18 replies to this topic

#1 MuleDeer

MuleDeer

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 06:51 PM

Nice shoot'n, congrats on the turkey Huck.

Are the Colorado turkeys still buried under snow?? :rolleyes:

#2 iamyourhuckleberry

iamyourhuckleberry

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 944 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 10:19 PM

It's melting here pretty fast Jack. Thank goodness our birde have long legs and big lungs!

I'll post the full turkey story ASAP...what an wonderful day. The PSE was singing! :rolleyes:
Posted Image

Lurking in McDonalds near you!

Confidence makes the hunter, PSE makes the bow.

#3 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 08:22 AM

Way to go Huck. Looks like I've got my work cut out for me. Congrats bud.

#4 Charles

Charles

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 10:12 AM

Man, you don't know what you're missing til you drive the 'Love Machine'!!! More fun then any NASCAR, lol. Way to go on the birds, Will.
5-November-2008 - Today is the first day of the down fall of American as we know it.

#5 REDGREEN

REDGREEN

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,461 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing,wood carving, waking up with a pulse

Posted 28 March 2007 - 10:28 AM

You got a turkey, Huck? Congrats on the bird. Does that mean that dinner is at your House?I like legs and thighs. :P

#6 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 10:29 AM

:clap: Congrats on the bow kill turkey. I definitely want to read the story how those Colorado birds get arrowed! I'm trying harder this spring to find a flock to hunt. :yes:
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#7 RicF

RicF

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 05:24 PM

Huck ,......Congrats on the bird..... :yes:
PATIENCE - Kills Turkeys !!

Ric's Hunting Page

Posted Image

#8 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 06:18 PM

Congratulations Huck. That is one nice tom. You da man.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#9 bonecollector34

bonecollector34

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 08:47 PM

I am hoping to play with you kids on this one. I am hunting easterns, Merriams and Rios this spring..

Watch out huck, fatty is a' sneakin' up behind ya

Fattimus

Martyupdatedsignature2-1.jpg
Prostaff.jpg

#10 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 02:42 PM

I am hoping to play with you kids on this one. I am hunting easterns, Merriams and Rios this spring..

Watch out huck, fatty is a' sneakin' up behind ya

Fattimus

Is you going for the slam this year? If you get those three you only need to make a trip south for the fourth and you're slammed big man. :bigthumb:
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#11 bonecollector34

bonecollector34

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 04:31 PM

Oh you know it.

Actually, I am either gonna try for a Goulds in Mexico or a South Pacific turkey when I am in Australia later this year.

I see turkeys

Fatty

Martyupdatedsignature2-1.jpg
Prostaff.jpg

#12 iamyourhuckleberry

iamyourhuckleberry

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 944 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 05:13 PM

The full story:

2:00 pm March 24th…Then, the situation in front of me: should I stay or do I go? The weather outside was gloomy. The forecast didn’t look much better…Was a turkey really worth all that?

I drove through some of the worst cloud bursts I have ever experienced. Rain mixed with hail and snow came down so fast that my wiper blades were unable to keep up. Only able to drive 30-35 miles per hour, I had my nose pressed against the wind shield for several hundred miles. Visibility was limited-a white knuckle event for sure! I was questioning whether or not I had made the right decision (drive twelve hours round trip to hunt for 4 hours). By way of cell phone, my good friend Marty Killion, from Lamarie, Wyoming, was giving me snow updates and the thoughts of glory as I traveled. In retrospect, his was a comforting voice in my ear. I arrived later than planned and slept on the most uncomfortable couch. Saturday night through Sunday morning was entirely sleepless! Through it all, I remained positive...

Early Sunday morning, Rich Walters and I were off-although, running 45 minutes later than planned (Rich slept through his alarm clock and I had no clue what time it was other than o dark thirty). Without coffee or donut, we jumped into a double bull blind just as the sun was peaking over the horizon. Luckily the turkeys, the reason we were there, had already flown their roost. The first twenty minutes of the hunt were incredible-beyond words. I admired the beautiful sunrise and abundant wildlife. Sadly, I had failed to pack my camera-something I have never done! I missed photo ops on sand hill crane, deer, an owl, a hawk, three gorgeous wood ducks, and multiple strutting gobblers. I was kicking myself then and still kicking my self now! How could I have been so forgetful?

While glassing deer 200 yards out in a pasture, I noticed a line of turkeys running in the direction of the blind. I announced their presence and ready my equipment for a shot. The inside of the blind was still dark and it made locating equipment difficult. The fact that I was in panic mode didn’t help either. By the time I was ready, the turkeys were only six feet in front of the blind. A big tom (the one in the photo) gave me “the” perfect broadside shot from 12 yards. I drilled him! He ran off with 4 inches of arrow still inside his chest. Five other toms pursued him for 70 yards. When he stopped, the five brutes started jumping on and spurring his failing body. He ran off again and the toms continued the chase. He finally made it to a tree line of cedars (where we found him tucked in and dead).
The five toms broke off their bullying way and ran back to the main group-approximately 40 hens and small jakes still scratching around the blind. Rich had me ready another arrow (I had two tags and Rich wasn't planning on killing a bird that day. He prefers to call in birds and loves to watch them strut. At this early stage of the spring ritual, the bird weren't receptive to calls-Rich preferred to wait). One of the five toms stopped 19 yards in front of the blind. I drew and shot. It was unbelievable! I missed-low! The turkeys ran off! It was difficult for me to understand. At 19 yards, that should have been an easy chip shot. I felt so stupid!

There were, however, turkeys still scratching behind the blind. Three of the twelve were jakes. I made the decision to shoot one, and from a mere six yards I blew an arrow right through the unlucky gobbler. He leapt into the air and flew off and out of sight. I completely lost track of him.
Not wanting to reveal our location, we waited until every turkey had moved off before exiting the blind. The wait lasted about an hour. I was terribly anxious to gather my downed birds. We felt the search for the Jake was our first priority. Long story short, the search was going to be nothing short of a shot in the dark. We looked and looked and looked. Without really being able to see him, we hadn’t a clue where he had flown-Nebraska is big! Where do you begin? We checked in and around and under every bush in the general direction of his flight-nothing!
We walked off in the direction of my first bird. Of course, I had that “what if we cannot find that bird” lump in my stomach…

We moved thirty yards through cottonwood and cedar trees along the edge of a slough. Rich spotted about 50 turkeys milling around in an adjacent corn field. Multiple toms were in full strut. It was a spectacle to witness! The thought of maybe getting a shot crossed both our minds. We maneuvered forward. Ten yards of slough, a barbed wire fence, and seventy yards of real estate separated us from the birds. We glassed profusely! We were both paralyzed when a hen walked out right in front of us! She moved from right to left 20 yards away. We were literally two frozen statues! She never knew we were present (our camouflage had done its job)! She was followed five minutes later by a band of hens and jakes. Neither Rich nor I were ready for their approach-our bows were lying on the ground. They paraded 25 yards away and then walked back towards the direction from which they came. Again, not a single bird noticed us. That event sent a signal to my brain. That little voice said “hey stupid, get your bow ready!” I listened and made ready!

It didn’t take long before I noticed red heads moving through the grass. Two jakes were walking the fence line, taking the same path as the previous birds. They ducked in behind a cedar tree and I drew my bow. They broke cover and stopped. The first jake, sporting a four inch beard, gave me the perfect wishbone shot from thirty yards. I released and the arrow center punched him. It exited through his back severing his spin. He dropped like a ton of bricks. The excitement wore off quickly when I realized he was on the opposite side of the slough (Another story).
With bird in hand, we made for the one still in the bush. It didn’t take long. We found the first bird died. He expired within five feet of entering the tree line. What a dandy bird! The lump in my stomach dissolved. It was time to celebrate!

We started back towards the blind to gather our gear. “Wait”, said Rich! There were turkeys scratching and eating the new emerging grass shoots around the blind (that is why they like that spot so much). The hunt was back on!
We tucked ourselves back into the tree line and belly/elbow crawled to within 25 yards of 30 birds. Rich popped up and made a super shot on another tom. It was a fitting end to four hours of hunting!
Posted Image

Lurking in McDonalds near you!

Confidence makes the hunter, PSE makes the bow.

#13 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 05:50 PM

I'm not getting to go here lately. Glad someones bustin them.
Posted Image

#14 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 06:42 PM

Wow what a story Huck, and two birds to prove it. Maybe now you can see why some of us are so addicted to those birds. Just remember your camera next time.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#15 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 04:25 AM

Super Hunt Will !
Glad you got to arrow two Toms. Did you shoot through a mesh window or was it open? I want to try for an archery Gobbler harvest this spring from a blind. All I can say is....12 hrs of White Knuckle Driving!!! :wacko: ...geez, it's only a 5 hr flight from Denver to Williamsport and a 4wd limo ride to camp (no couches either) :whistle: ...along about April 28th !

Edited by Phil, 31 March 2007 - 04:26 AM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users