11 replies to this topic

#1 Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 03:36 PM

Here we go again. A Gander Mountain owner told me at the Indiana Deer and Turkey Expo yesterday that Mathews is "up for sale". Rumor is Gander Mountain is working on the details, but a done deal - Mathews sold to Gander Mountain?

I don't believe it. This guy is supposed to be "in the know", but I still don't believe it.
"The Lord bless and keep you. The Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you. The Lord turn His face toward you and give you peace." Num 6:24-26

#2 bonecollector34

bonecollector34

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 03:40 PM

Hang in there JJ, time will tell buddy!

Fat Marty

Martyupdatedsignature2-1.jpg
Prostaff.jpg

#3 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 18 February 2007 - 03:43 PM

Hmmmm GM buying Matthews??? I don't see it, all they have around here are Parker, Diamond and Bear, what about the quality of the bows manufactured? I really hope Matthews doesn't end up another "store brand" quality is shot after that.just my 2cents though
Semper Fi

#4 Whip

Whip

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • Interests:Long walks in the woods carrying heavy equpment in poor weather. I live to hunt...other than that I am a full-time PhD student in entomology.

Posted 18 February 2007 - 03:50 PM

Did I hear matthews and quality in the same sentence??? lol :huh: :lol: :rofl:
Sean Whipple
PSE staff
It's not a passion, it's an obsession. ~Mossy Oak

#5 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 10:24 AM

I could see Gander selling the Mission Archery line of bows but never the Mathews line of bows. The local Gander has no body that can cut an arrow shaft properly let alone set up bow right.

They sell an off shut brand of Bowtech right now locally and BowTech won't let them sell the true Bowtech line.

This sounds like a groundless rumor.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#6 Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 12:50 PM

Hey Jer - saw your comment on the Mathews website - funny.

Like your website too: http://www.bullseyeconcepts.com/

Since this is a protected site and "Big Bob" likely won't be in here I'll tell you who's spreading this rumor. He goes by "Big Bob" on some of the websites, is an IBA member and runs the archery department of the Gander Mountain in Castleton, Indiana (NE corner of Indianapolis). He told me his Gander Mountain was the single largest archery seller for 2006, that Mathews was "up for sale" because they were in trouble $, that the Mathews Genesis was not built by Mathews, that Matt and the boys passed on the ATA because of their money troubles, and hinted that Mathews did not donate to NASP the amount they said (i.e. same amount as necessary for the level of effort and participation at the ATA).

I don't really know Big Bob and have no idea if these allegations are true. According to administrators that have chimed in on the Mathews website, the rumor of Mathews up for sale is just that - untrue. If that part is untrue, then I doubt if any of the rest is true either.
"The Lord bless and keep you. The Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you. The Lord turn His face toward you and give you peace." Num 6:24-26

#7 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 19 February 2007 - 02:36 PM

Hey Jer - saw your comment on the Mathews website - funny.

Like your website too:  http://www.bullseyeconcepts.com/

Since this is a protected site and "Big Bob" likely won't be in here I'll tell you who's spreading this rumor.  He goes by "Big Bob" on some of the websites, is an IBA member and runs the archery department of the Gander Mountain in Castleton, Indiana (NE corner of Indianapolis).  He told me his Gander Mountain was the single largest archery seller for 2006, that Mathews was "up for sale" because they were in trouble $, that the Mathews Genesis was not built by Mathews, that Matt and the boys passed on the ATA because of their money troubles, and hinted that Mathews did not donate to NASP the amount they said (i.e. same amount as necessary for the level of effort and participation at the ATA).

I don't really know Big Bob and have no idea if these allegations are true.  According to administrators that have chimed in on the Mathews website, the rumor of Mathews up for sale is just that - untrue.  If that part is untrue, then I doubt if any of the rest is true either.

Bumblin' Bobby is a veritable fountain of mis-information.
And that is all I have to say about that...

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#8 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 19 February 2007 - 02:39 PM

Did I hear matthews and quality in the same sentence??? lol?  :huh:? :lol:? :rofl:

:talktohand: :(X

sig_admin.png

#9 Whip

Whip

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • Interests:Long walks in the woods carrying heavy equpment in poor weather. I live to hunt...other than that I am a full-time PhD student in entomology.

Posted 19 February 2007 - 02:45 PM

Hoyt my friend, that is all I have to say. I would even have to side with Huck and shoot PSE before Mathews.....level nock travel.....sure sure. :) All kidding aside, mathews makes a good bow. I would shoot the switchback.
Sean Whipple
PSE staff
It's not a passion, it's an obsession. ~Mossy Oak

#10 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 05:25 PM

Hoyt my friend, that is all I have to say.? I would even have to side with Huck and shoot PSE before Mathews.....level nock travel.....sure sure. :) All kidding aside, mathews makes a good bow.? I would shoot the switchback.

Man... I swear I run into a lot of people who didn't hear Mathews came out with the Straightline single cam over 10 years ago now. (Which actually independently tested straighter than a Cam & 1/2 on a draw board. *cough* LOL) Head over to the Mathews forum and check out their slow motion video of STS testing. (It's a pinned topic in the main forum.) As an extra bonus, we noticed it shows the dead-level nock travel quite well!

I've owned 'em all... (Sold my Trykon XL last year after 6 months of frustation... Looking to sell my Constitution as I type.) Contrary to popular belief, there are actually people who buy and shoot a boat-load of bows and actually end up preferring Mathews to any other. (They didn't need an advertisement to convince them etc.) I say with confidence that Mathews has been the best to me of any I've owned.

But, it's all good. Anyone wanna buy a Constitution? How 'bout a NiB Black Ice? Please?! :worry:

sig_admin.png

#11 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 19 February 2007 - 06:12 PM

Jere sorry i have my heart set on a Switchback XT so what if it's "last year's hot bow" it's still a 310fps straight shooting monster, and i've shot one, it was awesome, :)- no stabalizer, barely had sights thrown on it.... and i managed to hit a 3/4" green target tack...ON PURPOSE... with it at 10 yds LOL
Semper Fi

#12 Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 05:37 PM

Jer - do you know Big Bob?

Small world.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users