homophobic beliefs. P.S. the original post was edited after I made my original comment

#13 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 10:58 AM

I have to agree with Jeff. Everyone has a right to free speech but when you take a job as a spokesman for a company, or you represent a company in any way, then the image that that company exspects you to put forth comes first and if you decide you don't agree with them then it's time to find a new job that either agrees with you or simply doesn't care. That is what upsets me with so many athletes today that show such poor sportsmanship and or get involved with drugs, ect. They don't just represent themselves, they don't even just represent their teams, they represent the whole sport. Remember, these are people that our children look up to as role models.

Edited by Spirithawk, 17 February 2007 - 11:31 AM.

#14 Charles

Charles

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 11:26 AM

Jeff, you answered the question I posed. However, the issue I was pointing out is the one that you made and Paul modified. Saying harsh words will get you in trouble, as we are to Love the sinner and Hate the sin. So, answering Yes to the question as you felt the Corporation was justified is okay.

My thought here is that others like Jimmy, Howard and Al Campanis all made outlandish statements about the physical/mental capability of the races. Much different then saying you 'Hate' g@ys. Not the same to me; g@y is a choice and race is not. My wife is of color and she never thought the statement had anything to do with ethnicity. Amichi is Black. Hardaway is Black. This is not a race-based question. It was more of what can and can?t you say in this modern post Christian society without loosing everything (Tim will never get another announcer position due to this: He?s Blackballed for life, no pun intended). Yes, the words used and tone was not justified. He was stupid to be so harsh. Many others in the NBA and other professional sports feel this way. I wouldn?t want to have a guy looking at me in the shower everyday with lust in their heart if I were one of them.

So, was the NBA justified in doing what they did, Yes. It?s their company and they get to choose who represents them in public. However, if they?re going to send Tim home they should do the same to Bill Walton. He?s said stupid things about other people all the time; he just didn?t do on a slow news day like Timmy did.

Jeff, I edited the post to make it more politically correct so the Mod?s wouldn?t delete it.
5-November-2008 - Today is the first day of the down fall of American as we know it.

#15 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 01:44 PM

:yahoo: I'll shout it from the mountian tops!
Pink Tight wearing/Straight arrow shooting/ Flag waving/Meat eatin'- Hunters are welcome at our camp in the Hills of Northcentral PA. .... :nahnah: ...oops. I forgot PA Ridgerunner is the spokesman this year.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users