13 replies to this topic

#1 Whitetiger

Whitetiger

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 09:39 PM

I can use a slate and box call just fine but I have a problem with diaphram calls. It's my gag reflex. I used to train in Hung gar kung fu in the mid 90's for 3 years. I used to compete in tournaments alot. I'd have to cut the mouth pieces I had down by half to keep from gagging. thanks to a good sense of self preservation, I never had to worry about it. but now that I'd like to expand my use of calls. I cant get past it. I want to hurl when I pop one of the reg mouth calls in that I got at walmart. (no sense spending alot on a call if Im gonna hurl in it). Anyone else here have similar issues? do you think I just have a small palate and need a smaller call? What can I do?

#2 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 10:03 PM

Scott have you tried slanting the diaphram call down toward your lower jaw keeping the back up to the roof of your mouth. You can move it a bit forward doing this. I have not had a gag problem but my dad tried one. He had full dentures and just could not get it to make a sound so he tried it without his upper teeth. You can imagine how sensitive the roof of his mouth was. He blew that thing once and the vibrations touched the sensitive roof of his mouth he gagged and the call flew all the way across the kitchen floor. My brother-in-law and I laughed till we cried. I went across the room, picked up the call and offered to my dad to try again. You can imagine what his reply was. I still laugh every time I think of that incident.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#3 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 10:00 AM

My brother-in-law has the same problem. He was determined to over come it one year. He sat on his couch, popped it in his mouth and intended just to hold it there till he got use to it. It ended up in his lap along with his lunch. :lol: He still turns green at the mention of a mouth call. :yes:

#4 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 20 February 2007 - 06:10 PM

If a call is gagging someone it is sitting too far back. If a call is buzzing someone's tongue it is sitting too far forward. Begin by bringing the call as far forward as you can while keeping it usable and not buzzing your tongue or the roof of your mouth. My calls, for example, do not sit way up in the "hollow" of the roof of my mouth. They actually sit more forward and the front edge is facing a bit downward because that is the slope of my mouth in that area. If this still does not work, try trimming the tape on your call. When mouth calls first came out, they didn't even have tape on them. It was only later added to soften the edges of the metal frame and provide for a better seal of the call to the roof of your mouth. But, it is not necessarily necessary ( :blink: :lol: ).

If these efforts fail then look into calls designed for small palettes. Several companies have been making them for a while now. The metal frames are about half the size of a typical call. (I tried them and they were too small to operate properly in my mouth. So, definitely try the above solutions before spending money on smaller calls.)

Beyond that, I can not recommend the instructional video, "The Secrets of Turkey Calling Made Easy - Volume II" by Hunter's Specialties enough. It is several years old by now and you will likely have to hunt for a copy. But, if you can find it you will have one of the most comprehensive instructional calling videos ever made (for all calls, not just mouth calls) complete with cross-section modeling of exactly where a mouth call should be placed inside your mouth. Oh, and the instructors are none other than Walter Parrott, Matt Morrett and Tom Stuckey (Legends...).

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#5 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 09:11 AM

http://hunterspec.com/updateable/files/strut1.pdf
H.S. website link to there turkey dvd/cd and videos.

Thanks guys I have had the same problem making a mouth call comfortable and placed right. It's not easy and most of the time you have to hide in the basement with doors closed to practice or out in the truck with the windows rolled up. Otherwise you kind of sound like you killing your neighbors dog! :rofl: When you're beginning to get the hang off it.

Edited by Rowdy Yates, 21 February 2007 - 09:13 AM.

"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#6 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 12:44 PM

I must be misusing a mouth call as I use my tongue to put pressure on the latex to get a sound. When I first put it in and blow it my tongue feels like it got shocked. After a couple of puffs I can take it. Eric just rolls his eyes any time I take out a mouth call. I only use it to make soft sounds when the turkeys are close otherwise I use a hand operated call which I can manage sounds that resemble a turkey.

#7 Eric

Eric

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 08:43 PM

All I can say is thank goodness I've never had a problem with mouth calls. I like Pennswoods and Quaker Boy calls the best.

Just keep practicing it will all come together.
AKA PA Spike King
Casters Hunting Club
Real Men Shoot Flintlocks
International Harvester Tractors
2008 Realtree Turkey Contest Team Champs!

#8 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 03:32 AM

I never can figure out which end of the decoy to blow into ???? :unsure: :eek:
Posted Image

#9 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 09:50 AM

I never can figure out which end of the decoy to blow into ???? :unsure: :eek:

If the decoys eyes bug out, try the other end Phil. :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#10 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 09:53 AM

:rofl: :rofl: with Phil.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#11 Shel

Shel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 09:08 AM

I drew a turkey permit this year for the first time so I have been playing with diaphrams too. No gag troubles - but this thread should help get the front to back location right. I bought a kit with 3 sizes at Gander Mountain last weekend. It is fun to play with but I suspect I will be chained to the box for a while still. Shel

#12 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 12:15 PM

Welcome to the Site Shel. If all you can make is some soft calls on the diaphram that is ok. I only use one when I need to coax a tom in those last few yards after I called him in with a good box call.

#13 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 02:28 PM

That's all I use the diaphram call for as well. Its when I have a bird in sight, that is headed towards me or the decoys, and he just needs that little push to make him commit. I make a few soft clucks and normally stop. The tom then starts his final approach you might say...
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#14 Whitetiger

Whitetiger

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 08:47 PM

thanks guys i'm working on it!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users