Just not right...

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 25 February 2007 - 03:22 AM

:wacko: :late: :zzz: :coffee2: :zzz: :late: :wacko:

Oh... My... Goodness!!!

It is 4 am and I'm not even nearly done yet. Ohhhhhhhhh... :ermm:

Decided since there will be no church in the morning (or travel of any sort) that it was a good time to "play computer". So, I went out and bought a new hard drive and a 1394/USB2.0 card (with the controller I needed to run the 4 pin port built into the front of my case that was rendered useless by the Audigy soundcard going belly up).

- Installing the combo card... Cake.

- Installing the HD... Cake.

- Setting up Windows... Windows... Setting up Windows AGAIN!... What The... WINDOWS!!! :curse:
First, my slipstreamed XP-SP2 CD (which I've used before!!!) decided all of the sudden not to work. So, I installed the orginal SP1 disk and then installed SP2. (Looooonnnnggggggg... Waaaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiittt...)

- Updating Windows... Updating Windows... Umm... Registering Windows? WINDOWS?!?!? ETHERNET CARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So... Turns out my Intel Pro/1000 MT card driver is not a Windows driver. (I can't download it without an Internet Connection.) So, I download the driver on my laptop. I don't have a keydrive (I will real soon!!!) so I burn the driver to a CD. For some reason, the CD won't read on the desktop. I proceed to burn two more CDs before I realize something is funky. I ended up opening the case back up, putting the old C: back in, downloading the driver, dragging it over to my second hard drive, re-installing new C: and ultimately installing the driver. :wacko: :wacko:

- Now with Internet... Updating Windows... Cake. (About 4 to 5 hours worth of cake! :late: )

I've spent the last few hours just messing with settings. There's a lot of other programs to install, but I have the basics. The system is running like a champ too. (This time I wasn't a moron and partitioned C: for "system" and "programs" so this shouldn't be as big of a mess "next time" Windows decides it wants to crap out.)

I still need to get an internal sound card (running an external SoundBlaster on it now :doh2: ) and I guess I am going to need new DVD/CD drives as well seeing as how the DVD has been acting up for over a year and now the CD drive is crapping itself. (I did blow dust all around with condensed air, so I'll try to clean the eyes off tomorrow... Wait, it is tomorrow... Ummm... At some later time! But, I don't hold out much hope.) I did try the Gateway site for newer drivers just in case... They claim there aren't any even though the Windows defaults are from 2001. :doh: (Need to research that through Sony and whatever the other vendor is... At some later time! :late: )

Never this many problems before with anything I've ever done concerning computers. I hate this box. I really don't want to look at it for the next month. But, we all know that won't happen. Oh well... Live and learn. I've now got a back-up of every driver I use on the second physical HD. (Even though I still don't understand it. I've reloaded this system before without the issues. :wacko: )

Well, good night... morning... sleep time, type stuff. :ermm:

I might as well have installed Vista. :rolleyes:

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#2 MuleDeer

MuleDeer

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 08:50 AM

:geek: Sounds like you had a fun evening, night and morning :geek:

#3 Eric

Eric

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 09:06 AM

Yeah what Mule said. :blink: Just to think after I read the post I'm not any computer smarter than what I was. :huh: :no: :lol:
AKA PA Spike King
Casters Hunting Club
Real Men Shoot Flintlocks
International Harvester Tractors
2008 Realtree Turkey Contest Team Champs!

#4 Larry $

Larry $

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 09:13 AM

And I thought my little e-mail problems were fun. Why don't you open up a computer shop for dummies like the rest of us, Jeremiah? Forget Sportsman's Warehouse.

By the way Jack, my issue was that after I cancelled Earthlink and uninstalled all their programs, there was still an evil version of Outlook Express (which I never use) with earthlink stuff lurking in the background. Why it chose that particular time to start trying to send phantom, non-existent e-mails until Outlook crashed - no one knows. I will choose to believe it was a purly spite issue programed into their software: "So your cancelling your subscriton eh? Well,,,, take THAT!"
Elk: it's what's for dinner!

#5 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 12:32 PM

:roflmao: :roflmao:

I will choose to believe it was a purly spite issue programed into their software: "So your cancelling your subscriton eh? Well,,,, take THAT!"

Larry sounds like a romance gone bad.

Jeremiah you're having way to much fun being off work! :whistle: Just Kidding. ;)
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#6 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 25 February 2007 - 01:26 PM

I ended up not going to bed until 7:30am... woke up at noon. I don't care what happens, I'm never doing that again. (Yeah, yeah, I've said it before.)

We've got about an inch coating of ice over everything outside. (Freezing rain storm, hence the thought of needing something "fun" to do to pass the time indoors. :ermm: ) I've still got a good bit to do yet. So, it worked out "good". :wacko:

========================

One of the main reasons for so many problems I think is that I purposely wanted to do everything from scratch. The system just hadn't been running right for a while. I wasn't sure if it was the hardware, software or bad OS issues. So far I think it was the hard drive. It's amazing how much quieter and quicker the system runs now. Of course, I was able to step up to a little better drive (don't have SATA, but I was able to go from level 5 to level 6 UATA). I went with a Seagate (since they bought out Maxtor and that's all I've known for years) 250 Gig and partitioned 100 for the system and 150 for programs. I've only run into a couple programs so far that didn't give me the option of installing to D:. Everything else is rockin' and it sure is a lot faster to defrag.

Now it looks like the second physical HD has some bad sectors. (It's as old as my old C: drive, so it's not surprising.) At only $95 for the Seagate, I'll probable buy another one before long and swap it. Man, I still remember a dollar a gig as being "good". Storage is crazy-cheap now!

sig_admin.png

#7 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 01:42 PM

And I thought my little e-mail problems were fun. Why don't you open up a computer shop for dummies like the rest of us, Jeremiah? Forget Sportsman's Warehouse.

No... Thank... You!!! :rofl:

By the way Jack, my issue was that after I canceled Earthlink and uninstalled all their programs, there was still an evil version of Outlook Express (which I never use) with earthlink stuff lurking in the background. Why it chose that particular time to start trying to send phantom, non-existent e-mails until Outlook crashed - no one knows. I will choose to believe it was a purly spite issue programed into their software: "So your cancelling your subscriton eh? Well,,,, take THAT!"

It's amazing the crap that ISPs choose to fool with on your system if you use their "install disks". I always try to just configure my modem or network card to the settings I need to run the service and throw the "install disk" in the trash. Comcast sent a dude to my house when I was living in TN to hook up my cable and Internet. They insisted they do the install. (I saw the "install CD" go into my laptop and it was like putting a knife in me. :lol: ) Apparently they think it's cool to change even the headings on your programs. (Like IE no longer said "HuntingResource.com Forums - Microsoft Internet Explorer" anymore. It said, "HuntingResource.com Forums - Microsoft Internet Explorer - BROUGHT TO YOU BY COMCAST!". :angry: ) Very tame compared to what usually ends up being changed by an ISP install disk, but still totally uncalled for. (I actually had to edit the registry to change it back!)

Oh well... DSL Reports website is pretty good for helping you figure out how to run a given ISP without using their install software. They also have a few tips on removing and fixing screw ups like you experienced. Might save you some down time / money, Mr. Money. :D

sig_admin.png

#8 Larry $

Larry $

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 07:39 PM

Thanks dude, but these computer things scare me worse than hunting with Jack. I'll leave the bits and bites to the pros.
Elk: it's what's for dinner!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users