Why oh why...

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 20 February 2007 - 06:06 AM

Oh, the PC woes continue. It's amazing. This system was literally "cutting edge" when I got it. (For example, HyperThreading wasn't even released to the public yet, but I managed to get it as it was through DWP when they were still sponsored by Gateway.) Unfortunately, it seems as though this system fell onto the wrong side of the edge! (See my previous RAM topic.)

Well, now it's time to move from speaking of "Failed New Technology" RAM to "Failed or Discontinued Technology" sound cards. Yep... The SoundBlaster Audigy w/ integrated 1394 FireWire. :lol: What genius thought this was a good idea? (Especially in my system as I have at least 4 open slots with everything already in there!) Naturally, my sound card finally fried. I go from having really good sound and 3 firewire ports to no sound and no firewire! I've searched the Internet over looking for the same card as I expected for it to be easiest to just dump the same thing back into the PC as what was in it and every store that claims to have them in stock actually does not... They just haven't removed the page(s) from their website. :doh2:

Oh well, I guess I have to buy a new sound card and a new 1394 card. Oh, and the firewire card has to have an output to control the 4 pin port that is integrated into the front of case... No biggy there or anything. :rolleyes:

Goodness, this is maddening. I also reloaded Windows as things were acting funny and nothing is better. It appears as though I need a new hard drive and I've known my DVD ROM has been acting up for about a year now as well. If I were still working I can guarantee I would have traded in this scrap pile toward the financing of a new one by now. I'm nearing my limit here. :wacko:

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#2 QueenNorth

QueenNorth

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 08:39 AM

Wow Jer, you have had more than your share of computer issues! Can't blame ya for being at the limit! Makes one want to :cowboy2:! Sure hope you can find a solution! :)
Posted Image
Queen of the Great White North and Woody
Rolling Castle Blog

#3 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 11:22 PM

Just curious. What do you need the firewire port for? Camera? There are Firewire to USB cable adapters out there that will work with no 1394 card or software installation at all. But they are not cheap. ($100+)

Any cheap soundcard you get now will likely be obsoleted and rendered non-functional by Windows Vista. So be careful. I'm not looking forward to adopting Vista but I'm not kidding myself. In 18 months to stay online I'll have too.

I feel for you, I had a major meltdown on my desktop yesterday trying to fix some windows issues. Just about lost the entire rig! I had to "sneaker net" cds to it, to cure it.
Posted Image

#4 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 21 February 2007 - 11:32 AM

Just curious. What do you need the firewire port for?

Video capture & occasional external hard drive. Probably for the best as now I can get 800... That is, if I chose to keep this box. <_<

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#5 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 02:16 PM

You must had a DV cam corder. I don't like the format because you have to capture the video from the camera. I know it's supposedly low loss but capturing is always time consumer.

Nowadays dealing with a digital format you can copy directly from the camera to the hard drive is the way to go.

Wish I had a spare sound card to send ya :(
Posted Image

#6 QueenNorth

QueenNorth

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 11:45 PM

Leo, I got a firewire to capture the video off our cam, thought it was faster and a little better quality but have not used it enough maybe just thinking that cause I spent the money eh! :D I did have an issue with the sound not coordinating with the pic using the USB cord is why I got the firewire though. Could that be an issue or just coincidence? Our computer has a firewire port though so didn't have to pay for the $100.00 cord.

Edited by QueenNorth, 21 February 2007 - 11:47 PM.

Posted Image
Rolling Castle Blog

#7 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 01:25 PM

Leo, I got a firewire to capture the video off our cam, thought it was faster and a little better quality but have not used it enough maybe just thinking that cause I spent the money eh! :D I did have an issue with the sound not coordinating with the pic using the USB cord is why I got the firewire though. Could that be an issue or just coincidence? Our computer has a firewire port though so didn't have to pay for the $100.00 cord.

I'll try not to make this explanation too complicated. That's hard because this is a complicated question.

1. Firewire does have a speed advantage over USB 2.0

Here's where it gets complicated.
2. The speed does or doesn't matter.
a.) If you're using firewire to CAPTURE video from a DV cam. Firewire has the advantage.

b.) If you're transferring video files in their entirety from the camera to hard drive via usb. It will make NO difference to the quality of the recording whatsoever.

c.) If you're CAPTURING video files from your camera to your hard drive via a usb connection. You may have a problem. The number of USB devices plugged in at the time you are trying to capture, degrades the speed of the connection. This can cause dropped frames and sound track lag.

Option b.) if it's possible with your camera is the BEST way to go. Any time you can avoid real time capture of a video file you should. Essentially capturing video is recording a copy of an original. It's impossible not to loose some quality doing this.

Many DV cams the firewire capture solution is the only quality way to get the video in a file format. This IMO is the achilles heel of these cameras. It's a built in inefficiency.

DVD cameras and Hard drive cameras are a more flexible setup. For High Definition video the hard drive route is ABSOLUTELY THE way to go. ;)
Posted Image

#8 QueenNorth

QueenNorth

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 12:48 AM

Thanks Leo, I do understand and will use option b. The problem I had was when I was capturing straight from the camera. Thanks for the explanation. You did an excellent job of making it simple for me (a beginner in this area. ;)
Posted Image
Rolling Castle Blog

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users