9 replies to this topic

#1 Larry $

Larry $

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 08:00 PM

Time to get old Bessy restrung (string and cables). I had intended on getting a Winner's Choice, but after reading another post I'm not so sure. What do you guys recommend and why?
Elk: it's what's for dinner!

#2 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 31 March 2007 - 08:01 AM

larry:
I went with Pro String. although it did raise some eyebrows when I walked into Western Archery as asked them to install it for me. You see Western Archery in Salida is an archery supply wholesaler and they make and sell their own line of strings, which are carried all over.
Don at Royal had a whole wall of Western Archery Strings and unless you special ordered something, that is what he would put on.
The string you have on your bow, is a Wester Archery String and if this is the first change out, you've done really well. That string is about 5 years old now. I had it put on when they replaced the riser on that bow.
Plan a trip up to the cabin in the mtns and we can run over to Salida and do some shooting and have them put a new string on for ya :)
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#3 Larry $

Larry $

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 03:35 PM

5 YEARS!!!!! :o It's actually still in pretty good shape except for where I just barely nicked a cable while installing the Zero-Effect rest. That was a couple of years ago and it's just now starting to unravel to where I'm getting nervous.

Ya know what.... maybe I can take you up on your offer. Mel is in California at a catering gig for a couple weeks and we don't have any guests here next weekend. I'm going pheasant hunting on Saturday, but maybe I could trade my Sunday off for another day off and make the drive up. I know the boss pretty well. ;) What day works for you in the next two weeks?

So why the Pro-String over the Western Archery?

#4 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 31 March 2007 - 04:39 PM

Pro String is a sponser of HR, this website that I hang out at once in a while. so I figured I'd give them a shot. Also with my new grip being rose wood...Pro string let me pick the colors I wanted...which I did red and back to match the new grip.

Western Strings are usually tan and black, like the one you have on there now.

Western is not open in the evenings...they close at 5:00 but the guys working in there come very close to Don at Royal when it comes to customer service and knowing how to set up a bow.

Edited by McBruce, 31 March 2007 - 04:41 PM.

McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#5 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 05:03 PM

oh by the way, tue or wen should work....if you wanna come up give me a call.
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#6 Larry $

Larry $

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 03:45 PM

See ya Tuesday morning!

#7 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 06:17 AM

ok soo you got new bow strings and Mel got new arrows......keep us filled in on how you like the new strings once you get through the break in period. :)

that means shooting daily for this next week. at least 10-20 arrows a day. :)
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#8 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 12:25 PM

A little over a week ago I finished making my second set of strings. I was so happy with the results of the strings and cables I made for my Hoyt, I wound a new bowstring and cable for my Bowtech. I'm quite pleased with how they perform, on both bows. I don't foresee me buying a factory made string in the future.

I don't recommend that project to anyone. It's very time consuming and takes quite a bit of planning to do right. I don't plan on making them for anyone but myself. I did however learn a tremendous amount about bowstrings as a result. Absolutely enough to start a brand new post about strings and cables. I do that later.

My recommendation if you are not going to be changing strings on a semi-annual basis is STAY AWAY FROM VECTRAN BLEND STRINGS. Vectran blends are great strings for folks who change strings often and cannot tolerate a break in period. IE. you shoot tourneys and competition.

Hands down winner on longevity is a pure Spectra (HMPE) fiber string. There are specific reasons the Vectran blends creep less, unfortunately all those reasons absolutely contribute to a shorter life string.

The creep of a CORRECTLY installed HMPE string is very small and absolutely manageable.

My current favorite bowstring material is TS+. This is very different string than Brownells TS1 that TS+ quite often it is confused with. TS+ is 100% HMPE. TS1 was a Vectran blend.

If you can't get a TS+ string. 8125 is my second choice.

Edited by Leo, 05 April 2007 - 12:27 PM.

Posted Image

#9 Larry $

Larry $

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 01:37 PM

Thanks Leo, you are always educational and insightful. A guy who makes his own bow strings? Zowie! You get my vote for Man's Man of the Year.

Anyway, I already made the trip to Salida and had a Western Archery string and cable set put on. So far it's shooting better than me and I will follow advice to put a couple hundred arrows through it before I get worried too much. It's a great excuse to put the computer to "sleep" and step outside.

#10 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 08:04 PM

Here's pictures of the ones I made for the Hoyt. No pictures of the Bowtech yet.

Bowstring
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users