• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 10:31 AM

A while back on a different forum a poster, Roundball, posted about a new lube he was trying out made by Hoppies. It is both a solvent and a lube. He showed a patch of the results after 50 shots. The patch was very clean and not fowled too bad. I purchased a bottle of the lube and decided to test for myself.

The Hoppies lube was used on pillow tick patch cut at the muzzle. The roundball was a Buffalo Bullet Company 177 gr. I was shooting 90 gr of Goex 2f. The hits made by the Hoppies are numbered in blue.

I personally did not like the lube although the smell brought back some nice memories of my younger days cleaning the rifles with Hoppies. I also noticed a little resistance when loading the roundball. I only fired five shots before I decided to swab the barrel as they were getting harder and harder to load.

After I swabbed the barrel clean, I then loaded with the same ball and powder except I used my homemade moosemilk as the patch lube. These are lettered hits A-J. I was much happier with the loading and the way the rifle shot the roundball. After shooting 10 shots with the moosemilk, I swabbed the bore.

I then switched powders to Pyrodex RS in 90 grains and the same moosemilk patch and ball. I fired five more shots with the Pyrodex RS and was happy with where they hit.

Perhaps I did something wrong with the Hoppies lube. I found it necessary to get the patch pretty damp to get a smooth loading with it. Also when I swabbed the barrel after five shots with the Hoppies and after ten shots with the Goex and moosemilk patches, I could not tell any difference in the amount of fowling that came out of the barrel. All of the patches were filthy. While my results did not match those of Roundball, this does not mean you might have an entire different experience with the Hoppies solvent and patch lube.

I figure I will just clean guns with it for the time being and stick with the moosemilk that I know works out of my rifles.

Posted Image
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#2 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 02:38 PM

One thing I should note.. Roundball was shooting 50 grains of Goex 3f. I on the other hand was shooting 90 grains of Goex 2f. Just the difference in the powder charge and grade of powder might have made the difference.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#3 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 06:37 PM

Fine shooting Cayugad. The traditions buckskinner I have seems to dirty up fast too with bp. Either 2 or 3f. That one has a 1;20 twist so I never tried any round balls. That is the one that is tight bored. After I ran patches with JB Bore paste 100 times through it I borrowed the rear sights off it and have never shot it since I did the bore paste thing. Of course just after that I got the Knight Bighorn and know that traditions will never match it in accuracy. I am curious about it though and plan on getting a rear sight my next trip to the shop.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#4 Eric

Eric

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 07:16 PM

Uhhhmm Cayugad why was he using 50 grains?
AKA PA Spike King
Casters Hunting Club
Real Men Shoot Flintlocks
International Harvester Tractors
2008 Realtree Turkey Contest Team Champs!

#5 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 08:22 PM

A lot of people will drop the charge when they target shoot. At close range it really makes little difference in accuracy, recoil is less, more control of the rifle barrel is present, it costs less to shoot, and normally the fowling is not so bad. I have spent a few days on the range shooting light loads. Actually even a light 50 grain load has plenty of killing power.

In my Wolverine inline I squirrel hunted one day shooting 50 grains and roundball. It was very accurate.

#6 Eric

Eric

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 08:57 PM

Actually even a light 50 grain load has plenty of killing power.

I do not question that at all, I was just wondering because I have not done that. Thanks.
AKA PA Spike King
Casters Hunting Club
Real Men Shoot Flintlocks
International Harvester Tractors
2008 Realtree Turkey Contest Team Champs!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users