12 replies to this topic

#1 Whitetiger

Whitetiger

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 10:06 PM

We had the baby shower today since my daughter is due may 1st. While I was there I got to talking to her cousin whos a big hunter and her uncle who is a montanan stuck in a flat landers body trying to get out. He's hunted montana many times but due to his degrading health, 2008 is going to be his last trip out there. As I was approaching them, they kept looking at me then each other and asking if I'd be able to survive it and if Im man enough yet. So stepping up Im like man enough for what? with shoulders back and chest stuck out. Her uncle says to go to montana for 2 weeks with them in "08" for a combo Elk/deer hunt. I darn near fell over. He says between the 3 of us splitting costs, I should be able to do it for about $2000-$2200 for everything but meals. I dont know where in Montana it'll be at yet. My wife said that with the baby on the way, she's not sure if we will be able to. But Im going to work OT when I can. start recycling instead of giving it to the city to recycle & what ever else I can do. Im a flat lander. I hunt whitetails. I've drempt of hunting PA Elk (winning the power ball would be easier). but I dont know what I will need to take with me other then my gps. Ok Elkatrz survivors...... School me please. Im in need of an edumuhcation.

#2 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 17 March 2007 - 11:10 PM

Boots:

not hunting boots
not old worn out hiking boots
not brand new boots.

get yourself a good pair of thinsulated lined, water proof day hikers.
wear them 3 days a week for 4-6 months. when they feel like slippers...they are ready to take to the mtns on a hunting trip.

start swimming laps NOW. I don?t care how much weight you can carry on your back....if you can't breath you can't hike and the air is thin in the mtns.

a hydro pack system of some sort, I prefer a day pack with a 1 liter water pouch...I carry a filter system with me and iodine tabs. ( filter and drop some tabs in if I refill out on the trail some place )

a first aid kit and have some Nu Skin in it for blisters.

good wool socks. a good layer system on clothing. in the mtns temps can be below freezing in the morning, 70's mid day and evening showers that will chill you to the bone. ( or better yet SNOW !!!!!!)
remember cotton kills.
if you need to ask...its time to do some reading.

you don't want to end up sweating and then getting chilled. you need to be able to shed layers and put them back on as you need.

read every book you can lay your hands on about elk hunting
read every book you can about basic survival

know how to use your topo map and a compass besides trusting your electronics.

if your hunting in grizzly country....talk to someone who hunts up there. when you down an elk, make sure you're not there alone field dressing it. make sure you have someone else with you.

don?t run out and buy a whole slug of elk calls. ( specially a bugle )
trust those your with who know how to call ( if your going to hunt that way ) and you?ll bring in more elk with cow calls then you will with huge bugles...if you are going to call. just making the sound isn?t enough, you have to be able to speak the lang. as well.

DO YOUR HOMEWORK. know how to live in the mtns. know what other animals are out there ( cats and bears ) talk to everyone you can who's hunted that area before, listen to their stories and learn from them.
mistakes they have made can save your trip for you.
GOOD LUCK and enjoy the trip.
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#3 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 17 March 2007 - 11:13 PM

Posted Image

enny meeeny minnny mooooo
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#4 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 06:57 AM

Awesome Scott ! :D
Posted Image

#5 REDGREEN

REDGREEN

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,461 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing,wood carving, waking up with a pulse

Posted 18 March 2007 - 11:01 AM

McBruce has it pretty well covered there. Take lots of wool with you, because, even wet, you are still warm. The breaking in of the boots is an excellent idea. Sore feet don't cut it at all.I used javex as a water treatment system, instead of the iodine. The last fellow that I went to the mountains with squawked and complained that he couldn't breath up there, and wanted to stop every couple of minutes to rest. When I told him where to meet me, he caught his second wind real quick, because he was scared of grizzly's. Get your lungs in shape. I hope that all goes well, and you will have the adventure of a lifetime, without any surprises, I hope. We will all be waiting impatiently for the pictures. :D

#6 bonecollector34

bonecollector34

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 08:37 AM

Congrats!

Fatty

Martyupdatedsignature2-1.jpg
Prostaff.jpg

#7 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 06:41 PM

Scott I am an old geezer and I survived Elkatraz III. It is tough to find very much breathable air at 10,000 to 12,000 feet. The climbing isn't as steep as our mountains around here but when done at their elevations it is tough. I did buy a day pack with water bladder and it worked very good. Get a good gps and a compass backup. Get those legs in as good a condition as you possibly can. Besides by the time you get back home that little one will be getting mobile and you will need those legs to chase her down. Get used to that as you will be doing that till she is at least 20 yrs old.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#8 silvertip-co

silvertip-co

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fly fishing, long range shooting, hiking, camping, panning gold, reloading

Posted 20 March 2007 - 07:27 PM

Welcome to the West and 'Public Land Hunting- No Fences Here' . I hope you have a good time. We'll help ya all we can with info. Some good tips on western hunting are found in Eastman's Hunting Journal online or at the local news stand.

Also here's more info than I can think of:

http://members.tripod.com/~elkhunter2/

Best of luck to ya.
SVENSKA50@HOTMAIL.COM

NRA LIFE MEMBER

#9 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 21 March 2007 - 04:37 AM

Hmmm breathing wasn't my problem at E3(guess the humidity here helped me on training for it LOL), it was the altitude sickness, never had much of a problem breathing, but the nausea, headache, cold on the inside with your skin on fire, did me in one night take a bottle of asprin with you and use it LOL either that or possibly dramamine... (don't know which is better) give yourself a day or 2 to aclimatize before you hit the hunting woods, 2-way radios can mean the difference between having to sleep on a mountain-side, and getting back to camp... i speak from experience... take extra batteries for EVERYTHING... layers of wool are excellent. A bottle of hand sanitizer isn't a bad idea either. I think that is a pretty good piece of what hasn't been mentioned yet LOL Have fun and stay safe bubba.
Semper Fi

#10 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 06:50 PM

WT What sort of hunting weapon are you planning on. Bow or Rifle? If rifle what cal?
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#11 Whitetiger

Whitetiger

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 10:10 PM

I was going to take my Savage 30"06 with a 180 grain bullet.

#12 Whitetiger

Whitetiger

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 15 April 2007 - 02:39 PM

I stand corrected its not montana but Idaho we'll be going elk hunting in.

#13 irinman2424

irinman2424

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 15 April 2007 - 02:48 PM

either place would be wonderfull just to get out and try and get an elk and have fun and they are right there by each other who cares about a few miles differance LOL
I believe in fillet and release!

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users