26 replies to this topic

#1 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 10:27 AM

Last fall this topic came up and many different baits were mentioned in bear camp.
What have you used and have seen used in baiting these black beauties?

Have you used any scents commercially made like Jame Valley bear baits or another similar product? Any success noticebly with them?

I'm getting myself all pumped up for it I guess.

Edited by Rowdy Yates, 22 March 2007 - 01:25 PM.

"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#2 mudduck

mudduck

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:Interested in almost everything, unless it bores me, then I'm not interested anymore

Posted 22 March 2007 - 11:32 AM

Lots of guys around here use leftover bread and pastries from the bakeries. In Wisconsin, one cannot use Honey, Bones, Fish, Meat,Cheese,Solid animal fat, Animal carcasses or parts of animal carcasses. Heres a link to the Wisconsin Bear Bait Regs. http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/org/land/wildli...earBaitRegs.pdf . We only have a fall season here.

#3 bonecollector34

bonecollector34

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 05:46 PM

I have always had wondefull luck with grain and dry dog food. The bear has to spend a considerable amount of time to take bait, giving you great opprotunities to look for a mature one. 2 years ago I lost over 600lbs of grain off of one of my lower elevation bait sites.

Anise oil, works pretty well for a spring bait.

fatty

Martyupdatedsignature2-1.jpg
Prostaff.jpg

#4 Whip

Whip

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • Interests:Long walks in the woods carrying heavy equpment in poor weather. I live to hunt...other than that I am a full-time PhD student in entomology.

Posted 22 March 2007 - 08:50 PM

I used doughnuts, some yeast and grain, and a bunch of beans. Top it off with a honey burn and some anise and you've got bears.
Sean Whipple
PSE staff
It's not a passion, it's an obsession. ~Mossy Oak

#5 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 10:07 AM

I have heard that Larry $ just uses Ho Ho breath. It must work as I hear he is a real bear magnet.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#6 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 02:56 PM

Last summer was my first time out after bear but I had watched and read everything I could before on baiting before I went. We used cooking oil and grease flown in from La Ronge, mixed with fish skinns or carcasses from the days catch. We started with this mix and towards the end we were emptying the kitchen of their brown sugar, vanilla extract and blue berry pie filling to get the bears in. It did work.
I've seen other stuff work to like:
Popcorn
beaver
raw meat from live stock
molasses covered bread meal
bacon burns
raw rotten eggs poured in a barrel
dounuts
And what you all added up above.

What did I miss?
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#7 Bob LeBlanc

Bob LeBlanc

Moving Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 04:38 AM

A buddy of mine uses jellybeans. :yes:
He buys them in 5 gallon buckets from a local plant and, apparently, the bears love 'em! Once they knock the bucket over, there's 'beans everywhere, and he doesn't have to keep going out to replenish the bait as often, as the bears keep coming and foraging about.
I've never hunted bear, but he swears it's the 'cat's meow'.

Bob ;)

#8 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 01:23 PM

Haven't heard of jelly beans but makes a lot of sugar odor to get the bear's nose. Thanks for the help Bob. ;)

#9 bonecollector34

bonecollector34

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 02:08 PM

We have our baits out to the snow line, but need more melt to occur to get em where I want em

fatty

Martyupdatedsignature2-1.jpg
Prostaff.jpg

#10 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 11 April 2007 - 09:19 PM

I'm thinking some cans of blueberry pie filling will be going with me this year :)
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#11 Larry $

Larry $

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 07:09 AM

Out here the Division of Wildlife baits there bear traps with a chunk of rancid meat coverd in BBQ sauce. Then they take a plumber's torch and scorch the whole mess. They swear this is irresistable to bears and I've seen it work like magic in person.

If I had to pick the one thing that bears seem to pull out of a dumpster and eat first, it would be dirty baby diapers. :sick:
Elk: it's what's for dinner!

#12 Eric

Eric

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 06:38 PM

If I had to pick the one thing that bears seem to pull out of a dumpster and eat first, it would be dirty baby diapers. :sick:

:idea: Bruce,Larry has a great idea going here. Tell you what I'll start saving all of Tylers poopy diapers
and just before you leave I will send them to you. :ok: :roflmao: :roflmao:
Then when you kill a bear I can tell Tyler when he gets bigger he helped you kill a bear. :lol: :lol:
AKA PA Spike King
Casters Hunting Club
Real Men Shoot Flintlocks
International Harvester Tractors
2008 Realtree Turkey Contest Team Champs!

#13 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 15 April 2007 - 12:55 PM

:) I was thinking, I could hit David and Lorrie up for some old meat from the freezer...pick up a couple of bottles of bbq sause and take my trigger troch with me.....put Rowdy in his stand...cook up the mess and head back to the boat and see if it works....
dont think I'd be wanting to be cooking without someone in the stand keeping watch ;)
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#14 irinman2424

irinman2424

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 15 April 2007 - 01:04 PM

Im with you McBruce Id have someone covering my back when I was lighting that stuff but it would be someone I definitely trusted and knew their shooting capacity LOL
I believe in fillet and release!

Posted Image

#15 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 15 April 2007 - 01:06 PM

McBruce you bring it and you get up in your climber while I'll cook it for you and beat feet back to the boat especially if we go to that stand where Pat killed his - those bears were waiting on Pat and his guide to bring the goody wagon. ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users