• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 7pointbuck

7pointbuck

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  • Interests:bowhunting, muzzleloading, riding atvs, fishing, going to church, and my family and friends!

Posted 07 March 2007 - 09:47 PM

well, i am heading down to texas april 9th for the first of my two texas trips in april. i am just shooting hogs on this one.this will be my first big animal with a bow.(have only killed two turkeys with archery tackle). the problem in texas is it is thick so tracking may be tough. i guess if they are going to run, i want them to bleed something fierce. i am shooting a 29 inch 350 grain redhead carbon extreme arrow with a 100 grain muzzy 3 blade. my bow is at 68 lbs.thanks for the tips.

Bill

Edited by 7pointbuck, 07 March 2007 - 09:48 PM.

"My Freezer is a wildlife preserve!!!"

#2 paturbo

paturbo

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 10:43 PM

Bill, I wish you luck and I hope you have a great time.

MD

#3 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,084 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 07 March 2007 - 11:25 PM

I took out the heart on both I've killed (one with flintlock and one with bow). Neither one went anywhere. Period. It's always my prefered method. But, if you miss... You could be in for a loooong track. Because of this, most folks will go lungs. Again, if you don't take both you could be in trouble. But, it's simply a bigger target than the heart.

I dunno... I think it comes down to the hunter and the shot presented.

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

Posted Image

#4 Whip

Whip

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • Interests:Long walks in the woods carrying heavy equpment in poor weather. I live to hunt...other than that I am a full-time PhD student in entomology.

Posted 08 March 2007 - 12:32 AM

Ya, 2-3'' darn near cost me a hospital trip. I took out one lung and still got charged after waiting a half hour to track. Keep it as far forward as possible.
Sean Whipple
PSE staff
It's not a passion, it's an obsession. ~Mossy Oak

#5 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 08 March 2007 - 04:32 AM

If you take out the heart you're naturally gonna get the lungs on a broadside shot, i'd take my time on shot placement, and wait for a good broadside shot and put the arrow 3" back from the front shoulder, about half way up, that should give you the heart and both lungs, and hopefully make for a very fast recovery. With feral hogs, the problem doesn't lie with the animal you shoot specifically, even if you take it down in it's tracks these things are mean... be extremely careful and make sure that all it's buddies are gone before climbing down... and by no means would i hunt from the ground. Know too many people who have been gored. Have fun and stay safe.
Semper Fi

#6 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 08:09 AM

Bill here's a little tip of a web site I saved. We had up on the old BO site when this topic came up. http://www.texasboars.com/anatomy.html

I wish you all the luck my friend - I know you'll do fine. After this we will go bison hunting ;)
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#7 mudduck

mudduck

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:Interested in almost everything, unless it bores me, then I'm not interested anymore

Posted 08 March 2007 - 08:35 AM

The first trip that Dan and I made to Wilderness to hunt hogs, Neither of us had even seen one ,let alone hunt one. Norm Sauceman recommended we spend the first day just trying to find and see hogs so we could get an idea of sizes, and to practice spotting and stalking them. We did, however, others in the group with rifles and muzzle loaders started shooting right away. The first night then we got to see on video their hunts, and the stories of how these pigs after being shot would turn and come for the hunters. I think I was the only one going to use a bow for hogs and Dan was the only one using a pistol, and I was thinking that maybe we didn't have enough "fire-power". Anyway, long story short, Dan busted a big hog with his .44 and it didn't go a step and I shot a smaller one with my bow-ended up spineing him- and dropped him in his tracks. Aim low, behind the front leg. I was going to post the same link Rowdy did. A midline shot, behind the shoulder will spine the animal, if you miss high on that shot, you will just readjust his attitude from mean to nasty. The heart lays low, real low. I've shot 2 broadside and 1 quartering away and I think I prefer the quartering away shot. Also, I knew that as long as Dan had a pistol, he wouldn't let that pig get me, and I also knew that for short distances, I could out-run Dan. Can you out-run Mike? :lol: have fun, take pics,!!!!

#8 nontypical3

nontypical3

Moving Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 03:07 PM

I think that the best shot placement is to find the hogs elbow and then just go up from there about 3 inchs. I also think that a hog is just to tough, so I wait for broadside everytime. They can go far or live on one lung so it isnt worth the risk of loosing it.

I know a ton of people will tell you otherwise because of the "shield" but most of the time people dont take into account that you'll be using a sharp broadhead which dosent flatten like a bullet. A good sharp BH is more than capable of penatrating.

Good Luck
Bring home the bacon!!

Edited by nontypical3, 08 March 2007 - 03:22 PM.

#9 WayneBizzle

WayneBizzle

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 07:08 AM

I found this for ya.

Posted Image

The proper place to shoot a Boar is in the heart and lung area below the red arrow on the above diagram. A hit above the red line will kill the pig but could cause you to loose the animal. High hits tend not to leave a very good blood trail making recovery very difficult.

Shot placement on hogs is especially important. With a bow, the archer must shoot the hog behind the shoulder and drive the arrow between the shoulder blades for a quick, clean kill.

A hog shot broadside and behind the shoulder blades (a perfect shot on a deer) often will not down a hog.

A shoulder shot is not recommended when using a rifle. A head shot should be made with a rifle. A shoulder shot, though will likely mortally wound a hog, will leave little blood to follow and little chance of collecting your kill.

Unlike thin-skinned deer that most hunters are accustomed to, hogs have a thick hide that does not bleed well. Dropping the hog on the spot is important. Chasing after a wounded hog is especially dangerous and has resulted in many stitches for some unsuspecting hunters.
Posted Image

#10 bonecollector34

bonecollector34

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 01:38 PM

Good luck Bill, aim straight bro

Fatty

Martyupdatedsignature2-1.jpg
Prostaff.jpg

#11 sticknstring

sticknstring

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 12:32 PM

I'll second what Huck said in another post-"they have fix a flat"... They DO have a way of overcoming bleeding! They will bleed "like a deer" if hit CORRECTLY. If not, even if hit fatally- you may not recover them! I've had blood trail peter out many a times(I am an avid hogman-catching/killing over 300 hogs ayear-back in the day) ! If you get into a BIG boar-try to get a quartering away shot(this is your best bet for getting pass thru penetration on those gristle plates). I wouldn't worry about pass thru w/your outfit on sows(if hit correctly). The heart on a hog is between his shoulders. Stick w/lung shots if you don't feel confident about your situation. This way you will still kill/recover your quarry, if you try heart shot and don't hit him good-you'll be in for a long night! A injuried hog is dangerous! I wouldn't worry about them charging you out of the blue-they will keep to them selves, but if you wound one-you will have some work cut out for you! At this time of year , I would highly recommend a hawg-lite/hunting them after dark, when they will be most active. GL-looking forward to the pics!

#12 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 02:40 PM

Posted Image

Here's cutaway view of the vitals that I found today which tells the story.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#13 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,136 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 04:50 PM

Any shot within the first five ribs from left to right, below the midline will down a piggie quickly.

Pigs can go for miles on ONE lung. They also are not nearly as bothered by a diaphragm hole as a deer is. IME, your arrow cuts a hole in a deers diaphragm and it's going down inside 50yds. A hole in the diaphragm collapses both lungs on a deer. How far can you run as fast as you can holding your breath? That's why a quartering shot that clips diaphragm is so devastating on a deer. It simply doesn't work that way with porky. On them a diaphragm cut is similar to a liver hit on a deer. Their lungs don't collapse as easily. With pigs the lungs have to fill up with blood before they quit.

That's why shots below the mid line are so incredibly important.
Posted Image

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users