26 replies to this topic

#16 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 15 April 2007 - 01:09 PM

Im with you McBruce Id have someone covering my back when I was lighting that stuff but it would be someone I definitely trusted and knew their shooting capacity LOL

Between my adrenaline shakes I took out the heart and the lungs on my bear last year and recovered him with in 40 yards. ;)
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#17 irinman2424

irinman2424

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 15 April 2007 - 01:18 PM

nothing personal Rowdy but Ive hunted with some that seen deer and shot and then I heard that high pitched whistle of rounds flying by me and they knew exactly where I was. I would hate to hear of a hunting mishap happening with anyone on this board
I believe in fillet and release!

Posted Image

#18 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 15 April 2007 - 09:02 PM

we got 7 days....Im gonna be trying all sorts of stuff :)

trigger torch is no big deal to toss in gear bag...pick up some propane on the way :)

Ohhh Rowdy...I got DJ a sign that reads...don't drink the water Fish Cr** in it. LOL
I also got Dawn on that is the road kill cafe menu.

its gonna be a good trip/
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#19 Whitetiger

Whitetiger

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 11:02 AM

Out here the Division of Wildlife baits there bear traps with a chunk of rancid meat coverd in BBQ sauce. Then they take a plumber's torch and scorch the whole mess. They swear this is irresistable to bears and I've seen it work like magic in person.

If I had to pick the one thing that bears seem to pull out of a dumpster and eat first, it would be dirty baby diapers. :sick:

If ya need some, I have my first born due in 2 weeks, i can provide lots of them diapers for you.

#20 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 12:35 PM

If ya need some, I have my first born due in 2 weeks, i can provide lots of them diapers for you.

I can just see the the face on the customs agent when I explain what all the stink is all about and it's just me going through the check-in line at the Canadian border without a baby in tow, "Never used this before to bait bear EH! :lol:
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#21 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 16 April 2007 - 08:46 PM

dont give rowdy any ideas.....cause I"M NOT wearing a diaper NO NO NO.
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#22 iamyourhuckleberry

iamyourhuckleberry

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 944 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 09:45 PM

Mark,

I have used maple syrup while hunting bears. I lay a V pattern in a spot with a good/large shooting lane. The bear walks up one leg of the V and return down the other. Chances for the "perfect shot" are greatly enhanced. They have to move to continue licking. While they're lapping up the trap, you have tons of time to look them over. I've been at bait sites where the bear never provided me a good shot or had a serious rub on one side that was never seen until after the bear was killed. You know, the angle was wrong, something was in the way, etc. The syrup has a way of positioning Yogi right where you need him. It's a cheap trick that works.
Posted Image

Lurking in McDonalds near you!

Confidence makes the hunter, PSE makes the bow.

#23 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 10:59 PM

Marty and I were just talking about this today.

In the early spring, fresh greens and grains win hands down. Why?

Because if you were constipated (hibernating) for five months you are gonna crave fiber and shun red meat ;)
Posted Image

#24 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 04:11 PM

You could use Larry $ as bait. I hear he's pretty good at attracting bears. ;) :lol:

#25 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 06:05 PM

As mentioned, here in Wisconsin there are certain things we can not use. That being any meat or meat by product, fish, etc. So we have to be real selective. We also can not use man made containers to put the baits in.

There are a few things that really get them exited. Go to a bakery and ask if they sell old bread, doughnuts, etc. We used to be able to get that by the pickup load for next to nothing until someone realized what we were using it for and started to charge per pound. Baked goods work real good.

Also in the paper at bear baiting time, places sell 55 gallon barrels of pie filling, chocolate syrup, candy, jams, taco chips, corn chips, and lots of other berry type products. They price it by the demand. So a barrel might look expensive, but will bait you a number of baits and last the season. Just be careful where you put that barrel as I have had bear visit the yard trying to get into them.

Another thing is, go to bars and restaurants that serve food. Ask them if they have fryer grease. Many of the restaurants are more then glad to get rid of it, since some places charge them a fee to dump. The shortening from fryer vats is vegetable based and legal here. So we get big 5 gallon buckets of it. This can be used for a couple things. You can hang a bucket up in a tree out on a limb at least eight feet off the ground. Then drill or punch a very small hole in the bottom. That tiny hole will drip that fryer grease on the ground or bait pile and I have seen bears eat the dirt to get that stuff. Also with it up in the air and wind currents, it will draw bear in real good. If you have time take a metal pan out with you and a torch, heat some of that stuff up so that it starts to burn. The smell will go all over the place and draw bears. Another advantage of it is, bear will get it all over them and track it back out of the baits. Other bear will pick up on that and track it back to the bait station.

If you can not find base bait like chips, or cookies, then go to a Sam's Club, Costco, what ever and get their cheapest popcorn you can find. With an air popper, pop up a couple garbage bags of popcorn. It makes a great base bait and absorbs the other extra baits like syrup, jams, what ever and is small so the bears need to take time to get it out of the bait station. Another good base bait is dog food. The cheaper the better, but we have to be careful there is not bone meal in it which there normally is. Although it is a good thing to carry and sprinkle in the woods as you walk in.

What I like to do is dig a hole in the ground about 1 1/2 to 2 feet deep, 2 feet in diameter. Pour your bait in the hole. The base bait goes in first then your flavored baits on top of that. Then gather up lots of branches, sticks, rocks, etc to cover that hole. Lay the sticks in a cross pattern over the bait hole so that they get strong enough to support weight. The put rocks, logs, etc on top of the sticks. This will keep the raccoons, squirrels, deer, etc out of a bait but a bear does not even slow down when they come on this. Also if you find logs throw fifteen feet, etc off the hole the next time you come to bait, you have a big bear in the area. They will throw that stuff off the hole. The bigger the bear the further they throw the stuff.

Also take in a couple five gallon pails of beach sand. Spread that sand around the bait hole. It will show you the direction the bear come in, and you can judge tack to see if it is a sow and cubs, or a lone bore. Also it will show you how big the bear is. Once you find the paths the bear are using to come in to the station on, then tie red ribbons on the trees 3 feet off the ground next to the path. These can also act as distance markers as well. But if the bears back is up to that ribbon and his head in wide between his ears, blocky snout, and his belly hangs low to the ground, you have a real shooter there.

The best thing with that hole is, as that bear reaches out to start dragging the logs, rocks, etc off. They extend that front leg. If the bear is a shooter, and he has that leg stretched forward, lay you arrow, bullet, what ever right behind that leg through the vitals. Try and get both lungs. A bear with a one lung hit will go a long way and is not in a good mood when you come looking for him. Also after you shoot, should the bear run off, watch him close for his direction of travel and listen. If they go down they will often times let out a moan that will curl your hair. Its called a death moan. If the bear is not a shooter, they will lay down on the ground by the bait and have to dig the bait out of the hole. It takes them a long time. I've seen them even stick their heads in that hole. Kind of hard to see you draw or aim when their head is in that hole. Bigger bear will run the smaller bear off a bait station.

Remember scent contol is vital. Also make some noise when you walk in to bait. I have walked in on bear at the bait station when I would go to fill it. Or they will be standing off about 50 yards waiting for you to dump it. It can make your nerves twitch. I also always go armed with a handgun when I bait. Never take your pet in there. Bears and dogs do not get along and bear will avoid dogs for the most part although I have seen then chase dogs. Baiting is not the time to take fido for a walk.

When you hunt, watch wind directions. Flour is a good way to find the wind. Throw a little in the air. It will drift off and you can watch it. I had baited for a person one year and we were out all day on stand. We finally decided to go back to my house for some more bait and try a different place. As we approached the house We saw two bear in the back woods near the house. We then put a stalk on them and got close. They were looking for my bait storage barrels. So I told the person to take one of them as they were both shooters. He shot a bear with in eye sight of my back door. It went over 300 pounds, and it was the smaller of the two. It field dressed to 289 pounds. The other one was half again that size.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#26 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 09:01 PM

on the list that I want to try ( beyond what they already do via the outfitter )

blue berry pie filling
hucks V spread
sterno/pie tin/ honey ( bear crack )

also taking my climber...so I can set up off of the normal stand placements, and work the circle around the bait site.
thanks for all the tips :)

Edited by McBruce, 13 May 2007 - 09:06 PM.

McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#27 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 07:57 AM

Bruce do you remember having this conversation with DJ last September about all the different baits and baiting techniques well this list has got to be one of the best I have ever read in any article.

Thanks Guys for all the help - again you're the Hunting Resource. ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users