• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Whip

Whip

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • Interests:Long walks in the woods carrying heavy equpment in poor weather. I live to hunt...other than that I am a full-time PhD student in entomology.

Posted 08 March 2007 - 12:24 AM

I beleive they are really cutting corners now. I just got the "custom" strings I ordered for my Hoyt, and I was shocked at the quality. The thing that really had me at a loss was the bus cables. They are 20 strand strings, but where the bus splits, they didn't loop it!! 10 strands to one side and 10 strands to the other. No loop for travel as even the cheapest stock bow strings have........This means half the material to each limb. I am a bit worried about wear only having 10 strands compared to say 24. I don't think the X-coat is gonna help me much in that department. Anyone else ordered stings from them lately and had this happen???...if so, what is their explanation?
I think Neely Custom Bowstrings in Oregon will be receiving all my business from now on. I think Thomas has it right.
Sean Whipple
PSE staff
It's not a passion, it's an obsession. ~Mossy Oak

#2 Whip

Whip

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • Interests:Long walks in the woods carrying heavy equpment in poor weather. I live to hunt...other than that I am a full-time PhD student in entomology.

Posted 08 March 2007 - 12:26 AM

Plus, the material is 8125, which I have found to be kindof difficult to mess with compared to 452X like Neely uses....grrrr.
Sean Whipple
PSE staff

#3 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 08 March 2007 - 03:23 AM

I won't even try to tell anyone that WC strings today are the same as they were when they first came out.
8125... Well, that's up to the buyer. You can request other materials with WC though 8125 is their standard recommended fiber.

Personally, I wouldn't worry at all about your buss. What you're describing is a fixed or static yoke. (Floating yoke comes standard on Hoyt bows.) In the opinion of many, not just myself, floating yokes do not work as advertised. It seems there is simply too much load in the "V" (which increases as the bow is drawn, no less) for the cable to actually adjust during the draw cycle. The best way to truly tune for top cam/wheel lean is to add more or less twist to one side of a static yoke until the cam/wheel is straight at full draw (which usually makes it lean a little at rest - doesn't hurt a thing). The first thing most of the "pros" I know who get a bow with a floating yoke do is serve it over so that it's static. Or, they put on an aftermarket string which already has a static yoke. For what it's worth, I'm not sure I could name any "large" aftermarket string maker using a floating yoke. :hmm:

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#4 Whip

Whip

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 10:30 PM

Well, I don't know about large, but my zebra twist strings for my target bow were floating, and Neely broke off from WC and they still do floating. I understand where you are coming from, I was just really surprised, the last set of strings I bought from WC, albeit 2 years ago, were not fixed.
I am still in the tuning process, but I got the twist good enough that I have a really solid wall and my cam timing is great. After this thing gets done stretching and I get 100 arrows through it I will be able to see how it works. As far as the yoke having less strands, it probably doesn't make a ton of difference in accuracy, but I am a bit worried about durability. Most of my prostaff buddies are of course...hoyt shooters, so I don't see much else but floating. This was honestly the first time I had even seen a bus like that. So you have comforted me a bit :)
Sean Whipple
PSE staff

#5 paturbo

paturbo

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 10:51 PM

The only set of new strings I will ever put on my bows is Pro String. Quality made and quarenteed. You can save money and you can take that to the bank.

MD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users