• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 07:57 PM

Today after I shot my CVA Staghorn Magnum which has a nickel barrel, I had some metal flakes come out of the bore while cleaning. A while back the same thing happened but I do not remember what rifle I was cleaning that time. This time, I ran some Birchwood Casey #77 on a patch down the bore and it came out with gray colored metal flakes on the patch.

The more patches I ran, the more metal looking flakes and speckles came out the barrel. I really had no idea what these flakes and speckles could be. They looked like metal flake for better words of describing them. Whether it was part of the barrel I am not sure.

Today I was shooting some powerbelts. But only shot off four of them.

Posted Image

The powerbelts actually shot real well with 90 grains of Pyrodex RS. I also shot some Speer Gold Dot 270 grain at the lower left bull. While not a real impressed group, it was the best the rifle and I could do.

I also shot some 405 grain Remington FP copper coated. I shot them with 90 grains of Pyrodex RS also. They did real well until I had to push the issue and shot a fourth, it hit with the powerbelts. Otherwise that was a real impressive group as well.

My final steps of cleaning was.. J-B bore pasted the barrel, then scrubbed it with some Butch's Bore Solvent and a brush. It then cleaned up real well after that, and all the flakes stopped showing up. I really have no idea what the metal flakes and speckles were. Any ideas?
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#2 Eric

Eric

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 08:47 PM

Cayugad sure sounds like there is a issue with the barrel. I have never heard of that. Nope.

Nice shooting though.
AKA PA Spike King
Casters Hunting Club
Real Men Shoot Flintlocks
International Harvester Tractors
2008 Realtree Turkey Contest Team Champs!

#3 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 08:58 PM

Is the barrel nickel plated inside the bore. What did the bore look like after you got it cleaned up. Could you see anything or anywhere metal flakes could have come from. Were the powerbelts you shot the coated ones or plain lead ones. I have heard the coating on some powerbelts is very thin I wonder if those flakes could have come from the bullets. If it was from the inside of the barrel you should be able to see that. Other than that I don't know what it could be.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#4 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 09:27 PM

Is the barrel nickel plated inside the bore. What did the bore look like after you got it cleaned up. Could you see anything or anywhere metal flakes could have come from. Were the powerbelts you shot the coated ones or plain lead ones. I have heard the coating on some powerbelts is very thin I wonder if those flakes could have come from the bullets. If it was from the inside of the barrel you should be able to see that. Other than that I don't know what it could be.

The inside of the bore now looks like brand new. Yes the barrel is nickel plated. I am guessing it was chunks of plating that was shot out. But the powerbelts were the pure lead ones with hollow points.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#5 bonecollector34

bonecollector34

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 10:32 AM

Never had that problem

Fatty

Martyupdatedsignature2-1.jpg
Prostaff.jpg

#6 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 12:01 PM

After thinking about this for a day or two if the barrel shows absolutely no evidence of the coating flaking off then it could only be the powder residue or flakes from the lead bullet. Now leading usually appear as smears rather than flakes but other than that there is nearly no other explanation. Powerbelts are slightly under bore size and are supposed to obturate or swell upon firing to engage the rifling. It may be possible that in the act of swelling that the bullet may be shedding some lead. I have heard of those bullets more or less shattering on impact and now wonder just what the brinnel hardness of a powerbelt actually is.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#7 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 04:23 PM

I'm betting its from the bullets. ;)

I've gotten the same thing even out of a 22rimfire. A good bronze bore brush is the best thing to loosen those up I've found. Dip it in a bore solvent like shooters choice, run it in there about 10times. Then wet patch it and patch it dry.

Don't use one of the STAINLESS BRUSHES :no: Those things really will take the metal out of the barrel :eek:
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users