• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 06:06 PM

While out working in the yard today I came across a real supply of lead. These were the 500 gr Bullshop Conicals that I shoot. I was amazed at the pristine condition of the bullets.

I found all of them in an area not more then two feet square. I am guessing these were all fired when I was sighting in my new Thompson Center 1X scope. I had moved the target up and in front of deep snow, so these conicals must have entered the snow bank, slowed down, and finally came to rest under the snow. After the snow melted of course, they they sat right on top of the ground, plain as day.

They averaged in weight from 492.4, 494.2, 494.2, 494.2, 493.8, 493.8, 494.8, & 495.8 = for an average weight of 494.15 gr.

I then got to wondering how the unshot Bullshop weighed. So I got the following readings.. 493.6, 495.6, 495.4, 495.6, 496.8, 496.8, 495.0 = equals an average weight of 495.54 gr

The rifling marks are apparent on the spent conicals but actually other then that, and missing the lube they look almost as if they could be fired again. They lost nothing compared to the new ones, as far as diameter. So if you get enough snow, you can stop a large conical. It only took about a 8 yard thick snow drift..

Posted Image

Later, I decided to increase the shooting distance my range allows. So what better way then check things out then to walk the area I need to log off, and brush out. The amazing thing is some of the projetiles made it out of the trap through the cracks, or after a plate was knocked out of place until discovered. Some of these projectiles traveled as far as 100 yards behind the trap. I found trees that were shot clean through. More trees actually then I ever dreamed. So much for my thought of being safe with a bullet trap in place. Looks like I need a new trap or a big dirt pile to shoot into.

Anyway, looking around on the ground on the back side of some of the trees shot through, I found conical bullets on the ground. These trees were another 100 yards from my bullet trap which is 100 yards from the bench.

Posted Image

I suspect a roundball had made it back there and a maxiball as well. All of these conicals and chunks were laying on the ground on the off side of some of the trees. If I cut all the way back to where these trees and bullets were found, I would have close to a 170 -200 yard range.

This also brings up a important aspect of our sport. Know what is behind what you are shooting at. If these conicals still had enough steam to penetrate a 6" - 8" Balsum or popular tree, what do you suspect would have been the case if a person was back there on my property? It sure made me think...
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#2 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 06:41 PM

Man oh Man Cayugad that is so true. I don't know how many times I said to my boys "You can only control the bullet till you press the trigger". After that it is out of your control. I too was amazed when I shot through the 55 gal steel drum at 50 yds and the bullet traveled another 35-40 yds where they cut about a foot long furrow till they stopped. I recall they were Hornady XTP bullets with 80 gr of ffg BP.

We all tend to think of the muzzleloader as a short range rifle but your experience sure proves that they are killers at much further than you or I would attempt. That isn't just with a muzzleloader either. My son-in-law shot at a big gobbler and killed a hen about 60 yds behind the tom. That was with a shotgun.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users