11 replies to this topic

#1 Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 05:59 PM

Met Chuck Adams at the Indiana Deer and Turkey Expo weekend before last. He spoke on "Hunting Misadventures" and manned the book booth. I talked to him before and after his lecture and some at the book booth; he signed both books for me.

I found him cordial, intelligent and chocked full of incredible stories. He's not the most riviting speaker I've ever heard, but then he doesn't claim to be. I thought he spoke his mind and did not back up from the "hot topics". He opened a question and answer session following the first lecture and answered hard questions; labeled opinion just that.

I know there are folks who like him and some who don't. I've read his articles for years and really like his writing. You can't determine what kind of person someone really is with one meeting in an environment like the deer and turkey expo, but my impression of him was very positive.
"The Lord bless and keep you. The Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you. The Lord turn His face toward you and give you peace." Num 6:24-26

#2 iamyourhuckleberry

iamyourhuckleberry

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 944 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 06:45 PM

Mark,

Mr. Adams has done much for this great sport we love, but when I listened to him here in Denver, I nearly fell out of my chair-boredom set in and I was tired. I'll give him an A+ for adventures and a C for public speaking. I bet he's different around the campfire.

I'll still tip my hat to the man... :yes:
Posted Image

Lurking in McDonalds near you!

Confidence makes the hunter, PSE makes the bow.

#3 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 04 March 2007 - 07:28 PM

He sure seems like a very nice guy. I would love to meet him in person like you guys have.
-Eric

#4 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 08:59 PM

One on one. He's a great guy to talk to. I can personally vouch for that as well.

He's way tech smarter than most of the "pros", IMO.
Posted Image

#5 bonecollector34

bonecollector34

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 09:10 PM

Very successfull hunter and agreed, not the best public speaker. But no doubts a great hunter.

Fatty

Martyupdatedsignature2-1.jpg
Prostaff.jpg

#6 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 08:12 AM

Got to agree he's done some very notable writing and story telling on his incredible hunts. One of the pillars supporting bowhunting in my opinion. Sounds like his public speaking is on pare with the majority of the hunters I've sat down and listened to at these events then. :(
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#7 huntfromthesoul

huntfromthesoul

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 09:04 AM

Stop and think about it. How could true hunters ever become great public speakers. They spend endless hours on tree stands trying to be perfectly silent. I know for myself that when I do start speaking after a day on stand I almost scare myself.
I choose to live simple so those who can't can simply live

#8 basile j

basile j

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 07:02 PM

Mark,

Mr. Adams has done much for this great sport we love, but when I listened to him here in Denver, I nearly fell out of my chair-boredom set in and I was tired. I'll give him an A+ for adventures and a C for public speaking. I bet he's different around the campfire.

I'll still tip my hat to the man... :yes:

Thanks for the post, this interests me. There is only one thing keeping me from being a professional archer! Ability!
Did he say why he uses aluminum arrows?

Joe

Tip me Hat Also!

#9 Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 03:18 PM

Almost finished with "Life at Full Draw" and I must say I can see his view a bit more clearly. Our hunting community is worse than any sewing circle with regard to rumor mongering and out right jealousy. Here's an example. In the beginning of his career he really didn't care about P&Y so never submitted any trophys. Rumor mill starts churning - he's cheating, that's why he doesn't submit his trophies to the book. So, under the impression that listing his qualifiers (now over 50) would stop the rumor mill, he has them scored and sends in the paperwork and the money. Problem solved? Hardly. Now he's arrogant and egotistical. Can't win. He has nothing but praise for Tom hoffman, Jack Frost, Myles Keller and other famous hunters who, in my humble opinion, are true hunters.

It's really sad that a significant number in the hunting community find it necessary to rip to shreads anyone who takes bigger animals, is significantly more successful or just plain good.
"The Lord bless and keep you. The Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you. The Lord turn His face toward you and give you peace." Num 6:24-26

#10 Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 08:09 AM

Joe,

I'm sorry - didn't see your question until now - why does he use aluminum arrows?

He didn't talk about it and I haven't seen it in the book yet - still not done - but, I would imagine it's because Easton is a major sponsor.

#11 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 02:17 PM

Joe,

I'm sorry - didn't see your question until now - why does he use aluminum arrows?

He didn't talk about it and I haven't seen it in the book yet - still not done - but, I would imagine it's because Easton is a major sponsor.

Easton makes carbons too.

I suspect it's because the last advantage aluminum shafts have over carbons is the wide array of specific spine rates aluminums are made in. Carbon shaft spine weights are VERY broad by comparison. You can nail down the perfect spine arrow with aluminums. With carbons you must tune the bow to the arrow a little. Lots of folks do that with aluminums too. But the truth is usually you only do it with aluminums if you've picked the wrong spine. I'm not saying you don't have to tune aluminums you do. Just not as much.

I'm perfectly fine with carbons. I'm not punching target dots in competition. For expense and durability carbons are tough to beat.
Posted Image

#12 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 19 April 2007 - 07:46 PM

I think it's just 'cause Easton hasn't put his name on a line of carbons yet. :P

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users