• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 11:43 AM

Jason I took on a quest two years ago. That quest was to hunt and kill an individual tom that was nearly unapproachable. I hunted him from The last weekend of April until the 12th of May. During that time I was busted by hens and jakes nearly every morning before I even got anywhere near his roost. I recall one morning arriving in the dark, blowing up my inflatable decoys and feeling good about the setup. Just as I placed the last decoy I heard Putt, Putt, Putt right over my head. Off it flew right to the tom. Talk about frustration. I did finally get him but by the time I got him I felt he was a real general with a whole troop of lieutenants placed all around. I did finally get close (about 120 yds) and looked all around and no other turkeys. But when I gave a few tree calls down flew an attack hen that nearly landed in my lap. When she flew past me I felt the wind off her wings. She finally flew to the tom but I sat there and about an hour and half later I got the general to gobble. I finally had my chance to kill him and did so but could just as easily let him go for more fun. Man I feel your pain and frustration and am ready to share your satisfaction of finally putting that smart old bird on the ground. Go git em.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#17 Shel

Shel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 09:20 AM

This is my first year on turkeys - just got a Eastman carbon venture blind with safari system - kind of a gillie suit for a tent. It sets up quick, but is a little noisey. I am getting pretty worked up and ready for season. Dart practice at the local range has me worried - small vitals on those birds if the system vital markings are even close. My blind has shoot thru windows in addition to black out magnetic windows. Will the screen deflect arrows much? I just got the blind yesterday and haven't had a chance to practice from it yet. Shel. :D

#18 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 09:38 AM

Shel welcome! :yes:

The blind shoot thru windows with turkey you really don't need them and leave the windows open. With other game like deer you'll need those shot thru screens. Turkey will see movement in a blind. The black out used inside will make light colors like your face and hands stand out. So you have to wear total black clothing with gloves and face covering to blend into the black background of the blind.

The easton blind Jeremiah has hunted out of and they look plenty large enough to be comfortable drawing a bow.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#19 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 10:10 AM

This is my first year on turkeys - just got a Eastman carbon venture blind with safari system - kind of a gillie suit for a tent. It sets up quick, but is a little noisey. I am getting pretty worked up and ready for season. Dart practice at the local range has me worried - small vitals on those birds if the system vital markings are even close. My blind has shoot thru windows in addition to black out magnetic windows. Will the screen deflect arrows much? I just got the blind yesterday and haven't had a chance to practice from it yet. Shel. :D

The shoot thru windows work fine for FIXED broadheads. For mechanicals they are a DISASTER. If a mechanical broadhead opens in flight it's liable to go anywhere EXCEPT where you aimed it. If mechanical heads have one real achilles heel this is it. A fixed head arrow flight is not disrupted nearly as dramatically by a leaf or blade of grass. From personal experience mechanical heads go nuts when they encounter even the slightest resistence.

That being said, you are absolutely correct the vital region on a turkey is very small. You really want to clip spine with an arrow if at all possible to anchor the bird.

In addition to harvesting alot of wild turkeys, I've also slaughtered over 50 domestic turkeys. I did this assisting the Vet school and Pharmacy school in college. We tried several different methods to dispatch the birds. I can assure you a turkey with a punctured heart and lungs can remain mobile for as long as 15minutes. Their anatomy is such that very little blood comes out of the animal. This makes blood trailing one almost impossible. The ONLY thing that anchors these birds is severing the spine or brain.

For that reason, I suggest for turkeys with a bow, take out the blind screens and shoot them with the largest cutting diameter mechanical you can get your hands on. You want to cut that spine and the larger the cutting diameter the better.

Alot of press buzz is out about the "Gobbler Guillotine". I'm not impressed. You have to practice with the heads alot to get the accuracy you need to pull off those shots. Those heads don't lend themselves well to practice. They aren't just fragile (which apparently they are) they'll turn a target into dust in no time. To make it worse you need arrows at least 3inches longer to accomodate the heads. Bottomline if you're determined to use those heads you need new arrows, resight the bow and retune it. No thanks.

IMO, a blind is absolutely an essential tool for bowhunting gobblers. The extra movement required to draw the bow is hidden best in a blind. Most times, you also can afford to take a last minute ranging of the animal before you launch the arrow.

Good luck to you!
Posted Image

#20 RicF

RicF

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 06:13 PM

I started using a blind about 3 or 4 years ago and IMHO that is the only way that I want to hunt them.
I like to hunt turkey in green fields on rainy or drizzly days. In a blind you are dry, warm and invisable to these turkey. With the new chair blind now available from ameristep the ease of portability is amazing.
I don't have one just because I have several other kind that I use.
Try using a blind and I bet you will never go without one..
Ricf
PATIENCE - Kills Turkeys !!

Ric's Hunting Page

Posted Image

#21 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 31 March 2007 - 07:40 PM

I pretty much hunt turkey exclusively from a pop-up blind now. This is not just because I mostly bow hunt either. I've seen and killed more birds in the past few years using a blind than I ever did in all my years of sitting on the ground at the base of a tree or running and gunning. I never would have believed just how often turkey will eventually come to your location if you just wait! I've always been a more patient hunter than aggressive when it came to turkey. But, staying in one place the entire morning was never my thing if I wasn't at least hearing turkey. Now I just park it... And why wouldn't I? I sit in a lawn chair, take along snacks, and it's almost a guarantee you WILL at least see turkey every time out provided the area holds birds! I believe a big reason is movement. No matter how still you think you are you end up moving quite a lot when sitting and waiting. (Have a buddy sit behind you with a camcorder sometime. You'll be amazed at how often you scratch your nose or at just how much your hand movement shows when you call etc.)

What else can I say? Blinds: Sit in comfort and kill/see more turkey than you ever did before.

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#22 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 08:01 AM

Jere I totally agree with you. Turkeys and other game excluding deer will walk right up to a blind.

I have to find some land this year that has some birds on it. I have a double Bull T5 and it is so easy to setup with lots of room to draw a bow or take a nap. ;)
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users