Huntingresource.com Chat Solution

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 30 March 2007 - 09:12 AM

I would like to take a minute to address a few questions/issues concerning the new HuntingResource.com chat room solution.

The new chat room does not use the same member account database that the forums do. In other words, just because you are registered for the forums does not mean that you are registered for the chat. There is no relation. (Despite many not realizing it, the old HuntingResource.com chat room was the same way.) The new chat room, for some reason, does not like certain user name characters. (I still have not figured out why it does not like more "simple" names on occasion and may never do so. :hmm: )

The old HR chat room had absolutely no moderation. It was a totally free chat provided "as is" with no controls what so ever. Problem members simply could not be dealt with. The staff did not even have the ability to "gag" them from chatting, let along boot them from the room. True, we really had no issue with troublesome chat room users up to this point at HuntingResource.com. However, as most of us should realize, the bigger/ more popular a site gets, the more likely that trolls will come in and try to ruin a good thing. With that in mind, the new chat room solution truly is in the best interest of all involved.

The new HuntingResource.com chat room solution is very usable with several good features, is fully moderated, and is also still free to us as was the old chat room solution. (Mind you, the new chat room does not even require advertisements!) As staff, we now have all of the same controls (and more) that we ever had on any of the old paid chat room solutions used at the former website many of us came over from. As members, we have a very usable and interesting chat room solution that can be in place for a long time. As a result, the new chat room is here to stay. (Unless there would come unforeseen reasons to change, of course.)

One final note on an integrated solution: Hosted chat room solutions with database integration start at an annual price nearly equal to the entire HuntingResource.com website and forum hosting cost combined. I have looked into solutions that we could host ourself now that we have a large enough server space. But, none have really stood out from among the crowd. To be brutally honest, I have not handled a chat room with enough activity to warrant such cost since the "Secrets of the Hunt" website was online and Dave Watson used to tell folks to log on and chat with him after each show.

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users