#1 Whitetiger

Whitetiger

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 11:44 PM

aerial map

Ok. this is an aerial map of the one public park I get a permit to archery hunt from the local police dept. the saddle in the picture that cardinal drive points to, is where I got my doe. I was wondering, do you think that the deer might bed up or atleast spend some time over on sterners island in the river there? I hunt the below the river, not the top part. In the big bend, there is a railyard that is fenced and a section of woods within that fenced in area. Im buying a canoe in a few weeks and now Im thinking about that island for more then just fishing.

#2 Whitetiger

Whitetiger

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 11:46 PM

since the map on hunt 101 doesnt show up very big, do a search on google maps for East Susquehanna street, Allentown, PA 18103. then scroll up & to the right a little.

#3 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 01:30 AM

Deer on that island will stay on that island. They won't bed there and swim everyday.

Woods on the inside of that bend or the outside may have a small oxbow pond within 50yds of the main river. Find one of those and you've found a hotspot.
Posted Image

#4 mzlloader

mzlloader

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 628 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 08:09 AM

Go to the following link, click on the areal photo, plug in your address you can zoom fairly close, I use the heck out of this out here in az.
Trophy Hunting: Its not about the Size of the Trophy, But the Memories and Experince Of the Hunt That count, SCOUTS OUT,

www.arizonaoutfitter.com

#5 mzlloader

mzlloader

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 628 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 08:09 AM

Go to the following link, click on the areal photo, plug in your address you can zoom fairly close, I use the heck out of this out here in az.

http://local.live.com/

R L
Trophy Hunting: Its not about the Size of the Trophy, But the Memories and Experince Of the Hunt That count, SCOUTS OUT,

www.arizonaoutfitter.com

#6 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 08:15 AM

Agree with Leo unless the water is only ankle deep the deer won't swim each day.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#7 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 08:42 AM

I have the same thing here with archery hunting in parks surrounded by the city. The deer will cross a creek or river in no time flat here. Season before last I was hunting on the ground behind on old blow down root ball and saw a buck get up on this relative larger island from his bed. Next thing I know he's headed up the bank next to me. It had crossed the water and was still wet and headed toward my decoy doe to check it out. The problem was the park authorities wanted a doe taken before any bucks so all I could do is watch.

Yes whitetiger they will use the island.

Edited by Rowdy Yates, 01 March 2007 - 08:44 AM.

"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#8 mudduck

mudduck

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:Interested in almost everything, unless it bores me, then I'm not interested anymore

Posted 01 March 2007 - 10:23 AM

I have hunted along the St. Croix river here in Wisconsin, its a boundry between Minnesota and Wisconsin. It also has many islands in it and the deer here routinely swim from island to shore or from island to island, or across the whole river from one state to the next. One should be able to tell if thats happening on your island by looking for trails coming out of the water on the mainland and how heavy is their usage. Also, if any number of deer are staying permanently on the island-never coming ashore- one should be able to see plenty of sign of over-browsing on the island. Check it out, would be interesting to know what you find.

#9 huntfromthesoul

huntfromthesoul

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 11:03 AM

I agree with Mudduck, I have found the same to be true on the Wi. River in the south western part of the state. We used to find deer on the islands all the time.. The water was deep enough that we used a canoe to get out to the islands. There were lots of tracks leading on and off the islands. I believe they went back and forth regularly.
I choose to live simple so those who can't can simply live

#10 REDGREEN

REDGREEN

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,461 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing,wood carving, waking up with a pulse

Posted 01 March 2007 - 11:22 AM

I also agree with the mudduck. There are regular trails here, that end at the water's edge. I have shot lots of deer on islands. :blink: I have even gotten unscheduled baths trying to access the islands. :lol: Make sure that the ice is safe, before you head for one of them. :yes:

#11 bonecollector34

bonecollector34

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 01:27 PM

Agree with Leo, depending on the depth of the water..

Fatty

Martyupdatedsignature2-1.jpg
Prostaff.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users