• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 08:54 PM

Back in the 30s and for a few even now, benchrest shooters made their own bullets. The offerings most companies had just were not good enough. My father-in-law had all the equipment to do this and gave it all to me. The only problem was it was so long ago that he used it he forgot how. It was a bit of reading some old books by the likes of Col Townsend Wheland, Fred Huntington, Roy Vail, Ray Biehler, Warren Page, and Harvey Donaldson. These men got me on track and I started to experiment. I had a whole bunch of my father-in-law's bullets he had made and took the first 5 Eric and I pumped out to the range with 5 of his best. We shot a 10 shot group and ours hit precisely the same as his best. We have been making our own 22 cal spitzer hollow points 55 gr flat base bullets with equipment made in the 30s but still have not found a bullet commercially made that is better.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#2 REDGREEN

REDGREEN

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,461 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing,wood carving, waking up with a pulse

Posted 08 April 2006 - 11:15 AM

Hey, PA, are you using 22 rimfire cases for your jackets? There are a few around here that do that. They are real explosive when they hit. They fill the case with lead and swage them into shape.

#3 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 06:22 PM

Rg Although many benchrest shooters used the 22 hulls during the war because they could not get the regular jackets. We use the #705 22 copper jackets from Sierra. If anyone is interested, we could post some photos of the equipment.

#4 Larry $

Larry $

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 09:55 PM

I'm interested...
Elk: it's what's for dinner!

#5 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 02:19 PM

Hey Larry I almost forgot about photos of the bullet making equipment. Now that I have a camera that should handle the job providing it wasn't affected by the pic I took of you guys (just kidding). After next weeks doe muzzy season I'll get busy and take some shots of those pieces of equipment and get them on here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users