• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 06:31 PM

I am just about to go into withdrawel. I have a few shots to make with my RMC Flintlock that I installed a new vpeep rear sight on. Just about when I think it will be good enough weather wise another system blows in. Today it has snowed and rained. Man I am getting anxious.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#2 Whitetiger

Whitetiger

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 07:42 PM

I know the feeling. Ive been going nuts. theres a section of game lands I havent been to before and I wanna scout & shed hunt. I have the cash to get the canoe I've been saving up for. I cant go to cabelas to get it yet and I want the ice in the bays to melt so I can hit the spawning run of crappies. And to add insult to injury today was supposed to be my wifes suprise baby shower but my mom in law & I rescheduled it to march 17th due to the weather. we had 45 people coming. including family from out of state. God I hate this weather.

#3 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 10:08 PM

It started snowing last night and is still snowing. It was great shooting in the snow today. I seldom let weather stop me from shooting.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#4 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 09:41 AM

I hear your pain Paul. It's either the weather or work related commitments.
We had extreme weather last two weekends roll through Ohio.
I have had to do continuing education classes to be able to renew my business license or this past weekend I spent working our annual Central Ohio Spring and Garden Home Show booth.

I have a friend wanting me to coyote hunt her horse ranch and have not made out to her place in three weeks because the weather or work stuff. :wacko:
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#5 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 09:58 AM

I hear ya Rowdy man that 4 letter word "work" isn't as pressing on me as it used to be but even being retired it rears it's ugly head too often for shooting and hunting comfort.

Cayugad I guess I am a woos although where you live you have winter and a couple of months of bad sledding you call summer. Lol. I don't mind so much shooting in the snow but don't like to shoot while it is snowing and it has done that a lot here lately. Not much accumulation but a whole bunch of time snowing and for most of the time wind at 20 to 30 mph.

#6 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 11:40 AM

Well it is still snowing. We got about a foot of snow yesterday and they said four more inches today. So I have to go and sweep off the shooting bench and then decide what smokepole is going to play today. They are all standing nice and straight on the gun rack with the ramrods raised wanting me to pick them...

You will get out there sooner or later.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#7 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 02:43 PM

Boy cayugad you are right. I have several in the stable that need exerciseing. Maybe they all need to get out into the light of day. I have heard rumors of a recent price increase in bullets and powder have you seen anything on that.
I bought some extra powder when the Goex plant had the fire a few months ago. When I bought that powder the manager of the store didn't even know of the goex plant problems. I haven't heard anything lately on that either.

Gotta go out and get rid of last nights snow too or maybe not. Lol

I may just blow a path out to the bench and a path to the target and say "Snow get out of my way" and just shoot away like you tough guys do waaaay up north. Of course guys and gals like Leo, Tom, and Vickie think I live waaaay up north.

#8 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 08:08 PM

But you do live way up North bud, you really really do. ;) :lol:

#9 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 08:49 PM

Powder wise I am holding pretty good. I still got my supply of Pyrodex RS when Wal Mart sold out. I picked up some Pyrodex P when I was down below in the southern end of the State. I talked a sporting goods store up here to stock Triple Se7en 3f for my White Ultra Mag. And I got a case of Goex when there was a rumor that the one plant burned down. I have just a little Black Mag3 left. A pound of Swiss 2f & 3f and a few shots left of the KIK 3f. So we have the ability to go BOOM!! :lol:

I got the snow blower out, cleaned everything up nice and then went in a got out two rifles. I got out a flintlock in .50 caliber because I like to practice making them work when it is snowing out. I also got an old Hawkins from teh back closet and loaded some conicals in that and threw a bunch of lead out of that down range.

All in all it was a lot of fun. The wood stove was full. The coffee pot was nice and hot. And it really did not matter if I hit anything or not. Just being outside when it is in the 30?s and making loud noises, and smoke is good enough for me for the afternoon.

#10 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 08:51 PM

Cool, no pun intended :lol: . Sounds like you had a great time. :D A freind and I use to go to an outdoor shooting range in Mark Twain National Forest. We'd get there early in the morning with the birds singing and mist rising off the ground. Then we'd load up and fire our .54 cal T/C Hawkens. After the echo died away you could have heard a pin drop. Never failed to give us goose bumps.

Edited by Spirithawk, 26 February 2007 - 08:55 PM.

#11 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 09:15 PM

I must be moving too fast. I went and caught up to a cold or something. I spent all day yesterday running a fever and feeling rotten. I got rid of the fever last evening but still have a cough and chest congestion. I have to get the cough under control before I get out a flintlock. Don't want to infect it with anything.

#12 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 09:14 PM

Well we are in the middle of a blizzard tonight and tomorrow. We are supposed to get 30 inches of snow and with the winds, they think drifting will be a problem. Duluth Minnesota news channel advised that if you do not have to leave your house, don't. There is zero visibility in places with drifting and white out conditions. Needless to say, I did not shoot today. I thought about it, but decided even I am not that crazy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users