Windows Live Mail

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 19 February 2007 - 02:48 AM

Seeing Fred's post regarding Hotmail reminded me that I, too, have a Hotmail account. I haven't used this account in ages. So, I went to check things out and found (as most have by now) that Microsoft is completely redoing everything over to Windows Live Mail.

Much to my dissatisfaction, the Outlook Express desktop mail client has been discontinued and Windows Live Mail Desktop is taking its place. So, now I feel compelled to switch over to this as I use Outlook Express. (Sorry. I tried Outlook & Thunderbird and hated both. Not that Outlook Express is a real treat either. But, I digress.)

Anyway, after looking through some things, Windows Live Mail Desktop almost looks like the AOL browser to me. (Which makes me definitely not want it on my computer!) Is anyone already using this? It just seems too controlling to me. I like a more "unconnected" e-mail client, if you will. Something that is just a stand-alone app which allows me to read pop mail with web mail access being a bonus. The thing that has me still looking at this instead of already dismissing it, however, is the claim that you can access and even send e-mails from various accounts all in one place. I have about 5 active web mail accounts and 3 pop mail accounts and it would be great if I could get them all "consolidated" somehow. (Which this claims to be able to do.)

Thoughts?
Experiences?
Anyone but me think Microsoft is becoming more and more controlling in our lives than ever? (I think I read about such things in a book somewhere... :o )

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#2 MuleDeer

MuleDeer

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 08:09 AM

I have alway put my hotmail in outlook as well as my RSS feeds. Maybe today I will try and get my G-Mail and yahoo accounts in there too.

#3 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 19 February 2007 - 10:18 AM

Well, I bit the bullet and set it up on one computer. To my delight, it's basically Outlook Express with a few extra bells and whistles. So, now I'll be putting it on all the computers here. Of course, since I don't have Yahoo! Mail Plus (and I'm not paying $20 a year to get it) I now have to tell everyone my "new" e-mail address. (I hate that. There are so many people in my contacts list I don't even remember. It's tough to filter through who I want to know and who I don't. LOL)

sig_admin.png

#4 QueenNorth

QueenNorth

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 12:03 AM

Interesting, I am using Microsoft 2003 Outlook and don't really like it, so this will be something to look at. Glad it is working for you guys!
Posted Image
Queen of the Great White North and Woody
Rolling Castle Blog

#5 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 01:06 AM

Interesting, I am using Microsoft 2003 Outlook and don't really like it, so this will be something to look at. Glad it is working for you guys!

The more I use it the more I like it.

Think Outlook Express as far as the interface goes. But, then think Outlook for it's calendar and more detailed contact profiles. So, you've basically got a blend of the best of those programs and a bunch of other new features worth having bundled together. On top of that, the software is web-integrated. (A perfect example is how the calendar is actually an online feature.) This means that whether you are at home accessing through the desktop software of anywhere in the world accessing on another computer through the mail.live.com website you have all of your information, features and all of your various e-mail accounts right there including the ability to both send and receive from all of your POP accounts!

I know in my case that I had all but forgotten about my Gmail account. But, now I can both read and send e-mail through that account both in the Live Mail desktop software and online at mail.live.com. (Not exactly a new idea, but definitely the most comprehensive approach I've seen to date!) The bottom line is that it saves me time and clicks as I don't have to visit 3 different websites to retrieve webmail and then also check OE for my POP mail. ("Ba da ba ba baa..I'm lovin' it." :roflmao: )

I have also heard rumor in different business news outlets (Fox News just mentioned it this past week) that Microsoft is attempting to acquire "Yahoo!". If that happens, look out. (Hotmail and Yahoo! together... Are you kidding me? Talk about a webmail dynasty/monopoly!) I figure I might as well jump on board now 'cause if Bill Gates wants something he has a history of getting it. :rofl:

sig_admin.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users