• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 07:30 PM

Eric and I have a number of rifles chambered in 219 Donaldson Wasp. There are a bunch of variations of this particular round and we must have one of the variations. We do not have any case forming dies. I have done my best to measure my cases and compare them to what is listed in reloading manuals and mine differ in several length measurements. I would presume that making a cast of the chambers of our rifles before going to the die manufacturers would help but I have only a few clues as to how to go about doing that. Anyone here have any answers to making a cast of the chamber.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#2 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 03:48 PM

I've never done it. I know midway usa carries the chamber casting alloy.

I understand the cast may continue to shrink for quite some time and it's very sensitive to temperature changes. That's inherent to a low melting point alloy so there's no way around it I know of. I doubt any die mfgr is going to accept a cast as a benchmark.

According to Chuck Hawks there was a lot of tinkering with the Donaldson case neck length. Bench rest shooters customized the case neck length to the bullet they were using to squeeze out that last bit of accuracy.

Pretty much I think you're going to have to send off one of the rifles to get the right die set made to match it.

Sorry :(
Posted Image

#3 REDGREEN

REDGREEN

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,461 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing,wood carving, waking up with a pulse

Posted 27 March 2007 - 06:12 PM

PA, if you send RCBS a fireformed case, they will make you your dies. P.S. Love the wasp!

#4 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 08:06 PM

At least our chambers are all the same. Where My measurements differ from what is in the reloading manual is length to the shoulder and overall length. Of course We will need more than just reloading dies. We will be reforming 30/30 cases down to 22 cal and this much restriction requires an intermediate die to accomplish.

RG Yea Eric and I love our wasps too. We can send a 22 cal bullet out at over 3500 fps if we wanted to. We usually don't load that heavy though. Oh yea that is with our own home made bullets. I know that I promised to take some pics of this process but just have not done it yet.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#5 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 08:43 PM

PA, if you send RCBS a fireformed case, they will make you your dies. P.S. Love the wasp!

I was not aware they did that. Good info.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users