9 replies to this topic

#1 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 03:49 PM

A question arose from another topic and I was wondering.

What one of these materials is better for today's compound bows? Is 452X better for tuning with a Mathews than 8125? Or does it matter that much when it comes to bowhunting. Or is one material superior to the other for stretch and long life ?

Would one material be better for dual cam bows than single cam bows?

I know some of you guys know a great deal about this topic than I do about this so what say you.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#2 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 21 February 2007 - 04:02 PM

when Jer asked me which Shel used on my strings...I didnt have an answer...I simply called Shel up and told him I wanted to replace the string on my LX and he asked what color combo I wanted. I don't recall us ever talking about which material. I left it up to him....
so I'm waiting to see the replies here as well. :)

always a great place for getting educated :)
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#3 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 04:17 PM

Bruce that's what I did with Shel too. So when it was raised earlier I went poking around other websites and still cornfused :lol:

I'm sure there's a great explanation to this. :P
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#4 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 21 February 2007 - 05:52 PM

The two materials have been discussed here before. (I know our "search" feature is crazy right now but searching "string material" or "8125, 452X" should render good results.)

Shel tends to build from 8125 by default as does Winner's Choice. (One must request 452X to get it.) 8125 tends to look better longer plus it's faster. However, it is less stable (ie. stretches more) than 452X. Now, the theory behind "premium" string companies is that they pre-stretch their materials & strings. So, in theory, you can have the benefits of 8125 without the negatives, or at least as much of a negative.

Personally, I have pretty much sold out to 452X. Even though it is a re-blend of the original 452 material which does not prematurely "fuzz" as rapidly, it still ends up looking shabby sooner than 8125. However, if I want a rock solid string (which I do!) I just haven't found anything as stable to date. Companies like Mathews are shipping 452X strings and cables on their bows, stock. If you have noticed, the common complaint now with Zebra (Mathews string company) over the past 3 years since this became reality has shifted to serving issues. Issues of stretch and/or creep have virtually dropped off the radar!

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#5 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 09:14 PM

Thanks Jeremiah. That does help me with some of my questions but comes down to it is either one much of a difference over the other in performance?

#6 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 08:49 AM

Bowtech and Diamond (owned by Bowtech) have switched to Brownell's TS1 +.

From what I've heard the TS1 + fuzzes less than the original TS1.

We'll see.
Posted Image

#7 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 01:01 PM

Leo you got me asking? Sorry B)

TS1+ is made of what material? And what is the difference between the three string materials? :worry:

Fuzzing? When it starts up is that an indicator to replace the set?

In my limited experience my peep kept turning and the bow reduced poundage on me so the bow shop explained that the strands inside cable or string held by the serving had split and was time to replace it. Made some sense to me but I haven't seen fuzzing but one other time but it was someone elses bow and string looked like it had been cut or scaped badly.

#8 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 04:06 PM

BCY 8125 and TS1+ are 100% Dynema strings HMPE (High Molecular weight PolyEthylene.

The original TS1 material was a Dynema/Vectran blend just like BCY452x and BCY450+. The direct competitor Brownell offers to compete with BCY452x is their new XCEL material.

Vectran blends stretch less but fuzz more. Pure Dynema strings have much higher abrasion resistance. In short they last longer if you can make it thru the stretch period.
Posted Image

#9 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 04:26 PM

Thank you Leo. That does help me understand what the materials are suppose to do and compared to each other is excellent. Seriously you and Jeremiah have helped answer this one and made it easy for a newbie. ;)

#10 Whip

Whip

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • Interests:Long walks in the woods carrying heavy equpment in poor weather. I live to hunt...other than that I am a full-time PhD student in entomology.

Posted 08 March 2007 - 12:30 AM

I would go with 452X. All the Hoyt pros I talk to swear by it. As you will see in my post under archery gear review, I have not not been pleased with 8125.
Sean Whipple
PSE staff
It's not a passion, it's an obsession. ~Mossy Oak

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users