10 replies to this topic

#1 Charles

Charles

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 06:54 PM

Well, I just put the new Federal Premium Mag-Shok with FLITECONTROL Wad Turkey ammo to the test through my 12g Remington 870 Express Mag. Man, do they make a difference.

Mind you the weapon always shot well but these new wads really did improve the pattern. I'm shooting the 3" mag with 2oz. of #4 copper plated shot at 1150 fps at the muzzle and getting 29 pellets in the spine and brain area on a shot at 30 yards using a HS Struts Terminator XX choke.

I think Nate will have a better chance with this setup. The pattern could take him out to 35 or 40 yards if he gets the practice he needs before the season next month.

Give them a try guys. I think you might like them.
5-November-2008 - Today is the first day of the down fall of American as we know it.

#2 Eric

Eric

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 07:04 PM

Charles sure glad they are working for you. :thumbsup: But with the choke I'm useing they are not recomended.
But Pop and I are going to try the Win extended range this year.
I'm still trying to make some time that we can hunt together this spring.
AKA PA Spike King
Casters Hunting Club
Real Men Shoot Flintlocks
International Harvester Tractors
2008 Realtree Turkey Contest Team Champs!

#3 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 08:12 PM

Sounds like a confidence builder anyway - shoot straight and you'll bring it on home B)
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#4 Whitetiger

Whitetiger

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 09:21 PM

I was looking at them. but havent gotten out to cabelas to pick any up lately darn weather!

#5 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 08:44 AM

The one cautionary statement I can give about super tight patterning loads is this.

Inside of 30yds they are a problem! The pattern is so tight inside that range it's almost like shooting a rifle. You simply must have literally practiced and have the utmost confidence exactly where that load is hitting at 15yds.

It's real easy to miss with a softball size pattern at close range. Especially if you try hitting a turkey in the noggin at that distance. A turkeys head can move out of the way in the blink of an eye. Not that they duck the shot at that distance, it's just that a turkeys brain gourd moves an awful lot. Easily outside of the entire pattern. Your best bet at super close range is to center the pattern just above the beard where the neck joins the body. I've literally punched the wad right thru gobblers at super close range. In those cases the bird got every single pellet in the load. So please heed my advice and check out the pattern at 15yds. A 5yds is worth the effort as well.
Posted Image

#6 Charles

Charles

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 09:51 AM

Thanks Leo. I had thought about that and was going to check the close-in pattern.
5-November-2008 - Today is the first day of the down fall of American as we know it.

#7 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 07:02 PM

Leo is absolutely correct as usual. Eric and I put a set of fiber optic sights on our turkey guns and actually aim it like a rifle anyway. Another thing is to cut a piece of foam and put it under nates coat or shirt and it helps with the recoil when sighting in and practice. I sure use a sissy pad when I shoot at a target. I use a pad about 4 inches wide and 6 or 7 inches long and about 3 inches thick.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#8 Charles

Charles

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 07:54 AM

Hey Paul, try one of these Sims Recoil pads. Man what a difference.

BTW, Nate shoots like a Marine!!!! If it doesn't kick he's wondering if it's a gun or a pea shooter, lol. Don't know why but he's never been affraid of the recoil.

#9 Ironranger

Ironranger

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 11:23 PM

I patterned the Flight controls, Hevi shot, and Winchester Xtended range shells in my Remington Super Mag. Found with my Mad choke that the Winchester Xtended range shells patterned better and hit harder than the others. Man those babies pack a wallop!! Left a purple mark on my cheek after one patterning session. This actually probably means nothing as from what I've seen and read, a shell can pattern different from one Remington to another Remington of same model, etc. Just finding one that works with your particular gun about does it...

#10 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 09:30 AM

Thanks for the report Ironranger Eric and I are going to pattern test those Win extended range shells as soon as he gets them. We both shoot Win 1300 guns with .655 Comp-n-choke tubes and with the Win SuperX #6 copper coated lead at 1 7/8 oz these are deadly but want to try something else as the Win Super X's are getting hard to find. The win supremes are very hard to find in less than 2 oz loads. The 2 oz loads we tested shot about a foot high at 50 yds and Eric's sights are as low as we can get them. Man I can buy 3 boxes of the Super X loads for one box of the Extended range. Oh well it is only money.

Edited by PA RIDGE RUNNER, 05 April 2007 - 09:33 AM.

If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#11 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 05 April 2007 - 08:35 PM

I've been using them since their introduction. I've always been a Federal aficionado, but you are right... The Flite Control wad makes a very good shell even better. I have yet to find a shotgun/choke combination in my collection that doesn't pattern well with these shells. That's not to say there aren't some shells that pattern better in a given set-up. But, the Flite Control Federals always seems to pattern more than well enough to take turkeys.

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users