31 replies to this topic

#1 Eric

Eric

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 26 March 2005 - 11:52 AM

Ok all, I just wondering who all out there reloads.

My Dad and I reload everything we shoot centrefire wise.

We reload the following for ourselves.

222 Rem

219 Donaldson.

243 Win.

25 Super.

270 Win.

7mm Custom Mag"s

30-06.

O and I almost forgot 38-40 Win and 32-20 Win.

38 Special and 41mag handguns.

I know I forgot some but that is all I can remember. :rolleyes: :lol:

Edited by Eric, 03 April 2005 - 08:32 PM.

AKA PA Spike King
Casters Hunting Club
Real Men Shoot Flintlocks
International Harvester Tractors
2008 Realtree Turkey Contest Team Champs!

#2 Whistle Pig

Whistle Pig

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 26 March 2005 - 08:50 PM

I reload a few times when I target shoot, I seldon have to reload when I shoot at game with a rifle. :P :whistle: :shifty: :lol: :hunter: :boone:

Acually, got all the stuff to do it, just need to get back into it. :rolleyes:

Edited by Whistle Pig, 26 March 2005 - 08:52 PM.

Posted Image

#3 Eric

Eric

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 27 March 2005 - 09:56 AM

:rofl: :rofl: At you WP
AKA PA Spike King
Casters Hunting Club

#4 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 27 March 2005 - 12:50 PM

I've never even considered reloading. I don't shoot often enough for the money saving aspect to really pan out. Plus, I fully trust a few brands of factory ammo out there. So, this forum will definitely need to be moderated by someone else. :rofl:

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#5 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 28 March 2005 - 09:15 PM

I remember just after my father-in-law gave me a 222 rem as a present many years ago he said he had the dies for it too. I replied that would be nice but I did not reload as I did not have the equipment. The very next time we went to visit he had a whole box of reloading supplies sitting there for me. I have reloaded ever since.
I have boiled down the reasons to reload to 4:
1. Economy You can shoot for about 40 to 60% of the cost of factory ammo. NOTE: You do not save any money at all though but you do get to shoot about twice as many shots as with using factory ammo.
2. Accuracy. Years ago factory ammo was not what it is today. Even today though factory ammo must be sized to fit every chamber made. Reloaded ammo can be much more accurately sized to fit your own personal chamber which gives much greater accuracy potential. You also have a better selection of bullet weights and shapes to try in your gun. You can use up to 15 different powder types and within standards a bunch of different amounts of powder. You also can experiment with bullet seating depth. All of these have a bearing on accuracy potential
3. Necessity. If you have a wildcat rifle/cartridge you must reload to shoot as the casings must be formed from another cartridge case and just can't be bought over the counter.
4. Fun. I consider it very interesting and fun to be able to play around with loads and bullets and seating depth to gain that accuracy not achievable with factory ammo.
Reloading is not for everyone. To be an effective reloader you must be willing to pay a lot of attention to very small detail, play within the rules, and think inside the box so to speak.

Edited by PA RIDGE RUNNER, 03 April 2005 - 06:31 PM.

If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#6 Pittsburghunter

Pittsburghunter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 03 April 2005 - 04:14 PM

I don't reload much only every .308, 22-250, 44mag, .380ACP and M-1 carbine shot I shoot. :D

#7 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 03 April 2005 - 05:04 PM

I use to do reloading, its been years since I have, I had/have a complete set up, but have gotten away from shooting firearms like I use to. Time is spent with the bow now.
All of my stuff has found a temp home down on the front range, don't know if its come out of the box or not yet ;)
Once the garage is done, I may be whistling for it to come home and get it all set up again. It sure was fun, playing with diffrent loads, diffrent powders, working on building a shell that would fit your rifle perfectly. Amazing how an 1/8 th of an inch in neck depth can change the preformance of a gun, or even changing brands of primers.

Well this summer will be busying getting the garage and shop up, once that happens, I'll have room to get back into it again :)
now just need the time LOL.
maybe if I bought that 10.00 goat, to eat the grass I wouldn't have to mow?
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#8 ricfirefighter

ricfirefighter

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 03 April 2005 - 07:18 PM

im lookin at starting to reload friend does it so i just have him do it for me right now

#9 Larry $

Larry $

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 04:14 PM

:whistle: Reloading stuff? What reloading stuff? I don't know what you're talking about... :ermm: Seriously Bruce, the answer is "no", your reloading stuff is still in the same box it arrived here in. Yeah, yeah, I know... I got all the books too. It's just that without personal instruction it's all a bit intimidating.

I have a question. Now that we have a trap thrower and are burning up 12 guage like it's going out of style, can one reload 12ga and maintain some sort of consistency for fun clays? 25 years ago my twin brother did some shotgun reloading and always seemed to have trouble with consistency. Is there enough savings to make it worth it? You can find target shells for around 15 cents apiece around here.
Elk: it's what's for dinner!

#10 Eric

Eric

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 04:37 PM

Sir Larry, PA RR and I have never reloaded shotgun shells, so I'm sorry
I can't help you there. :no:

But I have a friend that used to shoot trap/skeet and I asked him
if it was really worth reloading and he told me that it was worth it at
that time but like you said shells are cheep anymore.

My friend said that it was better to invest $ in a great gun.

(But that was just his opinion) :yes:
AKA PA Spike King
Casters Hunting Club

#11 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 07 April 2005 - 11:17 PM

Sir Larry: The reloading stuff in your spare room, is what I have kept.

I had all the stuff for reloading shot shells, and after fiddling with it and either not getting the crimps tight or one thing or another ( it was a single stage reloader ) I sold the whole set up and stick with the factory loads.

Alot of people do it, for the joy of reloading ( and that it is ) others do it for building Hot Loads. I think it was Bret who shared the story of the guy who was goose hunting and ran out of shells, The guy in the blind with him said here use some of mine and the next shot blew apart his shot gun.
The guy had loaded some really hot loads and apparently to hot for his buddies gun.

Rifle and hand gun reloads, I did it for accuracy. So many things you can do to tune in a shell for a specific gun. Shot guns.... I'd stick with buying the Winchester trap loads :) MPO for what its worth.
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#12 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 01:38 PM

When I was somewhere around 15 yrs old, my dad, an uncle and a cousin went together and bought shotshell reloading equipment.

As I recall that was when the plastic shotshells first came out. Back then we loaded mostly paper hulls without shotcups just wads. Of course that is the way most of the paper shells were factory loaded too. They worked pretty well in the single shot guns and even the pumps but dad had just bought a semi auto and they would fit if tried immediately after reloading them but the next day and thereafter they would be too tight to work in the gun.

As I recall our biggest problem was to get the reloads to remain closed over time. A significant percentage after a week or two would start to open back up and some to a point where the pellets would be lost. After trying many things we just gave up on shotshell reloads completely.

#13 Larry $

Larry $

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 02:47 PM

OK, so I'll stick to factory shotgun loads.

Bruce, I am willing to bet that I will do more reloading with your stuff once it is comfortably ensconced in your nice, new, heated garage than in the room where I am storing it now. That is to say: 0 + anything is still more than 0 :rolleyes: I truly do want to start handloading for my .45 and 7mm. Just can't seem to take the time to set it all up and just do it. Plus we got the $$$ and the permit to start the next phase of construction on the new building where your reloading stuff is and so it's going to have to get moved pretty quick here anyway. Perfect timing, eh?
Elk: it's what's for dinner!

#14 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 05:08 PM

LOL yep sounds like it.

Well I have plans for the ( boys room ) as the wife is calling it.

shop area for all the project and toys.
need a bow press,
but all the wood working, tree skinning, antler projects, knife building, and reloading areas :) will have a place to go.

all we need now is a couch, couple of chairs, pool table and mini fridge and we'll be set.

( feed from the dish is already planned ) might be a little 13 inch tv, but hey its something.

I've waited 43 years for a shop like this :) can't wait till they break ground.
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#15 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 06:54 PM

Just a word or two or three. Really a suggestion. While you are planning think about locating your reloading setup as far from the woodworking area as possible. I finally moved mine to another part of the basement from my shop. It gets much less dust where it is now than from where it was in my shop. Think of plenty of lights in all areas too. You know you are not getting any younger and the more light the better. Flourescent shop lights are cheap. I have 2 four footers over my reloading bench end to end.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users